PDA

View Full Version : Federer using one side of racket, same side for forehands/backhands..

morten
01-25-2010, 02:40 AM
what i mean is, always the black side of the beam/throat facing upwards, interresting.. even though he constantly spins the racket in his hands... because of the assymetric blx design we now know.. :) custom mold for sure

DNShade
01-25-2010, 02:44 AM
That's very common for pros and high level players - and no need for a custom mold. Just something you get used to. I'd say it's probably more common for pros to hold the racket the same way every time than those that don't.

I do it all the time and spin my stick in between shots as well and I always land on the same side and I don't use a custom grip. Your hand just knows and you learn how to spin it so it always lands the same way in your hand. You don't even have to think about it. Just comes from having a stick in your hand a lot.

morten
01-25-2010, 02:47 AM
:) yes i know, just an observation.. Still think it is custom as he switches frames constantly.. well atleast they are identically wrapped..

DNShade
01-25-2010, 02:52 AM
I'm sure all the grips are matched and stuff by P1 - same exact leather grip wrap and overgrip wrap etc. I'd assume no less from P1. One of the things they do right off the even for their casual clients is to have you pick your favorite feeling stick handle - and then they match all your others to that. Now if he has a true custom grip shape or anything else - no idea. Only Nate, Ron and the rest know that.

aphex
01-25-2010, 03:03 AM
That's very common for pros and high level players - and no need for a custom mold. Just something you get used to. I'd say it's probably more common for pros to hold the racket the same way every time than those that don't.

I do it all the time and spin my stick in between shots as well and I always land on the same side and I don't use a custom grip. Your hand just knows and you learn how to spin it so it always lands the same way in your hand. You don't even have to think about it. Just comes from having a stick in your hand a lot.

are you a pro or a high level player?

DNShade
01-25-2010, 03:26 AM
No, not a pro - had other aspirations in life from a young age that required that time dedication (plus I didn't come out of the womb with a racket in my hand so I had a late start tennis-wise) - I taught at a tennis academy for a bit right out of school and helped train some top juniors for a while before I started real life.

I still hit a pretty decent ball and I hit with and am still around top D1 and ATP/WTA players quite a bit. Been in and around the game for quite a while so I've picked up a thing or two.

spaceman_spiff
01-25-2010, 04:29 AM
It has to do with how the grip is wrapped. The side you start the grip on sticks out a bit more than the other side, and overlaps of the grip will be at different spots (on one side the first overlap will be higher/lower than the first one on the other side).

I always have the bump on the opposite side of my palm. It just fits in my hand more naturally that way, which is why one side of my frames is always more beat up than the other. The same side is always facing down on backhands, so that's the side that hits the ground when I have reach for a low slice.

spaceman_spiff
01-25-2010, 04:39 AM
:) yes i know, just an observation.. Still think it is custom as he switches frames constantly.. well atleast they are identically wrapped..

Rackets with asymmetrical paint jobs can have a bit of a psychological affect as well. Some could even have a varying chromatic swingweight, depending on the colors (see here for joke thread http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=256143&highlight=color+backhand)

He might have them wrapped the same way so that he can combine the physical and psychological preferences.