PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid "sets" - Am I missing something?

origmarm
01-25-2010, 05:21 AM
A friend of mine came round last night and had a racquet he wanted stringing while we had a few beers. It was a T-Fight 335 18*20. So far no biggie. So I look up the pattern online just to be sure and find that it's 21ft mains 19ft crosses.

The problem? He has a set of "Champion's Choice" with him. Mains at 20ft, crosses at 20ft.

So I said to him that I would likely come up short on the mains and he's better of just getting his money back on the string before we open the packet. Often it's ok with 20ft but not knowing the racquet we didn't risk it.

So am I missing something?

Or can a lot of 18*20 players just not buy hybrid sets? Or in fact sets of anything they want to use for mains (as the remaining half will always be too short for another set).

Or am I just being overly cautious?

Xenakis
01-25-2010, 05:29 AM
What would Gordon Gekko do?

Actually I quite like the idea of Gekko as a modest racquet stringer, a reformed character living in rural New England. Gekko lives nextdoor to a tennis club, works on racquets, wears knitwear and smiles a lot. Bud Fox goes out to the country to find him and convince him to pull one more city scam.

Could be in Wall Street II: Giving It My Awl.

jmverdugo
01-25-2010, 05:51 AM
I think 18 mains racquets can be done with 20ft (6m). I have even done an 18 mains oversize racquet but you must have a starting clamp.

origmarm
01-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Could be in Wall Street II: Giving It My Awl.

I like it! :)

Actually it this experience that reminded me to mention this to you earlier. Got me thinking if maybe I was missing something.

origmarm
01-25-2010, 06:12 AM
I think 18 mains racquets can be done with 20ft (6m). I have even done an 18 mains oversize racquet but you must have a starting clamp.

Well yes some can for sure i.e. my Prestige MPs are ok with 20ft but you have to be very careful and/or have a starting clamp for the end. But given that they are 95s (Head say 98 but...) I imagined that a 98 or even an oversize would be really pushing it.

Given that you've pulled it off before maybe I was overcautious...

HitItHarder
01-25-2010, 06:52 AM
I have several MG Radical OS racquets, which have an 18x19 pattern.

Some stringing instructions (the Klippermate for example) list the string lengths as 21' mains and 17' crosses.

If I have a reel or I am doing a full bed 2 piece, I always measure off the 21' to give me a little wiggle room. However, I can string the mains with a 20' piece (half set) as long as I am careful.

I always measure the string first and never just cut a set in half to make sure I have two full 20' pieces on a set.

However, I have a Revo 4000 where I can get the crank tension head very close to the racquet frame. I am not sure I could do the same without bridging a piece of string if I had a drop weight or rotational gripper.

So I guess it depends.