PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Gut suggestion

mela
01-25-2010, 07:03 AM
I finished a reel of Prince Synthetic Gut with duraflex 16g.
I like this string.
Now I need a new reel.
I am undecided to take the same string or try something different.
I'm thinking between Gamma Synthetic Gut or Gosen Micro OG or Babolat Conquest.
What do you recommend?
Thanks

ClubHoUno
01-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Not a Synth. Gut fan - but you should try a reel of Forten Sweet, really a very nice cheap Synth. Gut string!

vndesu
01-25-2010, 07:15 AM
i really liked tecnifibre syngut reels. for only like 40 cant go wrong, great espically for hybrids.

mikeler
01-25-2010, 07:16 AM
I like the regular Gamma synthetic gut better than the Prince. It feels softer on my arm. I did not care for the Gosen at all because it broke very quickly and felt very stiff.

jim e
01-25-2010, 07:26 AM
i really liked tecnifibre syngut reels. for only like 40 cant go wrong, great espically for hybrids.

I agree with this as well. I used a good amount of Babolats Super Fine Play for club players that hit with your typical syn. gut, and since they no longer have it avail. the tecnifibre syn. gut stiffness ratings (USRSA Stiffness Chart), were very similar to SFP, and all the clients that liked the SFP , like the tecn. syn. gut. A decent string for the price.
I can only add that if you liked the PSGD then why consider to switch?
If you do switch, you may wish to try some sets 1st to see what you may like before you get a reel, otherwise you may have a reel on your hands that you do not care for.

Power Player
01-25-2010, 07:29 AM
I just bought Gamma 15 gauge SG. (no weargaurd). I will post my impressions once it is strung in a hybrid and I get a few hours with it.

mikeler
01-25-2010, 09:23 AM
I just bought Gamma 15 gauge SG. (no weargaurd). I will post my impressions once it is strung in a hybrid and I get a few hours with it.

I liked the 16g Gamma way better than the 15g.

Power Player
01-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Why is that? I just went for durability.

mikeler
01-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Why is that? I just went for durability.

It could have been due to the fact that it is stiffer. Definitely felt it in my elbow more. Also I had it strung at the lowest tension so I lacked control with it. It had more of a plastic/Gosen like feel than the 16g.

masterxfob
01-25-2010, 11:34 AM
i happen to love gosen, but to each his own. i am not really sure of the durability since it's the only syn gut i've used in my recent comeback to tennis. it used to last me ~20 hours, but am only getting maybe ~4 hours now. if i could find something more durable while playing the same or better, i'm open to suggestions.

mikeler, what kind of extra durability are we talking on the gamma or any other syn gut that you've tried for the matter?

Power Player
01-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Ok cool. Ill try it at 62#s and see what it feels like.

mikeler
01-25-2010, 12:21 PM
i happen to love gosen, but to each his own. i am not really sure of the durability since it's the only syn gut i've used in my recent comeback to tennis. it used to last me ~20 hours, but am only getting maybe ~4 hours now. if i could find something more durable while playing the same or better, i'm open to suggestions.

mikeler, what kind of extra durability are we talking on the gamma or any other syn gut that you've tried for the matter?

Here is what I can tell you about average durability for me:

PSGD 16 = 8-9 sets before breakage
Gamma 16 = 7-8 sets before breakage
Gamma Wearguard 16 = < 4 sets (only used it twice)
Gosen 17 = 14 games (broke 2 strings, won't use it again)

masterxfob
01-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Here is what I can tell you about average durability for me:

PSGD 16 = 8-9 sets before breakage
Gamma 16 = 7-8 sets before breakage
Gamma Wearguard 16 = < 4 sets (only used it twice)
Gosen 17 = 14 games (broke 2 strings, won't use it again)

thanks for the reply. however, it hardly seems fair that you're comparing gosen in 17g to 16g strings. if you're game, i'll send you a set of gosen 16g to get a fair assessment of it's durability.

email me at username@gmail.com if you'd like to send you a set :)

mikeler
01-25-2010, 01:50 PM
thanks for the reply. however, it hardly seems fair that you're comparing gosen in 17g to 16g strings. if you're game, i'll send you a set of gosen 16g to get a fair assessment of it's durability.

email me at username@gmail.com if you'd like to send you a set :)

Thanks for the offer but I'm using the PST now so it still would not be a fair comparison versus my old Thunderlites. I'm sticking with soft strings for a few months anyways. Maybe the OP would like to try it?

CeeY
01-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Whatever happened to Luxilon's popularity?

mikeler
01-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Lux is expensive! I tried it in a hybrid and hated it.

dextor
01-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Just a quick question to you all who have extensive experience with both multis and syn gut. What are you gaining when going from an inexpensive syn gut to an expensive multi like x-one biphase, nxt, nrg2, etc.?

mikeler
01-26-2010, 05:01 AM
Just a quick question to you all who have extensive experience with both multis and syn gut. What are you gaining when going from an inexpensive syn gut to an expensive multi like x-one biphase, nxt, nrg2, etc.?

Multis seem to have a little bit better feel and are usually softer. I don't think durability is that different between the two at least for me. If you are not having arm problems and like your synthetic gut, then stick with it.

masterxfob
01-26-2010, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the offer but I'm using the PST now so it still would not be a fair comparison versus my old Thunderlites. I'm sticking with soft strings for a few months anyways. Maybe the OP would like to try it?

oh well, i was hoping you'd do my dirty work for me. ii guess 'll just order some different synthetics and play test them myself.

i used head rip control when i first got back into tennis and thought it was a pretty good string for the relatively low cost. after a little while though, it felt a bit too powerful hence my switch to a synthetic gut. i'm a pretty flat hitter with a full swing, so i prefer strings that are a little stiffer and underpowered.

mikeler
01-26-2010, 09:12 AM
oh well, i was hoping you'd do my dirty work for me. ii guess 'll just order some different synthetics and play test them myself.

i used head rip control when i first got back into tennis and thought it was a pretty good string for the relatively low cost. after a little while though, it felt a bit too powerful hence my switch to a synthetic gut. i'm a pretty flat hitter with a full swing, so i prefer strings that are a little stiffer and underpowered.

If you like stiffer synthetics, you would probably like Gosen or PSGD better than the Gamma.

2handsbothsides
01-26-2010, 01:37 PM
I liked Wilson Synthetic Gut Extreme the best of any of the basic synthetic guts. White color is softest with natural more crisp. Smooth hit and nice power. A little cleaner hit than the Gosen OG Sheep which is a close second but clearly a little more mute. For me Gamma had little feel, both PSGO and PSGD where very crisp as was Babolat fine play.

You can play high level tennis with basic synthetic gut but freshness is critical. Clearly a big drop off in performance after a couple hours of hard hitting. Forten Sweet in natural is the ideal soft cross but does nothing for me as a full setup.

There is a big step up in playability when you go to even an inexpensive solid core multi like Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament. Larger sweet spot, easier on the arm and more gut like performance, if thats for you.