PDA

View Full Version : USTA match rule changed for 2010 season?

robert
01-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Just heard from a captain:
ALL USTA matches will: 2 SETS, STRAIT NO-ADD SCORING, AT 6-6 TIEBREAK TO 7 BY 2 AND 10 PT TIEBREAKER FOR 3RD SET.

I don't like No-Add scoring. This is just to make sure all the games finished in 1.5 hours for the benifit of tennis clubs.

Cindysphinx
01-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Must be a local rule.

I'm with you. I dislike No-ad scoring very much. I far prefer our elaborate tiebreak rules for matches that time out.

pennc94
01-25-2010, 08:52 AM
1.5 hours is the problem.

I would accept the no-ad scoring if the 3rd set was an actual set and not that 10-pt tiebreak.

beststringer
01-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Must be a local rule.

I'm with you. I dislike No-ad scoring very much. I far prefer our elaborate tiebreak rules for matches that time out.

Local for sure.

JavierLW
01-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Just heard from a captain:
ALL USTA matches will: 2 SETS, STRAIT NO-ADD SCORING, AT 6-6 TIEBREAK TO 7 BY 2 AND 10 PT TIEBREAKER FOR 3RD SET.

I don't like No-Add scoring. This is just to make sure all the games finished in 1.5 hours for the benifit of tennis clubs.

It's not like that in our area, we still play 2 out of 3 sets regular scoring.

Are you from the Southern Section? We had a previous thread where it sounded like that "word" was going around down there so it's probably just a section thing.

Kostas
01-25-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm on Southern and I haven't heard that...

I did hear that we were going to some new tiebreak format that allowed servers to remain on their respective sides throughout tho.

HitItHarder
01-25-2010, 12:34 PM
I am also in the Southern section. SC specifically. We just had our captain's meeting two weeks ago. Those are not our scoring rules.

Our local coordinator let us vote on whether to use 2 out of 3 sets (regular scoring with a 7 pt. tiebreak at 6-6) or 2 sets with a 10 pt. set tiebreak.

Our regular adult league all voted in favor of 2 out of 3 sets.

Our senior league voted for 2 sets with a 10 pt. set tiebreak.

Neither league will use No-Add scoring. We also play outdoors with no match time limits.

So this must be some kind of local rule you are referring to.

HitItHarder
01-25-2010, 12:42 PM

I did hear that we were going to some new tiebreak format that allowed servers to remain on their respective sides throughout tho.

We are using the new tiebreak format too. It is called the Coman Tiebreak rules. Essentially the only difference is that players switch ends after the first point, and then every four points thereafter. It is suppose to make it so that a server in doubles will serve on the same side that he/she has been serving on for the whole set. It also is suppose to make it so there is no unfair advantage from conditions (sun, wind, etc) if the conditions favor a specific side.

JavierLW
01-25-2010, 01:26 PM

That means they are forcing you to use the Coman tiebreaker.

They've been doing that in our area for years now. (although if 4 people decide not to do it in some un-officiated match it's not like they will end up in tennis jail or anything.....)

MasterTennisCoach
01-25-2010, 01:33 PM
well you better play well and not rely on ad scoring...makes it count more i guess

equinox
01-25-2010, 03:44 PM
I won't signup to play in any league which uses super tb or no ad scoring.

Ticks me off when tournaments and leagues change the scoring rules after the event/league has started.

kylebarendrick
01-25-2010, 04:06 PM
I won't signup to play in any league which uses super tb or no ad scoring.

I guess you won't be playing any ATP doubles then!

JLyon
01-26-2010, 08:37 AM
All 9 Southern States are now supposed to use the Coman TB for all league matches. Here in AR we were the last hold outs and now are supposed to be using Coman.

spot
01-26-2010, 09:21 AM
I really don't get the reluctance to use the coman Tiebreak. To me it makes a ton more sense.

JavierLW
01-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I really don't get the reluctance to use the coman Tiebreak. To me it makes a ton more sense.

I dont really care either way anymore but it's not perfect.

1) Too much switching! Switching every 4 points creates a real break in momentum. Especially if you get newbies who stop and take a drink and a break everytime you switch. (that's bad enough when it's every 6 points)

2) Now we have two ways of doing it. Now for almost any event that is not league play I run into some people who do it one way or some people who still do it the "TV" way.

I spun a racquet with one team to determine which one we would use once. (they won the spin, we played the coman, but ironically we won the tiebreaker and the set which decided the championship for us)

I think the biggest thing though is that they are "making" everyone do it. If someone's been playing tennis for 35 years and they have been doing it just like the pro's, who cares what version they are using?

It's a nanny state thing more then anything.

Otherwise I dont mind it for doubles and I actually like that I can serve on the same side as I did for the whole set. (but I dont like when people stall during all of the switching)

But for singles, I dont really see the point, it just slows things down too much.

Kostas
01-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I really wish we had the Coman at mixed state this past year.

I was in an airtight close match and serving very well. I asked my 3.0 female partner to serve on the side with the sun because it would affect my serve more than hers and we were playing well.

We went to a 2nd set tie-breaker and I had to serve in the sun for my 2nd and 3rd serves and I double faulted on the first and almost blinded myself and I had to lolli-pop my 2nd serve in and it got crushed. We lost the 2nd set tiebreak and the 3rd set super tiebreak... :-(

Not saying we woulda won had I been able to keep serving on the side but it wouldn't have hurt.

DANMAN
01-26-2010, 12:02 PM
The Coman TB is lame. It means that there is no longer an advantage for being able to adjust to serve with the sun and out of the sun. Elements are part of the game. I hate all of the rule changes the USTA has made. My newest gripe is that this year, in my state, combo teams could be a maximum of one point apart (for 9.5, a 5.5 couldn't play with a 4.0, it had to be a 5.0 and 4.5). Other states in my section are able to play more than one point apart. Level the playing field and make it the same everywhere.

Thankfully <sarcasm> at 5.0, I really don't have to play USTA because they don't have it. They push all the ratings up, but don't apply the new algorithm to 4.5 so 5.0 stayed tiny.

My last favorite change...if I don't play tennis for 3 years because I'm stuck at 5.0, guess where I get to self rate...5.0. Great rule...kudos USTA...

I could care less about being 5.0 because I beat all the 4.5s around easily and can beat 5.5s; the issues is that the USTA couldn't be any less consistent with their strategic moves to level the playing field.

Cindysphinx
01-26-2010, 12:51 PM
I don't like Coman indoors, but I think it makes good sense outdoors.

Coman does have one advantage, though. It makes players pay much more attention to the score!

Cindysphinx
01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Javier, I feel your pain on the way Coman slows play. Our rules specify that there not be any stopping on tiebreak changeovers, but some people still do it. Sometimes the clock is a factor, and sometimes they do it to stall. And then you have to mention it, and that isn't pleasant for anyone.

But yeah, a lot of folks don't understand Coman. The weird thing is that they don't always trust me when I tell them that I do!

JavierLW
01-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Javier, I feel your pain on the way Coman slows play. Our rules specify that there not be any stopping on tiebreak changeovers, but some people still do it. Sometimes the clock is a factor, and sometimes they do it to stall. And then you have to mention it, and that isn't pleasant for anyone.

But yeah, a lot of folks don't understand Coman. The weird thing is that they don't always trust me when I tell them that I do!

I had a fun Coman experience in the local playoffs this year.

I was playing #1 Doubles against the captain of the opposing team and his partner.

We won the first set, but then it rained so we had to go indoors to play the rest of the match. We lost the 2nd set and had to play a 10 point tiebreaker. (which was the rules even if it was outside....)

We went down a mini-break where we had to switch with the other team serving at 5-4.

My partner and I walk to our stuff we quickly towel off and walk to our respective positions. We'd switched ends 2 other times in this tiebreak and it was well established this was all the time we're allowing and that everyone knows what they are doing.

Well I look over and the captain and his partner are actually sitting down, sipping water and discussing strategy. They probably took a good minute doing it as well, and they didnt even glance up at us.

I had seen the roving officials warn other teams to get going in the same situation and sure enough we had one with his back turned to us so I could of said something, but instead I did this:

As soon as the other team walked back and the server was ready, I walked away from my position and went back to my bag and decided that I was going to have some water. Then I very slowly walked back. (it's sort of a Brad Gilbert solution to slow players, you slow play them back and make them wait for you)

That seemed to rattle the server (the captain's partner) and he double faulted, and we ran off the next 4 points.

Which made the next change over fun because we were using the score cards to keep track (for the benefit of the spectators watching), and we got to flip it from 4-5, to 8-5.

JavierLW
01-26-2010, 02:21 PM

Ive found even with the regular tiebreaker, it's sometimes easy to beat a team that doesnt even know how to do it.

They have to rely totally on you to direct them on what to do. They cant be really focused on playing good tennis if they have to go thru all of that..

Islandtennis
01-27-2010, 09:47 AM
All 9 Southern States are now supposed to use the Coman TB for all league matches. Here in AR we were the last hold outs and now are supposed to be using Coman.

Southern is using Coman in the Southern Sectional Championships. They are leaving it up to States whether or not use in their District Championships; and most if not all of the states are leaving it up to the local leagues to use it in local league play.

JLyon
01-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Southern is using Coman in the Southern Sectional Championships. They are leaving it up to States whether or not use in their District Championships; and most if not all of the states are leaving it up to the local leagues to use it in local league play.

ATA will be using Coman at State Championships and basically is saying to use it at local level.

JavierLW
01-28-2010, 08:16 AM
ATA will be using Coman at State Championships and basically is saying to use it at local level.

That's how it was in my section.

The small tiny percentage of players that make the playoffs complain that they were not used to it, so they decide to force everyone to use it.

It pretty much doesnt make any difference one way or another, but I think the gesture really was a disatisfier for a lot of existing players who have been playing for years.