PDA

View Full Version : weaving one ahead on the crosses

markwillplay
01-25-2010, 11:54 AM
I have been doing this to save a little time and to make weaving easier. A buddy told me to pull tension on every cross or the tension will not be the same because the "turn" will act like a pully and the crosses will not be what they would be if you pulled each cross. Which is it? BHow much difference?

GPB
01-25-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking... Weaving one ahead is good. But while you weave one ahead, you have to go back and tension every single string.

What are you doing?

YULitle
01-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Weaving one ahead - is a term usually used when referring to the practice of weaving the cross ahead of the one you mean to tension next.

What I imagine you are doing is weaving two and then tensioning them both in one pull. This is a bad practice as it doesn't put equal tension on all crosses, as your friend described.

Weaving one ahead - good
What you are doing (double pulling) - bad

javierjavier
01-25-2010, 12:09 PM
gpd is right. weaving a head will makes weaving your crosses easier/save you time, but you're leaving slack and still pulling tension on every cross.

masterxfob
01-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Weaving one ahead - is a term usually used when referring to the practice of weaving the cross ahead of the one you mean to tension next.

What I imagine you are doing is weaving two and then tensioning them both in one pull. This is a bad practice as it doesn't put equal tension on all crosses, as your friend described.

Weaving one ahead - good
What you are doing (double pulling) - bad

what he said. if you have any questions on stringing, check out his tuts on youtube or feel free to ask him. these forums wouldn't be what they are without his friendly knowledgeable advice.

markwillplay
01-25-2010, 12:49 PM
gotcha, I misunderstood what weaving one ahead meant. I was weaving 2 and then pulling tension. This actually explains a lot because my stringbeds were unusually powerful. I still don't understand what weaving one ahead means but I wioll check out the video.

Jonny S&V
01-25-2010, 12:55 PM
If you haven't watched the vid yet, it means that, to start, you weave the first two crosses, only tension the first cross, weave the 3rd cross, tension the 2nd cross, weave the 4th cross, tension the 3rd, etc...

markwillplay
01-25-2010, 12:55 PM
OK, so I guess if you weave one ahead, that will work until maybe the end. I assume that you weave two and then go back and tension the first one...then weave another and go back and tension the next one.....so you would have to have slack to do it until the very end....correct? It was hard for me to see on that video (great video but I doule not see overhead view. Thanks guys, I am new at stringing. I have drop weight machine.

Jonny S&V
01-25-2010, 12:58 PM
OK, so I guess if you weave one ahead, that will work until maybe the end. I assume that you weave two and then go back and tension the first one...then weave another and go back and tension the next one.....so you would have to have slack to do it until the very end....correct? It was hard for me to see on that video (great video but I doule not see overhead view. Thanks guys, I am new at stringing. I have drop weight machine.

Enough slack to get to the gripper, yes. I did this on a drop weight stringer with flying clamps and it shaved about 7 minutes off of my stringing time (although I have since upgraded to a Gamma stringer almost exactly like the Prince Neos).

Ripper014
01-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Weaving one ahead makes it much easier to weave it lifts the strings slightly. As others have said pull every string seperately.

dancraig
01-25-2010, 05:03 PM

When you "weave one ahead" you are weaving one ahead of the one you are about to tension. This causes the main that you are weaving over to be a little lower and the main you are weaving under a little higher. So instead of weaving way up and way down, you weave more closely to a straight line.
This makes push weaving much easier and quicker. It is also easier on the string, because of less friction as you pull the string through.

TennisNinja
01-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Nice idea, I think I will try this (correctly of course)

dancraig
01-25-2010, 05:53 PM

markwillstring