PDA

View Full Version : what grip lowers the handle 1/2 a grip size?

aksman
01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm used to my worn down grips on my PSCs and new grips are just too big. What grips will cut the size down exactly 1/2?

Laserfibre is not easily avail, and I fear Babolat Skin Feel may lower the size too much (an entire grip size according to one TW customer review). I was hoping the Skin Feel would do it, and the TW customer review was wrong. Anyone have experience/opinions?

javierjavier
01-25-2010, 11:50 AM
laserfibre is easily ordered online at their website with reasonable shipping. you could always use an overgrip over the babolat skin feel.

aksman
01-25-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm confused:
http://www.laserfibrestore.com/product_p/lftfgr.htm

this says "The Original LaserFibre TourFit Reducing Grip is specially designed to reduce any racquet's grip size by one full size without altering the racquet. Altering the racquet will void the racquet warranty. Simply wrapping a TourFit Reducing grip will do the job. Also great for players who like overgrips but don't want the added build up or rounding. A TourFit Reducing Grip plus an overgrip will return the racquet grip back to normal size."

That's one whole size down, yet one overgrip brings it back to normal? An overgrip it 1/2 a grip size.

javierjavier
01-25-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm confused:
http://www.laserfibrestore.com/product_p/lftfgr.htm

this says "The Original LaserFibre TourFit Reducing Grip is specially designed to reduce any racquet's grip size by one full size without altering the racquet. Altering the racquet will void the racquet warranty. Simply wrapping a TourFit Reducing grip will do the job. Also great for players who like overgrips but don't want the added build up or rounding. A TourFit Reducing Grip plus an overgrip will return the racquet grip back to normal size."

That's one whole size down, yet one overgrip brings it back to normal? An overgrip it 1/2 a grip size.
from my experience the laserfibre replacement grip and 1 over grip felt about the same size as the oem grip. i suppose it also depends on how tight you wrap your grips as well.

aksman
01-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Any clue how its thickness compares to the Babolat Skin Feel?

maxply
01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
I have used both , the skin feel is thicker and firmer. If you want to reduce a half size try the laserfibre.

aksman
01-25-2010, 06:06 PM
I have used both , the skin feel is thicker and firmer. If you want to reduce a half size try the laserfibre.

So you found that the Skin Feel didn't reduce the grip a half-size? about how much did it reduce things?

Also, you talking the Original Laserfibre, or the two-toned one? From the website, I feel like the two-toned one is thinner.

maxply
01-26-2010, 12:55 PM
The original laserfibre reducer is what I used , the skin feel was thinner than a gamma hi-tech but not as thin as the laserfibre or the RPNY synthetic leather both are a good half size down, I woul say the skin feel is like a quater size reduction it is 1.55 mm thick a laserfibre is 1.3 and soft, a gamma hi-tech 1.8 . Hope this helps

aksman
01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
So, not to drag this on, but how thick is a regular overgrip (like a standard Wilson cushion air), and how thick is the Babolat Syntec (which is supposed to run thick)?

Spyre
01-26-2010, 08:32 PM
So, not to drag this on, but how thick is a regular overgrip (like a standard Wilson cushion air), and how thick is the Babolat Syntec (which is supposed to run thick)?

I'm not sure about the Cushion Air, but I believe the Babolat Syntec runs around 1.8 mm thick.

aksman
01-26-2010, 11:02 PM
I found this website from the UK, and they list a lot of grip thicknesses http://www. racketcity.com/Racket_grips/grips.htm

Ivan Lendl's Backhand
03-08-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure about the Cushion Air, but I believe the Babolat Syntec runs around 1.8 mm thick.

Syntec is 2.0mm / 17.4g
SkinFeel is 1.55mm / 16.6g

tennis005
03-25-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm also wondering how thick overgrips are...

corners
03-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Skinfeel at 1.55mm will NOT reduce a grip by one full size. It will reduce by about 1/20 of an inch. But, if you currently use leather + overgrip moving to Skinfeel will be about 1 size smaller than leather + overgrip.

Babolat made another grip called the Woofer which is essentially a a very thin syntech with an absorbant ridge on the back side. If you tear off the ridge the remaining grip is very much like the skin feel but even thinner: 1.3mm. This is the thinnest replacement grip I've found that can actually be used alone (the Laserbibres require an overrip due to poor durablility). The feel is like leather + a very tacky overgrip but actually much thinner. I like it a lot.

tennis005
03-26-2010, 06:39 PM
I found an overgrip combo that would reduce one gripsize. Will have to be wrapped tight though. A head xtremesoft overgrip then a Wilson Pro overgrip. Will reduce exactly one gripsize.

Al1978
03-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Pretend the handle is round rather than octagonal and use simple geometry to determine the change in grip size. Convert the change in MM to inches and multiply it by 6.28. The result is the approximate change in diameter.

For simplicity's sake, just remember that 0.3 mm in grip thickness is about a half-size (1/16") in grip circumference.

Al1978
03-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Er, circumference, not diameter.

Larrysümmers
05-22-2010, 08:02 AM
so to decrease the grip the most, Babolat leather er TW thinnest leather, er what? im really confused haha

perh4ps
05-22-2010, 09:00 AM
my 2 K90's are 1/2's and I just removed the original grip and I placed two overgrips, feels like a 3/8.

Baseline13
05-22-2010, 04:31 PM
my 2 K90's are 1/2's and I just removed the original grip and I placed two overgrips, feels like a 3/8.

I do this with most of my frames as I like the firmer feel. It works well for me. Pretty cheap to try as well.