PDA

View Full Version : Black Code or Addiction...which is causing the problem?

TripleB
01-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Currently have my Gamma T-7 strung with Tecnifibre Black Code 17g mains and Babolat Addiction 16g crosses.

I've only got about 7 or 8 sets on the string bed and the Addiction is getting ready to pop.

I used to use Luxilon BB ALU Power mains with Yonex Tour Super 850 16g crosses and they would last at least 25 sets.

I'm not sure if the Addiction has terrible durability or the Black Code is 'sawing' the crosses in half. Would love to hear your opinions.

I have seen durability problems like this in a loooooooooooooong time. Other than the durability problems the string play great together...soft with a lot of spin.

TripleB

tennisINmyBLOOD
01-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Currently have my Gamma T-7 strung with Tecnifibre Black Code 17g mains and Babolat Addiction 16g mains.

I'm a little confused as to which strings are on the mains. I assume that Addiction is on the crosses though.

Addiction is supposed to be coated with something to increase durability. When I used Addiction as a full bed, I had it on for 60 hours (I'm not a string breaker) and it barely notched. Addiction is very soft and mushy compared to the Yonex 850, so I could imagine it breaking if it was in a hybrid with Black Code.

Could be that Black Code is sawing the crosses. Its structure is pentagonal, so it wouldn't be much of a surprise. In fact, only three hours of play and my MSV Focus Hex mains are notching into Tecnifibre Multifeel 17 crosses... and I'm using an 18x20 pattern.

TripleB
01-25-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm a little confused as to which strings are on the mains. I assume that Addiction is on the crosses though.

Could be that Black Code is sawing the crosses. Its structure is pentagonal, so it wouldn't be much of a surprise.

Thanks...I've corrected that...yes, the Addiction is on the crosses.

From the look of it I would believe the Black Code may be sawing because the notching is very consistent all across the face of the racquet.

TripleB

tennisINmyBLOOD
01-25-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm looking at my PDGT string with Polystar Energy 1.25 mains and Multifeel 17 crosses. Played with for about 3 hours as well. Not as much notching on the crosses. The Polystar Energy is round, so I'm guessing its the textured poly that cuts into the multi cross.

The Focus Hex was consistently notching throughout the stringbed on my racket as well.

Blade0324
01-26-2010, 09:20 AM
More than likely it is a combination of the two. Addiction is indeed softer than the Yonex for a cross and then you have now added a Hex shaped poly for the mains which will saw a bit more than a round one. However, you mention that you have played about 7-8 sets with this so far. On an average of 45 min. per set that is about 6 hours of hitting plus warmup time etc. Probably you have close to 8 hours on the set. My experience is that BC or any other poly will be dead and have lost a lot of tension in the 6-10 hour mark anyway so even if it did not break I would be looking to restring it.

IMO if you like the setup then stay with it.