PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Advice Wanted

MUZZA1973
01-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Guys,

Advice wanted on a Hybrid setup for a Tall,strong,advanced male with all court game.

Wanting some advice on a decent Poly to be used with Technifibre Multi Feel.

I've heard great things about Multifeel and kinda have decided on that,just needing a poly to match.

Never used a Poly before and am little cautious in using a full poly set up hence the hybrid set up.

16 or 17? Unsure on this also...

Thanks in advance!

tennisINmyBLOOD
01-25-2010, 09:48 PM
I was in your position just last week. I decided to string MSV Focus Hex 1.18 mm on the mains and Tecnifibre Multifeel 17 on the crosses. Strung it at 52 lbs on the mains and 54 lbs on the crosses on my Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300 Tour. Wow, what a setup.

This setup has controllable power. You can swing away without fear of overhitting. It's soft and won't kill your arm if strung at the right tension (my shoulder is probably one of the most fragile... stiffer multifilament strung at 60 lbs hurts!). Topspin is the best element of the string. It bites the ball so well... perfect for those with topspin forehands. I've found that this setup gave a lot of feel. If you normally use synthetic gut or multis, you don't have to worry about losing feel. I've found the the feel actually increased with this setup. Touch shots are great as well.

What racquet do you use? If your pattern is 18x20, go with 17 gauge for more feel. Since the pattern is dense, the string will also last longer.
If your pattern is 16x19, you might want to go with 16 gauge IF and only if you are a chronic string breaker. Otherwise, stick with 17.

MUZZA1973
01-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks for your kind input!

I'm in the process of purchasing a new racquet.Tossing up between a BLX Six.One 95 (18 x 20) and a Pure Storm Tour GT.

52 and 54 seems way too loose for my liking.I'm more used to between a 55-57.

Decisions,decisions....

COPEY
01-25-2010, 10:38 PM
With the stiffer polys you can get away with lower tensions and still have very good playability. Of course, it's all about preference, but lots of guys/girls string poly at the low end.

Some other polys worth looking at are:
Kirschbaum Pro Line II
Signum Pro Tornado & Hyperion
Black Code
Topspin Cyberflash & Cyberblue
Mantis Power Poly (just tried it - loved it)
Polystar Energy has a pretty strong following as well.
Weiscannon Silverstring
Isospeed Professional

I'm sure others will chime in with a few recommendations. Do you string your own racquets? If so, you'll have a great time experimenting. If not, it could get expensive really quick. If you don't string for yourself, maybe a stringer should be your next investment. ;)

tennisINmyBLOOD
01-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks for your kind input!

I'm in the process of purchasing a new racquet.Tossing up between a BLX Six.One 95 (18 x 20) and a Pure Storm Tour GT.

52 and 54 seems way too loose for my liking.I'm more used to between a 55-57.

Decisions,decisions....

Yeah, 52/54 felt a little too loose after the poly's tension loss. Will go with 54/56 next time around.

I've heard some really good things about the PST GT. Very solid on groundstrokes and a good improvement over the original PST.

May I also recommend the Dunlop AG 4D 300 Tour? Very high levels of control and despite the dense string pattern, I found PLENTY of spin, especially with MSV Focus Hex on the mains. This stick is very comfortable, but is not for everyone. 3 grams of lead at 12 and you're good to go!

ClubHoUno
01-26-2010, 02:36 AM
I (soon) have 4 of both the PSGT TOUR AND BLX 95 18X20, so I can maybe help you :)

If you're a stringbreaker, I would suggest Trying full bed of poly at low tension (52-56 lbs).
If not, then try a nat gut hybrid, with nat gut mains and poly crosses.....or poly mains and nat gut/Prime Multi in the crosses.

Experiment and see what you prefer, it also depends on the racquet, the string pattern etc.

MUZZA1973
01-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks all for the input...

MUZZA1973
01-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Tempted to try this Luxilon stuff the pro's use.Appears quite popular with quite a few on here too...

Thoughts?

skyzoo
01-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Tempted to try this Luxilon stuff the pro's use.Appears quite popular with quite a few on here too...

Thoughts?
Do it. Luxilon rough is a great string and feel's fantastic

MUZZA1973
01-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Anybody else??

ODYSSEY Mk.4
01-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Anybody else??

poly can be tricky with finding your tension and type IMO go for a nice co-poly with long life (big hitter, Big ace, Cyber) i fear if you go to Lux it will hit fantastic for 3 hours then you'll hate it.

MUZZA1973
01-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Now i'm really confused....haha

ClubHoUno
01-27-2010, 06:33 AM
Do it. Luxilon rough is a great string and feel's fantastic

Yes, it feels GREAT for 3 hours, then It's down the drain...

BigHitterSE
01-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Can't go wrong with Kirschbaum Pro Line II 1.20 or 1.25.

skyzoo
01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Yes, it feels GREAT for 3 hours, then It's down the drain...
i string my own... not to worried about it lasting to much

BigT
01-27-2010, 01:05 PM
To the OP, I'm also a tall, strong, good-looking, advanced all-court player.:)
For a first time poly user, a soft, comfortable poly such as PolyStar Energy works well in a hybrid. My customers enjoy it. Just don't expect to play with it for 3 months. Polys should be replaced at least once a month, even if they don't break.

MUZZA1973
01-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Guess i'm now looking for a long lasting as well as soft poly...

Perhaps i should just stick to Multi's...

ODYSSEY Mk.4
01-27-2010, 01:55 PM
long lasting-soft tend to go hand in had all were saying is stay away from the true mono- type string ie first gen poly.

MUZZA1973
01-27-2010, 04:27 PM
After extensive reviews,i've narrowed down to the following:

Genesis Black magic
Genesis Spin X
Technifibre Multifeel
Kirschbaum Touch Multifibre

Which are the better strings and better suited together in a hybrid set up?

Racquet of choice K Six.One 95 BLX

16 or 17 gauge?

Poly in mains or crosses?

Thanks in advance guys!

skyzoo
01-27-2010, 04:59 PM
To the OP, I'm also a tall, strong, good-looking, advanced all-court player.:)
For a first time poly user, a soft, comfortable poly such as PolyStar Energy works well in a hybrid. My customers enjoy it. Just don't expect to play with it for 3 months. Polys should be replaced at least once a month, even if they don't break.
hahaha that's hilarious, i wasn't expecting the good looking part

DownTheLine
01-27-2010, 05:03 PM
ALU POWER
PHT
PH
MSV FOCUS HEX

I really liked the feel of PHT and Xcel all at 60 Lbs.

DownTheLine
01-27-2010, 05:06 PM
After extensive reviews,i've narrowed down to the following:

Genesis Black magic
Genesis Spin X
Technifibre Multifeel
Kirschbaum Touch Multifibre

Which are the better strings and better suited together in a hybrid set up?

Racquet of choice K Six.One 95 BLX

16 or 17 gauge?

Poly in mains or crosses?

Thanks in advance guys!

Poly in crosses is better playability. Poly in the mains is better durability.

Foe the gauge you have to feel that for yourself. Thinner has more playability and thicker is more durability.

MUZZA1973
01-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Have read some wonderful reviews on Genesis(Poly) here in Oz,both Black Magic and Spin X.So I'm kinda down to those two for my poly.

Multi on the other hand is a little more annoying in deciding on the following...
Technifibre Multifeel and Kirschbaum Touch Multi Fibre.I want a soft string with great playability,great pocketing as well as comfort.

Am i heading in the right directions with these fellas?

Am i able to mix gauges? For example 17g mains(Poly)/16g cross(multi) or do i stick to the same gauge?Reason i ask is re-stringer has access only to 16g on the Multifeel.

Really do appreciate the feedback thus far!

Thanks in advance!

Muzza