PDA

View Full Version : how long to carry on with frame that's made arm a bit sore?

Ross K
01-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Just a qsn for those of you with some knowledge about frame stiffness and sore arm issues...

I've recently started playing with the YT Rad Pro. Generally I'm very happy with it and would now like to 'commit' to it as my main frame except for one thing... after playing (and I've played 3 times with it thus far and practiced some too) my arm is somewhat sore and 'twinging'.:(

First of all it was only located in the upper outer area of my right arm, but I've noticed it has spread down a bit. Anyhow, the next day any kind of pains are just about gone, but your arm feels like it's been through something, if you know what I mean?

By way of complicating factors, I should mention that the YT Rad Pro has a RA of 58 but at times feels much higher to me and I'd guess the stiffness RA to be more in line with 68!:-? ... unusually, the frame's feel varies a lot from soft to crisp to firm to stiff... and secondly, the frame's string set up is unknown to me... I'm estimating it's @ approx 57 lbs, and the string (which I can't identify) just feels like a cheap synth...

Well then, I plan to restring it (to a softer 'pockety' number you'd imagine) first - it will be interesting to see if the stiffness/arm pain disappears there-after. However... my qsn...

How long do ppl advise playing through a bit of pain in the hope it will go? You know, if it is still causing me this noticable (if not chronic) sore/twinging arm after a new string job should I still continue with it? Am I risking serious arm injury by doing so? Should I in fact steer well clear of the YT Rad Pro as of now - immediately?! :shock:... what would ppl recommend?

Many thanks indeed,

R.

BTW, maybe I should also mention I've been playing it with the leather grip (no other overgrips or anything)... I believe this isn't so great at absorbing shock, vibrations, etc?... problem is - I really like the leather!!...

mikeler
01-26-2010, 06:03 AM
Try some soft strings at a lower tension. If that still does not fix the problem, I'd find some new sticks. My 2 cents.

BMC9670
01-26-2010, 07:35 AM
BTW, maybe I should also mention I've been playing it with the leather grip (no other overgrips or anything)... I believe this isn't so great at absorbing shock, vibrations, etc?... problem is - I really like the leather!!...

In addition to trying softer strings as already mentioned, I like the comfort of doubling up on grips. If you like the leather, try a cushioned replacement grip and wrap the leather over it. I liked this effect but it's not for everyone. Some like to feel the bevels more distinctly and more cushioning smooths them out a little. Also, I bought my last racket one grip size smaller to make up for the built up grip.

larry10s
01-26-2010, 07:56 AM
i would get rid of the racquet. its easier to demo more racquets than recover from arm issues.

kslick
01-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Isn't the thing with YT Rad Pro is that it stiffens the harder you swing. I could be wrong but thought I read that somewhere.

mikeler
01-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Isn't the thing with YT Rad Pro is that it stiffens the harder you swing. I could be wrong but thought I read that somewhere.

That is supposedly how the YouTek technology works.

kslick
01-26-2010, 10:32 AM
I guess that would explain why the OP said "the frame's feel varies a lot from soft to crisp to firm to stiff"
Then I wonder how they can come up with the correct stiffness RA?

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Ross K

Have you looked at all of the specs of your racquet. It has a swingweight of 345! Equalled only by the KPS88 and the YT Speed Pro and surpassed by none.

The reason the swingweight is so high is because it is only 2 points head light. What racquet were you using prior to this? I think the head balance is what is making your arm sore.

Ross K
01-26-2010, 01:47 PM
kslick, Yes, just how the heck do they come up with the right RA figure?!

jazzy, I think you are right... I actually came across another thread earlier today making the same point... I might well try leading the handle to make it more head-light? Basically, there's a lot of weight on that head there...

BMC, Good call there. I could easily try that as the grip is indeed smaller than my normal size (plus it sounds like a bit of extra handle weight wouldn't go a miss?)

mikeler, sound advice.

Thanks everyone!

R.

BTW, There is a Head vibe dampener called 'smartsorb' that was praised very highly earlier today in a thread I read - apparently it really absorbs vibrations and stiffness tremors like no other!... anyone second this statement?

BTW2, I actually had a small hit with it today and the stiffness pains didn't arise. I must stress I wasn't going for it 100 per cent because I was playing with kids. Next real session is Friday morning... I'll update you on how it all transpires.

bhupaes
01-26-2010, 02:01 PM
I gave up my beloved Babolat PC for a PK 7G because my arm started acting up. IMO, we are not pros, and health is much more important than a few victories/grandstands on the tennis court. Besides, as I found out, as long as the racquets are close in most specifications (weight, SW), one gets used to the new racquet pretty quickly. I customized the PK very similarly to the PC (12g in handle, 3g at 12 o'clock), and got used to the lower power of the PK in a month. I used to break strings every two weeks or so with the PC, and they don't break easily on the PK - an added benefit - probably because of the additional dampening inherent in the PK. Anyway, that's the story of my arm problems. :)

Wish you all the best with your racquet!