PDA

View Full Version : Racket head getting wider

JonWood
04-26-2005, 09:50 PM
i just got 2 new liquidmetal prestiges the other day same head size(mid plus) and when i looked at one of my old ones and then looked at the new one the head of the old one looked wider. is that because it has been strung over and over again. because the new one is so much more narrower. the old one doesnt have a crack or anything on it so thats not making the head wider. anybody know?

O3&200G
04-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Basically it could be both stringing job or the wear of the racquet. I had same problem with 200G. I bought one with online and the other at local tennis shop. I asked him why and he said it is because I got bad racquet from online. However, I asked my friend who has been playing tennis for 20 years said it is because of the person strung the racquet. I went to the tennis shop and asked same question again, but he didn't agree with the opinion. He said he never heard that the stringing job change the shape of the racquet. When I cut the string, it became normal shape again. So I took the racquet to the other local tennis shop who can trust and the owner agreed that improper stringing job makes the change.

I hope it helps.

kinsella
04-27-2005, 04:45 AM
If the cross strings are strung at lower tension than the mains, the higher tension in the mains can pull the top and bottom of the racquet head closer together, which means the sides move farther apart.

Proper stringing should not change the shape of the racquet to a degree apparent to the nake eye. If the stringer was installing a lubrictated string, using a "lock-out" or mechanical stringer, the clamps could have become slippery with lubricant by the time the crosses were tensioned, allowing for a lower tension due to slippage, despite using the same tension setting on the stringer. I have had this happen with some Head strings (TiFiber and RipTiFiber) and some Gosens, which can have a lot of lubricant on them.

Try a different stringer. I doubt the deformation is permanent.

AndrewD
04-27-2005, 05:11 AM
I think a few of the guys on this board who are professional stringers (is David Huff one?) have mentioned that stringing a racquet will alter the basic shape of the head. Some racquets, I imagine, make it easier to spot the change than others. Other than that, Id be most concerned about the 200G if its the old 80's version as they were very prone to warping (the reason why I never tried to replace mine by buying second-hand).

SteveI
04-27-2005, 05:30 AM
Hi Guys,

This is my take on this issue. I have been stringing for about 6 seasons now. Just my frames and a few local partners.. HS players etc. I had a 2-point mounting system (low-end) for my 1st stringer. I did my very best to always mount the frame as carefully as possible. With certain frames (Head Twin Tube Models/Dunlop MW series) I would see the overall length of the frame be reduced by .25 inches (and heads get wider) at times after stringing. Other frames (Prince POG/Wilson PSC 6.1) had no problems with the head or overall length changing. After my up-grade to a 6 point mounting system.. I have not seen the problem once. The "distorted" frames always went back to the correct shape and length when the strings were removed. Just my observations.
Have a great day!

Steve

Craig Sheppard
04-27-2005, 05:53 AM
You guys may want to read this thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=47849

A few guys ring in with good info about certain (Head especially) racquets. It is bad mounting during stringing that is causing this.

JonWood
04-27-2005, 06:16 AM
yeah that has to be it that the string job was bad, my coach did it for me like 45 mins before the match started and he forgot most of his tools but remembered the string machine so it wasnt the perfect string job like i usually have when i get my dad to do it since he has been stringing for atleast 30 years now. i would do it but it just takes me a little while

predrag
04-27-2005, 06:30 AM
You guys may want to read this thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=47849

A few guys ring in with good info about certain (Head especially) racquets. It is bad mounting during stringing that is causing this.

Bad mounting might be a problem, however, it is a higher chance that
the racquet was strung bottom-top

Regards, Predrag

Steve Huff
04-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Yes, stringing can cause deformation. It's usually not the tension difference that causes it though, it's improper mounting or a mounting system that's not sturdy enough. The crosses are always lower in tension because of friction loss, but the manufacturers of the rackets take that into consideration when they design the frame. They can't, however, figure in a stringing machine that doesn't keep the rackets shape while stringing.