PDA

View Full Version : Try This After You Lose Your Next League Match

vandre
01-26-2010, 06:57 AM
After your next loss in league play (and let your opponent know you're gonna pull this ahead of time!) and you go to report you scores to your captain or whoever, pull a serena ("i just handed him/ her the match!"), the roddick ("i was playing some high risk tennis out there today, cappy!") or the clijsters/ especially if you get beat 0 & 1 ("I was completely off. Just, you know, I think tennis‑wise, I didn't feel the ball at all").

after you do this, post here to let me know how it goes! bonus points will be awarded to ppl who know what you're doing and those who laugh so hard the convulse!

spot
01-26-2010, 07:07 AM
uhhh... If you have ever been captain I think you have heard all those excuses many times. None of those are the least bit uncommon.

Personally what I am waiting for is a pro to come out and blame the fact that they were playing a pusher and they really need more pace to play properly.

raiden031
01-26-2010, 07:25 AM
I don't get the humor here. So you're mocking people who contribute losing a match to something going wrong within their own game, as if every person plays at 100% of their potential every match?

Kostas
01-26-2010, 08:43 AM
I'd post a clever 'fail' picture but I don't even think it's worth the effort for this.

cak
01-26-2010, 08:49 AM
I remember sitting by the captain at one match that meant a shot at playoffs. She had, not one, not two, but 5 other members of her team sitting there with her, so she had backups. But out on the court a lady was playing way below her normal level. Her husband pipes up that she injured her shoulder two days ago, that's why she couldn't serve. I thought the captain was going to explode. And yes, she came off the court with the hurt shoulder excuse. (Followed by the playing against pusher excuse.)

vandre
01-26-2010, 08:56 AM
I don't get the humor here. So you're mocking people who contribute losing a match to something going wrong within their own game, as if every person plays at 100% of their potential every match?

no, i'm mocking people who are so self important and self involved that they cannot see beyond their own side of the net.

there are time when even if your game is working (although you are right that no one plays 100% every match) your opponent still manages to play better than you do (whether its by a little or alot). if you're outplayed, you're outplayed. period. if you lose because your game isn't working that doesn't change the fact that your opponent played better than you did. they won. you didn't. in fact, your loss might have been a combination of your opponent elevating their game while yours goes in the dumper.

there's 2 responses to being outplayed. you can make it about your opponent ("my opponent played very well today") or you can make it about yourself ("i handed my opponent the match").

more than mocking, though, the underlying sentiment of this thread is the apparent lack of sportmanship in tennis today. would edberg ever had said that he handed his opponent the match? i never heard him say anything like that and he had his share of off days and losses.

i guess that makes me "one of those old fuddy duddies who sits around pining for the 'good ole days'".

raiden031
01-26-2010, 09:17 AM
no, i'm mocking people who are so self important and self involved that they cannot see beyond their own side of the net.

there are time when even if your game is working (although you are right that no one plays 100% every match) your opponent still manages to play better than you do (whether its by a little or alot). if you're outplayed, you're outplayed. period. if you lose because your game isn't working that doesn't change the fact that your opponent played better than you did. they won. you didn't. in fact, your loss might have been a combination of your opponent elevating their game while yours goes in the dumper.

there's 2 responses to being outplayed. you can make it about your opponent ("my opponent played very well today") or you can make it about yourself ("i handed my opponent the match").

more than mocking, though, the underlying sentiment of this thread is the apparent lack of sportmanship in tennis today. would edberg ever had said that he handed his opponent the match? i never heard him say anything like that and he had his share of off days and losses.

i guess that makes me "one of those old fuddy duddies who sits around pining for the 'good ole days'".

If your opponent did something well, its good sportsmanship to compliment them for it. But I think it is bogus and counter-productive to pretend that the only reason you lost is because your opponent played well, not because of your own tactical mistakes or just having a bad day.

I would rather hear a true analysis of the match, then hear someone speaking BS that isn't true so they can make someone feel good about their game.

Sakkijarvi
01-26-2010, 10:41 AM
So we need another thread on the internet "mocking" people for some reason? In all due respect, doesn't that make one, um, a bit 'self important'...?

Cindysphinx
01-26-2010, 01:23 PM

I have a very hard time saying "Good shot" after I lose a point.

If I lose a point, it is because I gave my opponent a chance to beat me, so it is my fault every time. There is always something I could have done better or differently.

I do choke out "Good shot" when I think of it, but I don't really mean it deep down.

all3ofus
01-31-2010, 08:06 AM

If I lose a point, it is because I gave my opponent a chance to beat me, so it is my fault every time. There is always something I could have done better or differently.

I do choke out "Good shot" when I think of it, but I don't really mean it deep down.

^^^^
Excellent post!!!

Steady Eddy
01-31-2010, 11:07 AM
I always thought that "good shot" was code for "that was lucky". It's like I'm pointing out that my opponent doesn't often hit a shot that good.

Annika
01-31-2010, 12:58 PM
After your next loss in league play (and let your opponent know you're gonna pull this ahead of time!) and you go to report you scores to your captain or whoever, pull a serena ("i just handed him/ her the match!"), the roddick ("i was playing some high risk tennis out there today, cappy!") or the clijsters/ especially if you get beat 0 & 1 ("I was completely off. Just, you know, I think tennis‑wise, I didn't feel the ball at all").

LOL If my opponent said that, I'd say, "You're kidding of course." :mad:

Cindysphinx
01-31-2010, 01:35 PM
I always thought that "good shot" was code for "that was lucky". It's like I'm pointing out that my opponent doesn't often hit a shot that good.

I've never head of that.

I thought it was code for:

1. "Good shot!" or

2. "My partner should have had that so I will pretend it was too good when it really wasn't so that my partner won't feel bad."

OrangeOne
01-31-2010, 02:04 PM

Hmm, I always try to get juniors to think of it differently. Here are my thoughts on the four scenarios leading to a winner....

A. The Gave-It-To-Them extreme:

a. You've hit the worst ball imaginable. Framed up a mid-court sitter, hit the passing shot shoulder high to the middle of the court. The opponent hits the expected winner.

No good shot is required or obliged or psychologically sensible: everyone knows what happened, what caused it, etc.

B. The middle:

b. You've hit a perfect rally ball. It's the 7th shot of the rally, and it's deep, solid, and makes the opponent move. It's not in any way comfortable for them, and you'd comfortably accept that shot as an outcome again in the future.... and they smoke you randomly for a winner (usually involving quite a degree of risk).

I'd good shot it! And if I was stronger mentally, i'd make sure there was not an ounce of insincerity in my voice - if I'm ok with my mid-rally play, they're the risks I want my opponent to take.

C. The Too-Good extreme:

You've hit the perfect lob after a monster point, it'd beat 6 billion other athletes. The guy at the net jumps a clean foot in the air and hits a BH smash onto the sideline for a winner.

This is where the pros clap. That was a Hewitt-Fed point, and Hewitt clapped the strings and acknowledged it as too good. I'm sure their sports-psychs tell them to then clear it from the mind, probably telling them to note that it's 1 in a million, and then go forward.

D. Luck:

Ball drops on net-cord, drop-shot wins point. Framed return foor a winner. Etc.

Do what you want, but just clear it mentally. It was luck, it can't win the required 2 or 3 sets.

---

Overall, and Most importantly: I think, mentally, it's very important to understand the above, and not just play the blame-game, especially in scenarios B, C and D. Moving forwards positively, clearing it mentally, being honest in one's assessment....very important.