PDA

View Full Version : What changed?

mlewis721
01-26-2010, 10:01 AM
20 yrs ago when I went for my USRSA Certification they had us string a racquet with syn gut mains and natural gut crosses. They made a point of saying this was NOT a playable combination. Just a less expensive way for them to see how well we handled weaving gut.

20 yrs later, it's gone from being NOT playable to a prepackaged set.

What happened?

http://i46.tinypic.com/24lveip.jpg

jcramer
01-26-2010, 10:36 AM
I took mine about 18-19 years ago too. I remember never hearing about that combination then, but the guy who gave me the test said it would definitely play better the other way around, but that it wouldn't be too bad. I remember trying it, and it did play pretty well. Not as well as gut mains and syn crosses, but not bad either. It was probably just the beginning of experimenting like that. I think the thought was that the crosses didn't make much of an impact on playability at all, and now they realize they have a little more impact?

tball
01-26-2010, 10:59 AM
The cheapest always wins?...

JT_2eighty
01-26-2010, 11:14 AM
20 yrs ago when I went for my USRSA Certification they had us string a racquet with syn gut mains and natural gut crosses. They made a point of saying this was NOT a playable combination. Just a less expensive way for them to see how well we handled weaving gut.

20 yrs later, it's gone from being NOT playable to a prepackaged set.

What happened?

http://i46.tinypic.com/24lveip.jpg

I can only assume Babolat does this as that is the more durable setup, and most rec players just want something that lasts.

Otherwise, yes, for a $25 hybrid, why put the $21 string in the cross? Rule of thumb is maybe to not always trust packaging directions.

LeeD
01-26-2010, 11:17 AM
20 years ago, the swinging volley was considered a showoff shot.
40 years ago, the idea of playing with a 110 sq.in. racket was inconceivable.
60 years ago, the concept of shorts to play tennis in was concidered apalling.
80 years ago, the thought of 140 mph first serve was in nobody's head...
The times, they are a changing.