PDA

View Full Version : Tennis elbow for the first time ever: slice backhand ball machine drill

dman72
01-26-2010, 09:25 AM
So I decided that I needed to develop my slice backhand in order to improve as a player. I normally hit a 2 handed backhand and flail away on slice that usually becomes and unintentional drop shot..

Saturday, the temperature finally goes over 35 F here in NY, so I take the ball machine out and hit about 250-300 slice backhands and about 100 overheads. Cold air, pressureless balls + a shot i'm not that used to 250 times=

Ouch.

I've had minor golfers elbow (inside of the elbow) in the past from hitting for too long, but this is a total different and much sharper pain. I've been icing it and I only plan on playing my league match tomorrow night (I might hit about 5 slices the whole night), but I work at a PC all day and I'm feeling it. I can see now how the one handed backhanders are the guys who really suffer from TE. No fun!!!

mikeler
01-26-2010, 09:33 AM
This is a good time of year to rest up where you are at. Don't overdo it and then knock yourself out of commission when the weather improves.

LeeD
01-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Let's see....
I haven't been playing much lately.
The air temps are 35 degrees.
I want to try a new stroke.
So I go out and hit THREE HUNDRED of these new strokes.
Good idea..... :shock::shock:

dman72
01-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Let's see....
I haven't been playing much lately.
The air temps are 35 degrees.
I want to try a new stroke.
So I go out and hit THREE HUNDRED of these new strokes.
Good idea..... :shock::shock:

I admit it was stupid. :D I've hit more 2 handers on colder days than Saturday and not felt a twinge, but a one hander and my lack of strength in that area I guess..no good.

mikeler
01-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Cut that Kevlar out until it gets better and maybe try a full job of the PSO 16 you are using. Even better try a soft multi or natty guy for a little while.

dman72
01-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Cut that Kevlar out until it gets better and maybe try a full job of the PSO 16 you are using. Even better try a soft multi or natty guy for a little while.

I used a racquet with a nylon job for hitting...at least about 90% of the shots, all on the slice.

I have one racquet with Kevlar mains 50 lbs, pso crosses at 55lbs, one with cheap poly mains at 60 (strung at that, who knows how low it is now) and pso crosses at 60, and one with the tournament nylon at 55 or something, all the same frame. The kevlar is actually the softest of all the stringbeds right now, I should have used that..it's about 5 months old and severely notched.

mikeler
01-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Just follow all the general rules. Use the heaviest racket you can handle that is head light with a low stiffness rating and use soft strings. I never knew what a difference all that makes until I finally followed all those recommendations. It is way more comfortable on your arm.

dman72
01-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Just follow all the general rules. Use the heaviest racket you can handle that is head light with a low stiffness rating and use soft strings. I never knew what a difference all that makes until I finally followed all those recommendations. It is way more comfortable on your arm.

Thanks.

NXG oversize is around 11.9 ounces strung with overgrips and shock absorber, 63 stiffness and fairly headlight. It's not the racquet, it's me being stupid, as mentioned previously. :)

mikeler
01-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Ice it the first few days then go with heat. Buy some flexbars for strengthening when the pain subsides. At the first sign of pain, stop playing immediately. Good luck.

Robbnc
01-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Another recomendation for when you're able to resume practice. Get rid of
the pressureless balls. I know they last forever but the felt does wear off and
they do play harder than regular balls (despite what the manufacturer says).

Practice with what you play with. Better to hit with 60 or so regular balls and
change them out every couple of months than to beat on 150 pressureless , feltless balls for a year. The extra money will be worth it.

dman72
01-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Another recomendation for when you're able to resume practice. Get rid of
the pressureless balls. I know they last forever but the felt does wear off and
they do play harder than regular balls (despite what the manufacturer says).

Practice with what you play with. Better to hit with 60 or so regular balls and
change them out every couple of months than to beat on 150 pressureless , feltless balls for a year. The extra money will be worth it.

What are you trying to bankrupt me? :D

I actually have a mix of pressureless and regular balls in the hopper..about half Wilson team and half Dunlop grand prix's from my league matches. Mixing them up varies the depth of the shot from the ball machine, which is a good thing.

thejackal
01-29-2010, 05:58 AM
try using the mouse with your left hand for a week or so. it should help

charliefedererer
01-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Don't risk the same thing happening again when there are some warm weekends in a few weeks.

As soon as your elbow feels better, start doing some wrist curls, and invest the $20 for a Flexbar blue and a few bucks more for a hand gripper. Get your forearm muscles in shape now to come out swinging.

And strongly consider the thrower's ten to get your arms/upper back in better shape to better avoid shoulder problems: www.asmi.org/SportsMed/media/thrower10.swf

jimanuel12
01-29-2010, 11:24 AM
So I decided that I needed to develop my slice backhand in order to improve as a player. I normally hit a 2 handed backhand and flail away on slice that usually becomes and unintentional drop shot..

Saturday, the temperature finally goes over 35 F here in NY, so I take the ball machine out and hit about 250-300 slice backhands and about 100 overheads. Cold air, pressureless balls + a shot i'm not that used to 250 times=

Ouch.

I've had minor golfers elbow (inside of the elbow) in the past from hitting for too long, but this is a total different and much sharper pain. I've been icing it and I only plan on playing my league match tomorrow night (I might hit about 5 slices the whole night), but I work at a PC all day and I'm feeling it. I can see now how the one handed backhanders are the guys who really suffer from TE. No fun!!!

believe me, i know allot about tennis elbow, have suffered with it for over 7 months now.
ice, ice, and ice.
rest, rest and rest.
if it does not improve on it's own, then you will have to go the dr and try some exercises.
but try the ice first and rest the arm.
if you continue to play with the sore arm, you will pay the price, believe me, i know.
i played with the TE last year and it has taken me months to recover.
I could not pick up a cup of coffee for a month.
don't re-injure the arm.