PDA

View Full Version : anyone tried the Davydenko tension method for crosses?

indyfob2008
01-26-2010, 11:16 AM
I was watching a Davydenko match, and the commentator mentioned that he strings the top 4 or 5 crosses a few pounds lower than the rest of his cross strings. I tend to hit lots of balls on the top half of my stringbed (sometimes too far up the stringbed, which means I lose alot of power on the shot). Has anyone tried the Davydenko method and if you have, do you find it beneficial??

thanks.

Meaghan
01-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I was watching a Davydenko match, and the commentator mentioned that he strings the top 4 or 5 crosses a few pounds lower than the rest of his cross strings. I tend to hit lots of balls on the top half of my stringbed (sometimes too far up the stringbed, which means I lose alot of power on the shot). Has anyone tried the Davydenko method and if you have, do you find it beneficial??

thanks.

yes just tried it a little higher in tension...mains 45, top5 crosses 41, crosses 43 (Davydenko 41/39/37lbs).

My stringer said within the first few minutes the stringbed would settle to its natural tension.

I was thinking like you and tbh I couldnt feel any benefit at all.

What I was thinking is that Davydenko before getting totally dialled in, in a match may tend to hit high on the stringbed, so before the strings settle to their natural tension after the first couple of games he is looking for a little more pop on off centre hits.

Good string this (polystar energy) in a 18x20. I play Alu at 45lbs and its lovely and I will be stringing this up at 50lbs next time.

BigT
01-26-2010, 12:06 PM
First I'll try stringing in the low 40's, then maybe I'll try this method.

kiteboard
01-26-2010, 12:39 PM
According to the string log, Davydenko is at 50/48
http://www.racquettech.com/cgi/pro_logs.cgi

beststringer
01-26-2010, 12:44 PM

thanks.

I tried it. couldn't feel the difference. but heck if it works for him, it works.

Meaghan
01-26-2010, 01:04 PM
According to the string log, Davydenko is at 50/48
http://www.racquettech.com/cgi/pro_logs.cgi

http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com/Tennis/Media/Videos/2009/Barclays-Baseline-Exclusives/Barclays-Baseline-Stringing-Secrets.aspx

BigT....."It was mentioned here that Davydenko strung up his racquets at 19/17/18 kg, which is about 41/37/39 lbs."

drakulie
02-02-2010, 08:40 AM
This is somewhat of a "proprotional" stringing method.

Valjean
02-02-2010, 12:26 PM
FWIW, Boris Becker, who gave proportional stringing much of its at least recent prominence, used it only for the upper half of his crosses and his mains.

Bashi
02-02-2010, 01:02 PM
i would think that probably >90% of people can't feel the difference of a few pounds of tension, so i dont see the point. but it cant hurt

insiderman
02-02-2010, 01:55 PM
'BB' never really actually used it - sure, he allowed it to be marketed that he did (by his stringer at the time) but actually was always -2 Kilo's less in the crosses then the main's - typically the past 7+ years (since he's been using a 18x20) is 32x30 - again, that is typical tension - if it varies with court/ball/altitude, etc the same -2 Kilo remains. Trust me...I know all too well~

Tennis_Stringman
02-02-2010, 07:05 PM
One reason to lower the tension on the 4 top crosses is that this upper loop area is prone to snapping in an all poly setup. Poly strings don't have the "give" as other strings so miss hits in the upper loop causes snap breakage. Lowering the tension here can alleviate this breakage.

Casco
02-03-2010, 03:21 AM
With poly and the way it kinks when bent around the holes and frame, I'd bet that it doesn't "settle in" to the same degree as gut, multi or syn gut. Verdasco, they say, tensions the center four mains higher.

Valjean
02-03-2010, 08:11 AM
'BB' never really actually used it - sure, he allowed it to be marketed that he did (by his stringer at the time) but actually was always -2 Kilo's less in the crosses then the main's - typically the past 7+ years (since he's been using a 18x20) is 32x30 - again, that is typical tension - if it varies with court/ball/altitude, etc the same -2 Kilo remains. Trust me...I know all too well~
Be that as it may, presumably there was a useful reason for recommending just that configuration, and allowing his name to be attached to it.

FWIW--again--when I tried proportioning the lower ones too, but couldn't find out why they weren't included, I decided they were left out because there was too much power then in the lower stringbed, and the typical contact there didn't merit the added touch too.

indyfob2008
02-11-2010, 04:49 PM
One of the local stringers in my town said that, by reducing the tension in the upper cross strings, the sweetspot actually moves up a little bit.

Lefty5
02-12-2010, 05:38 AM
i can't get my clamp in on the first cross anyway so I pull the top two crosses at the same time. Proportional stringing by default!