PDA

View Full Version : marin cilic racquet

rjkeene
01-26-2010, 12:36 PM
According to TW Marin Cilic uses the Head Youtek radical midplus. However the racquet we see on TV coverage has a different color outer border and buttcap compared to the details shown on TW website.

If Cilic agreed to promote the radical midplus for Head, wouldn't Head at least paint whatever racquet he is using to match?

BobFL
01-26-2010, 12:45 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=308935

kiteboard
01-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteboard View Post
Three out of the top four use a gut/luxilon hybrid:
Fed: flexible control stick wilson k 90 flexy custom stick, wilson gut (made at same factory as vs) main/alu power rough 1.25mm 47/45 flexible control oriented stick 355-357g
Nadal: Duralast painted to look like hurricane tour, apd, 332-334g 54-52lbs. 7 pts head heavy with 15 g at 12, and 5 g at butt cap.
Murray: head pt57a 16/19 drill pattern flexible stick alu power main, vs gut cross 364g swing wt of 404g, head flexible control stick.
Djokovic: head flexible control stick, vs main/alu power 1.25mm stick, 360g. 61.5/59.4lbs.
Davydenko: 03 pro tour, poly star energy
Delpo: flexible control stick wilson flexy stick alu power 1.25mm 62/62, 361g.
Tsonga: babolat, hurricane tour black string, mass? tension?
Simon: head flexible stick, head nylon, 55/53
Roddick: bablolat, hurricane tour/vs gut 62/62
monfils: prince, luxilon alu 1.25mm 57/55

Seems like the top pros use gut main/alu power cross with control sticks, flexible,with silicone injected into the handle, and lead under the headguards, around 360g.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtennis View Post
i own a few of his used racquets did some customizing for him before wimbledon. its definetly a tgk 231.3 pattern is 16x19 length is 27in. uses 16g babolat gut on the mains and alu power on the cross.
Another top pro using vs gut mains, and alu power cross, with a flexy stick: ra 65 or so. The answer to the soul of the racquet is staring us in the face: Gut mains, and alu power 1.25mm crosses. Although Murracker is using the other way around, alu mains, and vs crosses, just like a lot of clay courters.

nethawkwenatchee
02-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Straight from the source...
- VSxALU (26.5x26.5)
- Gamma HighTech (wrapped) tachy grip (under a white overgrip)
- 350 g strung

dgoran
02-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Where do I get one of these...any customizer has them? Anyone selling?

nethawkwenatchee
02-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Where do I get one of these...any customizer has them? Anyone selling?

Hello dgoran,

There are several top 20 players with this paint scheme but I'm fairly certain this particular frame is next to impossible to have or get unless you know cilic (or know someone who does :))

I think he's the only player in the world currently alloted this frame/paint scheme. I've owned a variety of head frames and this one sounds the best at ball contact for sure (like a dirty harry pistol :) or maybe more like an m16) It feels similar to the 57E but just sounds a little more live, I think because of the quality of string job!

-nethawkwenatchee

vsbabolat
02-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Hello dgoran,

There are several top 20 players with this paint scheme but I'm fairly certain this particular frame is next to impossible to have or get unless you know cilic (or know someone who does :))

I think he's the only player in the world currently alloted this frame/paint scheme. I've owned a variety of head frames and this one sounds the best at ball contact for sure (like a dirty harry pistol :) or maybe more like an m16) It feels similar to the 57E but just sounds a little more live, I think because of the quality of string job!

-nethawkwenatchee

I would tend to think that there are other players using TGK231.3

dgoran
02-20-2010, 07:10 PM
who took those photos, looks like they are from Zagreb?

dgoran
02-20-2010, 07:12 PM
I dont care about the paint I am curious about 231.3...Open MP radical is customizes nirvana...

What's the flex?

nethawkwenatchee
02-20-2010, 11:25 PM
I dont care about the paint I am curious about 231.3...Open MP radical is customizes nirvana...

What's the flex?

I'm not certain about the composition/flex. I'm told the paint itself contributes to the overall layup? I do know that this particular frame is custom tailored specifically for Cilic... It feels a bit stiff but I haven't had any diagnostics taken (maybe one day I'll send it to dr325i for a full autopsy/play test? :)).

I've had several variations of Head MP frames... PT57#, TGK###.#, stock ETC. This one has is unique in many ways. You may contact "racquetcraft" and he may be able to help you find something close to what you're looking for? (I got this particular frame elsewhere)

who took those photos, looks like they are from Zagreb?

Good observation! Yes, the racquet bag pictured says Zagreb (I understand a certain Croatian has done well there :)) The frame arrived at my door in that bag and I took the pics :)

I would tend to think that there are other players using TGK231.3

I'm not sure VS. I'm familiar with a few other top players using "youtek radical mp" paint scheme... (Robin Soderling, Tomas Berdych, Patty Schnyder, Amelie Mauresmo... a few other doubles players?) maybe Cilic is the only with the frame we are discussing?

dgoran
02-21-2010, 05:59 AM
How head light head heavy is it?
Do you know how to measure balance?

vsbabolat
02-21-2010, 07:03 AM
I'm not certain about the composition/flex. I'm told the paint itself contributes to the overall layup? I do know that this particular frame is custom tailored specifically for Cilic... It feels a bit stiff but I haven't had any diagnostics taken (maybe one day I'll send it to dr325i for a full autopsy/play test? :)).

I've had several variations of Head MP frames... PT57#, TGK###.#, stock ETC. This one has is unique in many ways. You may contact "racquetcraft" and he may be able to help you find something close to what you're looking for? (I got this particular frame elsewhere)

Good observation! Yes, the racquet bag pictured says Zagreb (I understand a certain Croatian has done well there :)) The frame arrived at my door in that bag and I took the pics.

I'm not sure VS. I'm familiar with a few other top players using "youtek radical mp" paint scheme... (Robin Soderling, Tomas Berdych, Patty Schnyder, Amelie Mauresmo... a few other doubles players?) maybe Cilic is the only with the frame we are discussing?

Soderling uses PT57A with YT Radical cosmetics.

Berdych is using TGK260.x
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Berdych_2010_Aus_Open_1.jpg

Patty Schnyder recently has been using MG Prestige MP at the very least a paint job of one.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Patty_Schnyder_2010_Fed_Cup_1.jpg

Mauresmo's racquets were her Dunlop Revelation 200G with HEAD Radical Cosmetics.

I am pretty sure you find other player on the ATP or WTA who uses TGK231.3. This not exclusive to just Cilic. For little bit Donald Young was using TGK231.3 with MG Radical Cosmetics and so was Temira Paszek.

nethawkwenatchee
02-21-2010, 07:59 AM
[/QUOTE] This not exclusive to just Cilic. For little bit Donald Young was using TGK231.3 with MG Radical Cosmetics and so was Temira Paszek.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that VS. I'm thinking Cilic may be the only top player using TGK231.3 with "youtek radical mp" paint scheme at the moment. Maybe... ALOT hard to locate at the moment? I'm sure there are some 231.3 floating around but I can promise not many that mirror the one we are discussing (unless you know Cilic or someone close to him?) I wouldn't put that past you I think.

nethawkwenatchee
02-21-2010, 08:20 AM
"Patty Schnyder recently has been using MG Prestige MP at the very least a paint job of one"

You're right vsbabolat. Head had originally decided to have Patty endorse the Youtek series but most probably decided that it would be a better fit to keep her pushing the older line for now?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/news/2009/06/head_launches_youtek_radical_s.html&usg=AFQjCNHQW1iSkc47Qzabk3e2294KkCl98w

This press release, which is a bit old now, has the information about Patty Schnyder using the "youtek radical" paint scheme in the first paragraph. Anyway, it doesnt much matter I suppose. Take Care,

nethawkwenatchee
02-21-2010, 09:07 AM
How head light head heavy is it?
Do you know how to measure balance?

320mm or roughly 8pts hh

vsbabolat
02-21-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm not certain about the composition/flex. I'm told the paint itself contributes to the overall layup?

I just wanted to add that paint has nothing to do with the Lay-up.
The lay-up process is the application of multiple plies of carbon, Kevlar, fiberglass, etc. along the mandrel.
Some people claim the different pigmentation of paint can have a effect of how a racquet feels (Flex). I don't buy into that. When racquet companies have players test racquets. The racquets are painted black so there is no psychological influences from the cosmetics. Therefore a player can give a unbiased evaluation of the racquet without them thinking about the cosmetics.

nethawkwenatchee
02-21-2010, 01:29 PM
320mm or roughly 8pts hh

I messed that up... sorry guys.

- balance is actually 320mm measured from the butt end so a little less than an inch toward the butt end or 8pts head light

- (I said I wasn't much of a technician... I knew frame was headlight though :) )

Also, thanks to vs for the clarification on the layup question.

Take Care,

RacquetCraft
02-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Hello dgoran,

-nethawkwenatchee

Nethawkwenatchee, I read your description above. So, here's your script for the next time you play an opponent with your Cilic racquet:

"I know what you're thinking. Did she fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a Head TGK 231.3 pro stock "Cilic" racquet, the most powerful racquet in the world, and would blow your head clear off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?" :wink:

dr325i
02-21-2010, 06:48 PM
It feels a bit stiff but I haven't had any diagnostics taken (maybe one day I'll send it to dr325i for a full autopsy/play test? :)).

I am ready and the tools are ready :)
I'll pay for the shipping ;)

dgoran
02-22-2010, 05:10 AM
Hey Nethawk why did you take the photos down? It was cool to see em here...

nethawkwenatchee
02-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Hey Nethawk why did you take the photos down? It was cool to see em here...

Hi dgoran,

I guess I just wanted to show them off a little but not too much, didn't want to play it out too much... if that makes any since. I tell you what, tonight when I get home from work I'll put e'm back up.

Take Care,

nethawkwenatchee

steve728
02-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Very sweet frame. (Saw the pic earlier.) A short review would be great, so we can vicariously hit through it!

nethawkwenatchee
02-22-2010, 09:51 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/1zg6yz4.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/mmriq1.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/dy4xfr.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/of8wmv.jpg

nethawkwenatchee
02-22-2010, 09:53 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/2exrh1x.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2h5qhjo.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/15nw2vl.jpg

dgoran
02-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Very sweet thanks man, yeah give us a review. I wonder if its flexi like MG radical or stiffer like lm series.

jemsiter
03-18-2010, 08:53 PM
There is a Cilic used and signed frame on the bay right now.
Item number 130375455999

NoleDjoko
03-21-2010, 12:59 AM
woow great mold

nethawkwenatchee
03-24-2010, 05:57 PM
woow great mold

Thanks, I got it a while back and have had a hit with it. It makes some killer noise at ball contact!

PSNELKE
04-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Cilic plays with the Head YOUTEK Radical Midplus Racquet and uses the Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power Tennis strings.

ChevyTennis
04-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Cilic plays with the Head YOUTEK Radical Midplus Racquet and uses the Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power Tennis strings.

WRONG! INCORRECT! FAIL! BAD INFO!

nethawkwenatchee
04-10-2010, 01:07 PM
WRONG! INCORRECT! FAIL! BAD INFO!

"PSNELKE" I've attached some pics of one of his personal frames in this thread (the frame has youtek radical MP paint scheme, engineering code TGK231.3... he previously used the same frame in microgel paint) You are also partially correct about the strings. He actually uses VS16 in his mains and ALUPower125 in the crosses (mine is strung at 26.5/26.5) and he uses a range of tensions fairly close to this (changes based on environmental factors) Anyway, thanks for you're contribution to our thread. Its always interesting to discuss player frames :)