joshburger
01-26-2010, 12:33 PM
-why some people bring a gatorade and water and drink frm both equally

-why doubles players warm up dwn the line and not crosscourt

this may be in the wrong section...

add to the list

Cindysphinx
01-26-2010, 12:43 PM
-- What the other team is talking about during changeovers?

-- Why some women rec players wear make-up? (One good towel wipe and I would have a soiled towel and a streaked face).

-- How anyone can show up to a match with just one racquet? (I would spend the whole match wondering if my strings would break).

spot
01-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Why so many USTA teams continually put their top 2 players at line 1 doubles even though all the lines count equally.

Why people think that creeping up to the service line intimidates a server that is looking up at the ball.

How anyone on earth can be sure that they are not footfaulting if someone tells them they are.

Why more 3.5ish level women don't play with gut strings since they aren't stringbreakers to begin with and could use the touch and power.

How women play tennis with a ball up their skirt without it bothering them.

Cindysphinx
01-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Why so many USTA teams continually put their top 2 players at line 1 doubles even though all the lines count equally.

Because the rules do not treat all three courts the same. If you put your top players on Court Three and the other team DFs, is short a doubles pair, Court Three must be forfeited. Then your strongest pair is sitting in the bleachers while your weaker players are getting hammered.

Why more 3.5ish level women don't play with gut strings since they aren't stringbreakers to begin with and could use the touch and power.

That is a good question. I play with a gut hybrid, and none of my teammates and friends is the least interested in strings.

I think the reason is that if you aren't hitting with something that resembles good technique, your strings won't matter. So why pay $40 for strings when you can pay $10? Also, if you are already popping $$$ for clinics and lessons, ya gotta save money somewhere, right?

How women play tennis with a ball up their skirt without it bothering them.

It's all I've ever known.

Cindy -- who has not once -- ever -- played tennis in a pair of shorts

jswinf
01-26-2010, 01:43 PM
How can some women pros play with earrings the size of hubcaps.

Why Del Potro doesn't stop wearing sleeveless shirts or grow some muscles.

Why my opponent's shots land on the lines and mine land 4 inches out.

Cindysphinx
01-26-2010, 03:04 PM
How can some women pros play with earrings the size of hubcaps.

I have no idea. I can't wear more than a pair of small studs.

How can some women play in bracelets? (I used to play in a small necklace with a silver circle pendent. I stopped wearing it when it smacked my front tooth; I was relieved the tooth didn't crack.)

How can people play tennis without *something* on their heads? If I forget a hat/visor/bandana for a match, I might just have to retire. All that hair sliding across my contact lenses and sweat dripping in my eyes . . . .

JavierLW
01-26-2010, 03:15 PM
-why some people bring a gatorade and water and drink frm both equally

I used to do this. It's because the gatorade has way too much sugar these days and it's not really that great for you, and the water is refreshing and helps wash the gatorade down.

Brawndo has got electrolytes! (I mean gatorade....)

LeeD
01-26-2010, 03:49 PM
CindyS, you're such a girl.
I hate hats with visors because it makes me bend my head upwards on serves.
I hate hats because you sweat more in hats.
I hate hats period. I wear hats 350 days a year.
Bracelets? Jewels? Are you kidding?

tom10s
01-26-2010, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=Cindysphinx;4331674]Because the rules do not treat all three courts the same. If you put your top players on Court Three and the other team DFs, is short a doubles pair, Court Three must be forfeited. Then your strongest pair is sitting in the bleachers while your weaker players are getting hammered.

Huh? Your strongest pair is **guaranteed** a win if opponent defaults court3. If they play court1 against opponent's strongest pair then presumably odds of winning are exponentially less than 100%. As a captain, my goal when assigning courts is to win as many courts as possible. If my opponent is lazy enough to assign courts based on strength 1-2-3 then I can put my strongest vs their weakest. It is all about winning as many courts as possible with any particular roster for a given match.

Am I missing something cindy?

SoloAJ
01-26-2010, 04:25 PM
tom, if you put your strongest against their absolute weakest, you're giving up a lot of edge in the middle of your lineup.

If anything, you'd want to put your strongest against their "strongest that my team can beat almost every time." Not their "weakest."

tom10s
01-26-2010, 05:02 PM
tom, if you put your strongest against their absolute weakest, you're giving up a lot of edge in the middle of your lineup.

If anything, you'd want to put your strongest against their "strongest that my team can beat almost every time." Not their "weakest."

Yes, if outcomes were more predictable that is exactly what a captain should do. But, since we are dealing with best guesses/probabilities and not "almost every time" level of confidence....
I take the sure won court every time if I think I can engineer it via court assignments. I have been amazed at how often my "sacrifices" at court#1 have played inspired matches and beaten the overconfident "stronger" opponents. Truly amazed.

doubleshack
01-26-2010, 06:49 PM
How people come off the court saying they played poorly way more times then they come off the court saying they played well....shouldn't that be about even, or do people think they are better then they really are?

Cindysphinx
01-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Huh? Your strongest pair is **guaranteed** a win if opponent defaults court3. If they play court1 against opponent's strongest pair then presumably odds of winning are exponentially less than 100%. As a captain, my goal when assigning courts is to win as many courts as possible. If my opponent is lazy enough to assign courts based on strength 1-2-3 then I can put my strongest vs their weakest. It is all about winning as many courts as possible with any particular roster for a given match.

Am I missing something cindy?

Think of it this way.

Say the opposing captain calls you the day before the match and says they will be defaulting one doubles court (so Court Three). When you turn in your line-up, would you have your strongest pair on Court Three, taking the default? No, you would have your weakest players on Court Three taking the default and your strongest pair having a good shot at taking one of the remaining courts.

Well, anytime you put your strongest players on Court Three, you are taking a risk that your strongest players will win by default but you will lose the other two courts.

That's all I'm saying.

JHBKLYN
01-26-2010, 08:55 PM
why some people bring a gatorade and water and drink frm both equally:
I always bring Gatorade and water. Same as what JavierLW said, the gatorade can be too sweet and the water will give you that refreshing feeling when needed. When it's 95 degrees out, too much warm gatorade actually make me more thirsty ..

-why doubles players warm up dwn the line and not crosscourt
This is just a theory. It'll be a disadvantage for a righty to warm up crosscourt on the ad side. They'll have to hit inside out forehands and you know how many balls would end up on the deuce court from terrible backhands. Not to mention you'll have balls crossing each and that's very distracting.

JHBKLYN
01-26-2010, 09:03 PM
What the other team is talking about during changeovers?
Mumbling how in the world the other team is beating us when we are clearly better!

Why some women rec players wear make-up? (One good towel wipe and I would have a soiled towel and a streaked face).
Playing mix dubs tennis is a very good opportunity for singles to meet other singles. Why spoil the chance by revealing what one really looks like!

How anyone can show up to a match with just one racquet? (I would spend the whole match wondering if my strings would break)
One girl explained to me that she never breaks a string and probably never will ... and seeing how she just pushes the ball back and hits 25mph serves, she probably won't be breaking strings any time soon!

JHBKLYN
01-26-2010, 09:06 PM
All lines are not created equal. In NYC tennis, there is a point system for the 3 lines.

How women play tennis with a ball up their skirt without it bothering them
Probably the same reason how men play with 2 of them without it bothering them. :)

JavierLW
01-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Think of it this way.

Say the opposing captain calls you the day before the match and says they will be defaulting one doubles court (so Court Three). When you turn in your line-up, would you have your strongest pair on Court Three, taking the default? No, you would have your weakest players on Court Three taking the default and your strongest pair having a good shot at taking one of the remaining courts.

Well, anytime you put your strongest players on Court Three, you are taking a risk that your strongest players will win by default but you will lose the other two courts.

That's all I'm saying.

Brilliant logic at work.....

Whether they default #3 or not, the same thing happens, if you think you'll lose at #1 and #2 with a default at #3, you'll lose at #1 and #2 even without the default.

Either way your stronger team wins at #3.

Obviously they are not playing tennis and you may lament that geez it would be nice to then move them to #1 or #2 for yet another win but that is only after knowing there was a default. It's not a argument for not doing it at all.

Actually where he's gone wrong though is with the math. Depending on what his goal is, probability theory dictates that whether you go straight up or you stack the lineup, the odds of reaching your ultimate goal are about the same.

Like he admits, nothing is 100% one way or another, it's a combination of estimated averages and all stacking does is severely lower the odds on one position in order to raise the odds on another one. When you average those together you get the same odds...

(not saying I wouldnt do it if there are other reasons, but it's not really the secret way to win a "easy" match or anything. 3 coin flips are the same odds as a coin flip, a very likely pick, and a very unlikely one...)

kylebarendrick
01-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Worrying about which line plays where (in USTA leagues where the results count equally) only matters if (1) you can be reasonably sure how the other team will create their line-up, or (2) You don't want other teams to game-plan against your tendancies.

If you have no idea what they are going to do, then you may but your strongest at #3 and have them end up playing their strongest anyway (I had that happen in a match last year). At the same time, there are some teams that always put their strongest on line #1. Those are the easiest teams to work around.

If my strongest team takes a default at #3 that's fine. I put them there to win anyway.

JavierLW
01-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Worrying about which line plays where (in USTA leagues where the results count equally) only matters if (1) you can be reasonably sure how the other team will create their line-up, or (2) You don't want other teams to game-plan against your tendancies.

If you have no idea what they are going to do, then you may but your strongest at #3 and have them end up playing their strongest anyway (I had that happen in a match last year). At the same time, there are some teams that always put their strongest on line #1. Those are the easiest teams to work around.

If my strongest team takes a default at #3 that's fine. I put them there to win anyway.

It's actually amazing, but few teams that I encounter put a whole lot of thought into what anyone else is doing.

You'd have to get to know their captain to know for sure, but almost always they either dont stack or they stack depending on some belief on whether it's the thing to do or not....

So it's actually in a lot of cases not hard to nail down what people are doing if you pay attention. (although they're idea of what their #1 is, may not be the same as what you think is their #1)

If I get to know someone and I know they actually think about what Im doing then I consider moving things around, but that's only happened to me a few times. (it's like poker, I try to think about what they think Im going to do and I either go along with it or not depending on what my goal is....)

spot
01-27-2010, 12:28 PM
I just think its amazing that teams put their best 2 players together at all. Personally I think you are nuts not to split your best 2 players and have them try and win 2 lines for you.