PDA

View Full Version : Best Value Replacement for Wilson Sensation? (their stock string)

Xenakis
01-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Got a friend who wants me to restring his racquet with the factory strings it came with (Nblade 98 18/20, Wilson Sensation.)

He's had the racquet a year or two and hasn't had it restrung yet (strings not broken but they are brittle and lack spring/pop, they move a lot also.)

However this string seems pretty expensive to me (especially in the UK) and I'm wondering what would be a better value replacement? (a decent long lasting multi.) I looked it up on stringforum and it's not very well reviewed and many complain about the price.

He doesn't know anything about strings and just wants something that will last as long as the factory strings (he doesn't have much money so I would like to find him a better deal.)

Any advice appreciated.

Nanshiki
01-26-2010, 02:44 PM
It's not especially expensive... compared to other strings.

But you should try low-end multifilaments like Pro Supex Maxim Touch, some of the Babolat multis...Prince Premier /w Soft Flex...etc

If he only restrings every two years, you don't need to worry about the price of the string!

He'd probably be fine with a regular syn gut ($3 a set).

Bash and Crash
01-26-2010, 05:16 PM
hhmmm, sensation is pretty cheap here, but may Prince Syn Gut Multifilament, Dunlop Max comfort, Gamma Revelation...although Sensation is a solid inexpensive multi.

uk_skippy
01-27-2010, 04:22 AM
Sensation is quite expensive here in the Uk for what it is. In saying that, I bought my reel from TWE as I use a lot of it. Set prices are expensive so if you only want a set of two then choose something else, something like TF Multifeel or even Mantis Comfort synthetic.

If you still want Sensation, then I may a set of two that I can sell to you for a much better price then you'll get anyway. Just drop me a message.

Regards

Paul

Xenakis
01-27-2010, 04:57 AM
Re UK price per set for those in the US.... About 10.50 from the main string retailer which is pricey. From TWE it's about €8 which is better but the postage is €10.

So it is expensive here for a decent but fairly basic multi.

Thanks for suggestions though. Skippy, a couple of sets sounds good, I'd rather use the string he wants if possible. I'll send you an email thanks.

Blade0324
01-27-2010, 06:15 AM
You might consider looking into Babolat Addiction. Nice string for a good price.

GameSetMatch
05-18-2010, 12:55 PM
ProSupex MT is a multi and about 4 in the UK.....

armsty
05-18-2010, 02:33 PM
In all honesty, I have customers who use Wilson mainly and love Tecnifiber Syn Gut ($40USD) a reel about 2lbs higher then mid tension. These guys don't play very competitively, just junior comp once a week, but the TSG is really a great synthetic, probably not the best and compared to Sensation it isn't as durable, but thees kids are breaking the Tecnifiber only every 6 weeks -3 months so they don't really mind.

Doubles
05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Hmm, Babolat addiction, or maybe Prince Synthetic Duraflex...

ManuGinobili
05-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Mantis Comfort Poly is advertised as comparable to Sensation

GameSetMatch
05-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Mantis Comfort Poly is advertised as comparable to Sensation

No it isn't.

pvaudio
05-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Mantis Comfort Poly is advertised as comparable to SensationI don't think that anyone with a lick of advertising sense would say that a polyester string has similar playing characteristics to a low end multifilament.

OP, it looks like you're just trying to find a replacement string. Since he didn't break the sensation after a year, chances are good that a good string is not going to make a huge change in his playing ability. With that said then, just look into some crisp synthetic guts: Gosen OG Sheep Micro, Pro Supex Spiral Flex or maybe if you're feeling a bit more adventurous, try Prince Lightning.

Ash_Smith
05-19-2010, 07:22 AM
I generally find Sensation to be pretty cack and far too expensive for what it offers (especially here in the UK!) I'm a big fan of RAB Texflex and SensorFibre. The mantis strings are also pretty good, though I found the comfort synthetic to be very, very, very soft (too soft!) but the power synthetic is pretty nice and may suit the job at hand.

Ash

Xenakis
05-19-2010, 07:29 AM
This was posted some time ago and I ended up stringing my friend's racquet with some Sensation that I got off Skippy (cheers!).

But yes, very expensive for what it is and I'm certain there are many better alternatives at a cheaper price but my friend won't have it, only wants Sensation partly because it's made by Wilson (he's currently a bit disappointed that the Wilson stencil I applied hasn't lasted as long as the factory one, I might have to re-do it).

Although if he has to pay full price for the string the next time he wants it doing he might change his mind about sticking with the string.