PDA

View Full Version : Polys at low tension + Which "dead" strings play well

Dominik
01-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Hey!

Here's some background: I'm in love with a k90 setup strung with Pro Supex Big Ace at 50lb. However, typically, true love starts several hours after hitting with a fresh string job.

This string has been great for me since it's pretty much the only polyester that is still amazing after it dies (unlike, for example, Cyberflash). In fact, I like it most when it starts to die - you get such nice power, precision, and spin on command all with a very relaxed stroke. This is actually why I'm using it - I don't want to have to restring after every second hit. This setup only seems to start to lose its qualities after a few weeks.

However - I'm wondering, would decreasing the tension even more help towards this kind of a powerful feel earlier on in the string's life? Has anyone tried similar polyester strings at even lower tensions?

I know frame size is also a factor that affects relative stiffness of a string bed (ie/ a 50lb on a 90 sq inch is not the same as a 50 on a 100 sq inch) - but how low can you go before decreasing tension starts to negatively impact power?

Does anyone know any other setups that feel this good even after they're dead? I string my own rackets so I have no problem testing things out. If I remember correctly, Wilson Sensation seemed to play fairly well for me even after a while.

Thanks! :)

bad_call
01-26-2010, 04:28 PM
yeah that PS Big Ace is a nice string and plays great for a long time. have you tried the PS Big Ace Micro? i like that one quite a bit. currently trying Big Banger Original and liking how it plays tho only time will tell how long it lasts and if it plays well in the "dead zone".

Dominik
01-26-2010, 04:37 PM
yeah that PS Big Ace is a nice string and plays great for a long time. have you tried the PS Big Ace Micro? i like that one quite a bit. currently trying Big Banger Original and liking how it plays tho only time will tell how long it lasts and if it plays well in the "dead zone".

No, I haven't tried the Micro - how does it play compared to the regular one? Is it softer?

Haha, I don't want to touch Lux strings because they're too expensive - I'd rather just restring more often! :)

bad_call
01-26-2010, 05:31 PM
No, I haven't tried the Micro - how does it play compared to the regular one? Is it softer?

Haha, I don't want to touch Lux strings because they're too expensive - I'd rather just restring more often! :)

got the BBO in a string trade. :) Lux is overpriced IMO.

the Micro is softer, pockets the ball well, nice power and has great feel/feedback...price is good too. definitely worth a try if you like those attributes.

Dominik
01-26-2010, 05:53 PM
got the BBO in a string trade. :) Lux is overpriced IMO.

the Micro is softer, pockets the ball well, nice power and has great feel/feedback...price is good too. definitely worth a try if you like those attributes.

Good to know about the Micro - I'll definitely give it a try (maybe trade for it on stringforums?).

Do you have any experience with MSV Hex and how it plays after it starts to die? I remember really liking it, but it was with a bunch of other random string trials I did so I cut it before it got old.

bad_call
01-27-2010, 05:59 AM
Good to know about the Micro - I'll definitely give it a try (maybe trade for it on stringforums?).

Do you have any experience with MSV Hex and how it plays after it starts to die? I remember really liking it, but it was with a bunch of other random string trials I did so I cut it before it got old.

i picked up some MSV Hex 1.10 in a string trade. strung it up a little too tight and it didn't have the power or feel like BAM. still have some so maybe next time try it in a different setup. being so thin, don't recommend it in a full poly job cause it won't last long before breaking.

Dominik
01-27-2010, 11:50 AM
i picked up some MSV Hex 1.10 in a string trade. strung it up a little too tight and it didn't have the power or feel like BAM. still have some so maybe next time try it in a different setup. being so thin, don't recommend it in a full poly job cause it won't last long before breaking.

Yeah, it seemed to work really nicely for me at 50lb. I wouldn't know how long it would last though.

Does anyone else have any suggestions too? :)

brucie
01-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Hey!

Here's some background: I'm in love with a k90 setup strung with Pro Supex Big Ace at 50lb. However, typically, true love starts several hours after hitting with a fresh string job.

This string has been great for me since it's pretty much the only polyester that is still amazing after it dies (unlike, for example, Cyberflash). In fact, I like it most when it starts to die - you get such nice power, precision, and spin on command all with a very relaxed stroke. This is actually why I'm using it - I don't want to have to restring after every second hit. This setup only seems to start to lose its qualities after a few weeks.

However - I'm wondering, would decreasing the tension even more help towards this kind of a powerful feel earlier on in the string's life? Has anyone tried similar polyester strings at even lower tensions?

I know frame size is also a factor that affects relative stiffness of a string bed (ie/ a 50lb on a 90 sq inch is not the same as a 50 on a 100 sq inch) - but how low can you go before decreasing tension starts to negatively impact power?

Does anyone know any other setups that feel this good even after they're dead? I string my own rackets so I have no problem testing things out. If I remember correctly, Wilson Sensation seemed to play fairly well for me even after a while.

Thanks! :)

TF Redcode is immense at low tension though doesnt stay good for long.

However Topspin CyberBlue as its now known or Poly Polar as im used to stays playable forevevr would reccomend that one

Dominik
01-27-2010, 06:08 PM
TF Redcode is immense at low tension though doesnt stay good for long.

However Topspin CyberBlue as its now known or Poly Polar as im used to stays playable forevevr would reccomend that one

I'm not sure about the topspin strings - for me Cyberflash seemed to play amazing for a few hours, but then died fairly quickly. How does Poly Polar compare to Cyberflash or Big Ace?

rosheem
01-28-2010, 05:10 PM
TF Pro Red Code is really nice at 52 lbs. for me.

I like to hybrid with Gosen OG Sheep Micro or Weiscannon Explosiv. I jack up the tension on the multi crosses to help stabilize the poly mains so they don't go dead so fast. Seems to work for me.

bad_call
01-28-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm not sure about the topspin strings - for me Cyberflash seemed to play amazing for a few hours, but then died fairly quickly. How does Poly Polar compare to Cyberflash or Big Ace?

if Poly Polar is the same as Cyber Blue then found that it plays well (nice power and comfort) but at times had balls fly on me. so control was spotty for this player.

brucie
01-31-2010, 07:33 AM
if Poly Polar is the same as Cyber Blue then found that it plays well (nice power and comfort) but at times had balls fly on me. so control was spotty for this player.

Poly Polar was the old version of Cyber Blue and from the looks of it they aint changed anything just bumped the price up and called it:

Cyber..... just to leach onto the popular Cyberflash name which I guess is what making money is about, its a good string though.

Nice soft feeling poly with good enough durability because its a poly and it mixes well too.