PDA

View Full Version : TT Warrior's upper hoop

andirez
04-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Yet Another Warrior Question :)

I would like to know how the warrior feels when you hit a ball high in the hoop. Does it vibrate a lot (like for instance the Diablo MP) or does it feel more solid with still a respectable amount of pop (example Precision 640). I am hoping for the later due to its stiffness rating of 67, but better to ask here first.

What I am really looking for is a slightly lighter Precision 640 and I am wondering if the Warrior could be just that. Never hit with anything more solid than the Precision 640, but if only it would swing a bit lighter. I also wonder what role the crossbar plays (which the Warrior lacks). The Precision 640 really doesn't seem to vibrate much at all, even on terrible mis hits close to the frame. So that is basically what I am looking form in a slightly lighter package.

monologuist
04-27-2005, 09:30 AM
THe WArrior is plenty stable in the upper hoop as it has the additiojn of "Triple THreat" weighting at 10 and 2 o'clock. It might need a little lead at 3 and 9, but probably not in the upper hoop.

raftermania
04-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Yeah like monologuist says, it's pretty stable. But if you have different standards, the solution is to add lead to the upper hoop to increase it's stability, this will bring the sweetspot higher and make balls hit up there feel a lot more solidly.

andirez
04-28-2005, 03:38 AM
Yeah like monologuist says, it's pretty stable. But if you have different standards, the solution is to add lead to the upper hoop to increase it's stability, this will bring the sweetspot higher and make balls hit up there feel a lot more solidly.

It's indeed all very subjective. In my experience, you can't make the upper part of the frame significantly more "stable" by adding lead tape. Okay, it will feel a bit more solid, but if it vibrates a lot stock, it will do the same even if you add a considerable amount of lead tape. I think it has more to do with the flex in the upper hoop than with weight.

Reason why I am so picky on this is that I get lower arm pain (not elbow) from low flex frames that vibrate a lot. For most people it is the other way around, but not in my case. Now I agree if you hit in the sweetpot all the time these low flex frames also are also almost vibrateless, but I am a human being and tend to miss the sweet spot quite a lot :)

raftermania
04-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Hey even Fed mishits! But I think you're expected too much! Anything not hit in the sweetspot is always going to feel shaky. Your best bet to maximize the sweetspot feeling is to get a super oversize stick like a head s.8. Have you tried 28" racquets before?

all_court
04-28-2005, 05:31 PM
My TT Warrior MP seems to play well in the upper hoop: decent pop; little objectionable vibration. The worn spot on my strings is above center, between approx 10:00 and 2:00 on the frame. Consistent with this experience is racquetresearch's claim that the TT Warrior MPs' sweet spot is higher than most other frames http://www.racquetresearch.com/2002/Criteria%20Rankings/sweetspot.htm.
I have not tried the Diablo MP or the Precision 640.

andirez
04-29-2005, 01:54 AM
Hey even Fed mishits! But I think you're expected too much! Anything not hit in the sweetspot is always going to feel shaky. Your best bet to maximize the sweetspot feeling is to get a super oversize stick like a head s.8. Have you tried 28" racquets before?

Yes, I might be expecting a bit too much :) However, there is a big difference between racquets and upper hoop stability so why not look for the most comfortable one (for me that is, other might prefer a very flexy hoop).

I have a couple of oversize frames, Prokennex SMI 10g OS (this is not the new 10g but one of the first series of kinitec frames). It is 110 sq inch and hits comfortable although it is cumbersome at times and it can torque quite a bit. Actually took me some time before I didn't feel ashamed to pull such a big racquet out of my bag ;)

Can't say I have tried longbodies. The longest racquet I have is the Diablo MP which is 27.25", so it is hardly noticable. I am a bit weary regarding longbodies but that could be totally unjustified. The longer the racquet, the more force it can exert on your arm is my reasoning.

andirez
04-29-2005, 01:58 AM
My TT Warrior MP seems to play well in the upper hoop: decent pop; little objectionable vibration. The worn spot on my strings is above center, between approx 10:00 and 2:00 on the frame. Consistent with this experience is racquetresearch's claim that the TT Warrior MPs' sweet spot is higher than most other frames http://www.racquetresearch.com/2002/Criteria%20Rankings/sweetspot.htm.
I have not tried the Diablo MP or the Precision 640.

Interesting table for sure, I knew about the racquetresearch web site but did not see this yet. However this calculation is solely based on swing weight and mass so basically you can modify any frame with lead tape so that it gets listed high in this category. Thanks for the link :)

Between 10 and 2 seems really high for consecutive hitting. Sounds promissing for sure if that feels comfortable enough for you. The shots that bug me most are those that can be considered as real mis-hits and whenever I mis hit, it is 9 out of 10 in the upper part of the hoop, near the frame. So that is what I am looking for, a frame that isn't too harsh over there. It is not my intention to have a frame that "fixes" my mis-hits, I just want to have as little discomfort as possible when I do :)

raftermania
04-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Yes, I might be expecting a bit too much :) However, there is a big difference between racquets and upper hoop stability so why not look for the most comfortable one (for me that is, other might prefer a very flexy hoop).

I have a couple of oversize frames, Prokennex SMI 10g OS (this is not the new 10g but one of the first series of kinitec frames). It is 110 sq inch and hits comfortable although it is cumbersome at times and it can torque quite a bit. Actually took me some time before I didn't feel ashamed to pull such a big racquet out of my bag ;)

Can't say I have tried longbodies. The longest racquet I have is the Diablo MP which is 27.25", so it is hardly noticable. I am a bit weary regarding longbodies but that could be totally unjustified. The longer the racquet, the more force it can exert on your arm is my reasoning.

Wow, well you seem to know what you are looking for. Good luck finding that ideal upper hoop!

all_court
04-29-2005, 03:23 PM
"I ... tend to miss the sweet spot quite a lot".
I can't know your ability level, nor your opinion about coaching. But, a coach is teaching me to move into better hitting position, and to stop moving my head off the ball prematurely. Result: far fewer mis-hits.

Outside of coaching, a ProKennex Kinetic technology frame could be your ticket. Their 5g Reach OS helped me when I had tennis elbow awhile back. If I hadn't used it, I wouldn't believe ProKennex' shock damping claims.

andirez
04-30-2005, 02:48 AM
"I ... tend to miss the sweet spot quite a lot".
I can't know your ability level, nor your opinion about coaching. But, a coach is teaching me to move into better hitting position, and to stop moving my head off the ball prematurely. Result: far fewer mis-hits.

Outside of coaching, a ProKennex Kinetic technology frame could be your ticket. Their 5g Reach OS helped me when I had tennis elbow awhile back. If I hadn't used it, I wouldn't believe ProKennex' shock damping claims.

I am a not a US citizen so I am unsure how to rate myself. If I read the descriptions of the different levels, I would clearly say I am a 4.0, but there is no way of telling that for sure and I don't like to make statements like that since it seems a sore subject here.

I might have expressed myself wrong when I say I tend to mis hit the sweetspot quite a lot. I don't mean I hit frame balls all the time, but often you feel that you missed it by an inch or so. The ball still goes where you intended it to go, but with a bit less pace and you just felt that the hit wasn't as clean as it could have been. I do have "real" mis-hits every know and then (mostly near the top of the frame), but not that much :)

In any case, I'll be having some lessons again soon, that can never hurt :)

I own a couple of kinetic frames (5G 2001's and SMI 10G OS's) and although I believe in the kinetic technology, my discomfort doesn't seem to be related to the stress that the kinetic system reliefs.