PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on here from the 60's or 70's????

jimanuel12
01-27-2010, 06:59 AM
Talk about classic rackets????

how about the jack krammer autograph?
the little white tennis shorts
the canvas tennis shoes
the socks pulled up your knees
the wear nothing but "white" when you played
the old wood tennis racket braces
the old leather grips (that was the thing)
the rackets that weighted a ton
the metal tennis ball cans
the clay courts (i played on them in Georgia)
the play until you drop and can't play anymore
blue star tourament nylon strings
the wilson T2000, T3000
the first alumimum racket
the first composite racket

man, those were the days!!!!

galain
01-27-2010, 07:13 AM
I was born in 1970 so most of my tennis started in the early 80's. However, I can add to your list gauze overgrip (had it on all my racquets, towelling grip sometimes as well), and racquet covers that only came down to the throat of the racquet.

And I still wear canvas shoes on the dirt!

Bigtime
01-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Still have my T2000. Every once in while a I'll pull it out and play some doubles with it, really gets some interesting looks and comments.

atatu
01-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Remember when players would tuck a little towel into their shorts and fold it into a square ? I know a guy who still does that...

vwfye
01-27-2010, 10:00 AM
I played in Chuck Taylors, and what ever t shirt a shorts were at the top of my drawer. Woodies, then aluminum and finally moved up to a Copper Ace and a Tremont Research stringer. That was my 70s to 80s transition. I remember seeing my 1st T2000 on the wall, it was $50.00! It might as well been made of gold back then. $50 was HUGE!

jimanuel12
01-27-2010, 11:41 AM
I played in Chuck Taylors, and what ever t shirt a shorts were at the top of my drawer. Woodies, then aluminum and finally moved up to a Copper Ace and a Tremont Research stringer. That was my 70s to 80s transition. I remember seeing my 1st T2000 on the wall, it was $50.00! It might as well been made of gold back then. $50 was HUGE!

i bought my first T2000 for $40.00 - man that was allot of money back in the day!!!

jimanuel12
01-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I was born in 1970 so most of my tennis started in the early 80's. However, I can add to your list gauze overgrip (had it on all my racquets, towelling grip sometimes as well), and racquet covers that only came down to the throat of the racquet.

And I still wear canvas shoes on the dirt!

that is a good one, i had forgotten about the gauze overgrips.

coachrick
01-27-2010, 11:59 AM
I barely nicked the 60s with my tennis ...not really knowing anything until '72 when I started working in a tennis specialty shop(unheard of back then...before that, you went to a hardware/sporting goods store for your equipment. Unless you belonged to a club...no such luck for me!)

Folks were very careful not to mix the Jack Kramer WHITE shorts with a CREAM JK shirt. We sold boxes and boxes of Bancroft panties in white, powder blue and 'gasp' yellow. The first exciting colors came from Tom Gorman/Pacific Trails...bold rugby stripes and a really attractive combo of kelly green and navy. We sold bundles of Izod pique knit shirts--extra grand patron for me, thank you. Those shirts weighed a ton when loaded with sweat...tails would hang down to your knees!

Tretorn Nylite shoes...possibly the worst yet most popular shoe of the time. We thought we would NEVER sell another pair of the Tretorn LEATHA-lite shoe when the retail price went north of $20. Never thought we would sell another Fairway grip when the cost went over TEN BUCKS installed! Tournament nylon installed for $5.95...thought we were killing ourselves when we went up to $7.95 after a few months. Only the 'lower end' natural gut would sell for under $20---Victor Superb, American Eagle seconds, etc.

The Bancroft ESC racket(epoxy-steel-compposite)...nothing but a wood frame but had an overlay of red, translucent epoxy with visible steel mesh embedded in it--as a laminate for the shoulders. UNTIL it de-laminated within a week! The original Arthur Ashe Competition racket...looked like an old battle ship when the skin began to oxidize.

Fuschia colored tennis balls. Spalding 'PROFESSIONAL' balls, white with colored seams!

Ah, the good old days!

retrowagen
01-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Trebling. "Rough or Smooth?" would start a match, not "M or W?" or "P or D?" or even "Up or Down?"

coachrick
01-27-2010, 12:13 PM
that is a good one, i had forgotten about the gauze overgrips.

Our original gauze tape came from Johnson and Johnson, I believe. Green was the only color. When the tan and blue were introduced, the rumor was that the blue absorbed better...people wouldn't buy the green after that! You couldn't get the used roll started again after the heat 'melted' the end into the rest of the roll. Handles would be glued together if left touching in your bag.

How about rosin powder? Sold a lot of that. SAI(Sports Accessories Inc) had 'snooty' packaging of all accessories related to tennis and some of the best socks of the day.

Anybody remember their first REAL wristband...not just a cloth but REAL elastic for stretch. How about matching the wristband stripe with the stripe on your socks?

Remember your first warm-up/track suit? Mine was a White Stag...solid white, zippers on the legs...same one worn by the University team. Man, I thought I was somethin' !

coachrick
01-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Trebling. "Rough or Smooth?" would start a match, not "M or W?" or "P or D?" or even "Up or Down?"

Yep, had to be careful to match the trebling 'rough or smooth' with that of the knots. (or, if you didn't match, you could "Spin it and win it" by showing the other.)

Yeah, 'P or D' was a few years into my 'career'...I always liked "Head or Dead". Of course, the early Volkls didn't even have butt caps. Yamaha had the 'tuning fork' for up or down.

Anyone remember the rumor that Yoneyama changed to Yonex after 'being bought out by Exxon' ? Huh???

How about some of the 'parents' of the popular tennis companies. IIRC, Sara Lee owned Head Sportswear for a time. AMF owned Head. PepsiCo owned Wilson.

Remember the very popular "Boasters" shirts and shorts (later shortened to 'Boast') with the 'pot leaf'? (Of course, it was a Japanese Maple leaf but we all knew what it looked like). I'll bet every college team in the Southeast US wore that line at some point in the 70s-80s.

jimanuel12
01-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Our original gauze tape came from Johnson and Johnson, I believe. Green was the only color. When the tan and blue were introduced, the rumor was that the blue absorbed better...people wouldn't buy the green after that! You couldn't get the used roll started again after the heat 'melted' the end into the rest of the roll. Handles would be glued together if left touching in your bag.

How about rosin powder? Sold a lot of that. SAI(Sports Accessories Inc) had 'snooty' packaging of all accessories related to tennis and some of the best socks of the day.

Anybody remember their first REAL wristband...not just a cloth but REAL elastic for stretch. How about matching the wristband stripe with the stripe on your socks?

Remember your first warm-up/track suit? Mine was a White Stag...solid white, zippers on the legs...same one worn by the University team. Man, I thought I was somethin' !

i still have a rosin powder bag in my tennis bag, i think it has been there since 1980. i kept taking it from one bag to the other, just could not seem to throw it away.
i had forgotten about that too, until you mentioned it.

retrowagen
01-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Remember the very popular "Boasters" shirts and shorts (later shortened to 'Boast') with the 'pot leaf'? (Of course, it was a Japanese Maple leaf but we all knew what it looked like). I'll bet every college team in the Southeast US wore that line at some point in the 70s-80s.

...And the ubiquitous "Todd 1" shiny warm-up suits, which were perfect knock-offs of the ubiquitous Adidas A-15.

jimanuel12
01-27-2010, 12:34 PM
I barely nicked the 60s with my tennis ...not really knowing anything until '72 when I started working in a tennis specialty shop(unheard of back then...before that, you went to a hardware/sporting goods store for your equipment. Unless you belonged to a club...no such luck for me!)

Folks were very careful not to mix the Jack Kramer WHITE shorts with a CREAM JK shirt. We sold boxes and boxes of Bancroft panties in white, powder blue and 'gasp' yellow. The first exciting colors came from Tom Gorman/Pacific Trails...bold rugby stripes and a really attractive combo of kelly green and navy. We sold bundles of Izod pique knit shirts--extra grand patron for me, thank you. Those shirts weighed a ton when loaded with sweat...tails would hang down to your knees!

Tretorn Nylite shoes...possibly the worst yet most popular shoe of the time. We thought we would NEVER sell another pair of the Tretorn LEATHA-lite shoe when the retail price went north of $20. Never thought we would sell another Fairway grip when the cost went over TEN BUCKS installed! Tournament nylon installed for $5.95...thought we were killing ourselves when we went up to $7.95 after a few months. Only the 'lower end' natural gut would sell for under $20---Victor Superb, American Eagle seconds, etc.

The Bancroft ESC racket(epoxy-steel-compposite)...nothing but a wood frame but had an overlay of red, translucent epoxy with visible steel mesh embedded in it--as a laminate for the shoulders. UNTIL it de-laminated within a week! The original Arthur Ashe Competition racket...looked like an old battle ship when the skin began to oxidize.

Fuschia colored tennis balls. Spalding 'PROFESSIONAL' balls, white with colored seams!

Ah, the good old days!

also, don't forget about the first alumimum rackets, they vibrated so bad, i thought my arm was going to fall off, but kept playing with it anyway because it was so powerful.
i think it was a selisinger (mispelled).

jimanuel12
01-27-2010, 12:40 PM

the canvas tennis shoes
the wilson T2000, T3000

did anyone play on clay courts back in the day??
when i went to college in Georgia that was the first clay court i had ever seen. they play wonderful, a little slow but i loved to play on them.
then they tore them up and replaced them with the hard courts.
i miss my clay court, no one has them anywhere now that i know of.

coachrick
01-27-2010, 12:42 PM
i still have a rosin powder bag in my tennis bag, i think it has been there since 1980. i kept taking it from one bag to the other, just could not seem to throw it away.
i had forgotten about that too, until you mentioned it.

That's a great story! I have an unopened bag of pink gauze tape, likely from the mid-80s. I also have the SAI 'bike clip'...used to clip your racket to the front fork of your bicycle! Sounds like a horrible accident based video just waiting to happen!

Someone mentioned the 'Ball Saver' pump. How about the 'ball press', a three-compartment screw-down 'vise' that would keep the balls from going dead. Sold a bunch of those in the old days.

I try not to keep old wooden presses...have just a couple. But, I remember when the 'Zephyr' press came out. Just a metal 'X' that screwed down to keep the wood rackets from warping. You would have thought it was the greatest invention of the day by the way people bought them!

coachrick
01-27-2010, 01:01 PM
...And the ubiquitous "Todd 1" shiny warm-up suits, which were perfect knock-offs of the ubiquitous Adidas A-15.

Oh, yes...the Adidas(Beckenbauer) 'silky' warm-up suit. EVERY time a new color came out, we would have customers fighting over them.

Borg wore Adidas for a time early on and my roommate snared a pair of gold/black stripes A15 pants left behind after a practice session. Never saw another pair in that color combo.(Roomie swore he tried to return the pants to BB).

I actually sold Todd-1 as a rep for a short period---distributed by Century Sports(1984)...there were 'package' programs that had colors and sizes assorted for a 'case' discount.

coachrick
01-27-2010, 01:05 PM
did anyone play on clay courts back in the day??

There were a few homemade red clay courts in Columbia, SC back then. That was some slick stuff when it got damp!!! I didn't set foot on a 'Rubico' green synthetic clay court for quite a few years(Forest Lake CC in Columbia). We thought we were really cool then!

Wish we had more soft courts out here in Cen Tex. My knees could use a break!

coachrick
01-27-2010, 01:11 PM
also, don't forget about the first alumimum rackets, they vibrated so bad, i thought my arm was going to fall off, but kept playing with it anyway because it was so powerful.
i think it was a selisinger (mispelled).

I had a Spalding Smasher when others were trying(and I mean TRYING) to play with the T2000/T3000. The throat was riveted in place and would squeak even when brand new! I remember a pretty local college girl who played with a 'Sterling' brand of metal racket. That was one elegant pairing!

Speaking of elegant...does anyone remember 'Hampton Court' knits? They had absolutely gorgeous knit dresses, skirts, sweaters. They were seriously form-fitting for the day and looked fantastic on the right person.

SVP
01-27-2010, 02:58 PM
That's a great story! I have an unopened bag of pink gauze tape, likely from the mid-80s. I also have the SAI 'bike clip'...used to clip your racket to the front fork of your bicycle! Sounds like a horrible accident based video just waiting to happen!

Someone mentioned the 'Ball Saver' pump. How about the 'ball press', a three-compartment screw-down 'vise' that would keep the balls from going dead. Sold a bunch of those in the old days.

I try not to keep old wooden presses...have just a couple. But, I remember when the 'Zephyr' press came out. Just a metal 'X' that screwed down to keep the wood rackets from warping. You would have thought it was the greatest invention of the day by the way people bought them!

That would be me who mentioned the ball saver pump. That was on the other thread about memories of the 60s and 70s. That pump could keep the balls bouncing for months even though they were worn down to the size of racquetball balls.

SVP
01-27-2010, 03:23 PM
I had a Spalding Smasher when others were trying(and I mean TRYING) to play with the T2000/T3000. The throat was riveted in place and would squeak even when brand new! I remember a pretty local college girl who played with a 'Sterling' brand of metal racket. That was one elegant pairing!

Speaking of elegant...does anyone remember 'Hampton Court' knits? They had absolutely gorgeous knit dresses, skirts, sweaters. They were seriously form-fitting for the day and looked fantastic on the right person.

Coachrick, you and the others have such detailed memories. Mine are not so detailed. In the 70s, I remember everyone tucked their shirts into their nuthugger tennis shorts. This was supposed to show a neat and well-groomed appearance. We were slimmer back then, so it wasn't that uncomfortable. I loved the Borg Fila pinstripe shirt even though it was form fitting. Around 1975, a tennis shop employee told me that the 13 oz. racquet I was swinging wasn't all that heavy. Also around that time, my Dad gave me his Wilson racquet from the 50s, complete with racquet press and green plastic cover. He told me to practice swinging it with the press on it so I could strengthen my arm. The grip size was at least 4 5/8" size even though he was 5'4'' and 120 lbs.

khw72004
01-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Can you imagine 50 years from now, people writing on this topic and ask "you mean 2060's?"

purple-n-gold
01-28-2010, 04:52 PM

the canvas tennis shoes
the wilson T2000, T3000

Just traveled back in time....COOL. bd1967

CollegeBound
01-28-2010, 08:38 PM

Yep and I personally believe that the 1970's were the last truly great decade we've had.

My 1960's

Shoe Whitener that you applied before every match
White zinc cream splayed across your nose and cheeks
A terry towelling bucket hat to ward off the sun (still wear them - I think I'm the only one who does lol)
Pristine white t-shirts or shirts with collars
White shorts that were handed down from older brothers
Dunlop Volleys or Sandshoes - White only, thanks very much
Ballboying at White City and Kooyong
White tennis balls - I still think they look better
Homemade dirt and grass tennis courts
Idolising men like Lave, Emerson and Stolle who actually were men, not boys (tennis players then were old enough to have interesting things to say).

My 1970's

'Hang Ten' racquet covers (they only covered the head) = the height of Aussie 70's cool lol.
Moustaches - everywhere (facial hair and the 70's went hand in hand). The John Newcombe/Denis Lillee 'stach ruled.
Hair gradually creeping over ears
The introduction of coloured clothing, then patterns - the shock of it all.
Yellow tennis balls - sacrilege.
Metal racquets (steel, then aluminium) - they'd never catch on.
Courts made of asphalt
String tensions of 65lbs+ were the norm
Hating Jimmy Connors
Jealous of Bjorn Borg
In love with Evonne Goolagong
Fila tennis clothing - European chic

atatu
01-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Coachrick, you and the others have such detailed memories. Mine are not so detailed. In the 70s, I remember everyone tucked their shirts into their nuthugger tennis shorts. This was supposed to show a neat and well-groomed appearance. We were slimmer back then, so it wasn't that uncomfortable. I loved the Borg Fila pinstripe shirt even though it was form fitting. Around 1975, a tennis shop employee told me that the 13 oz. racquet I was swinging wasn't all that heavy. Also around that time, my Dad gave me his Wilson racquet from the 50s, complete with racquet press and green plastic cover. He told me to practice swinging it with the press on it so I could strengthen my arm. The grip size was at least 4 5/8" size even though he was 5'4'' and 120 lbs.

Back in the day it was a big deal to use the biggest grip you could handle, so when I was 10 years old I was swinging a head master with a 4 5/8th grip....now I use 4 3/8ths.

coachrick
01-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Back in the day it was a big deal to use the biggest grip you could handle, so when I was 10 years old I was swinging a head master with a 4 5/8th grip....now I use 4 3/8ths.

Yep, one of my favorite treats was pulling down a new Red Head Pro...4 5/8L PLUS a fresh Fairway grip= 5" grip. Dropped down to 3/4-7/8" over the playing years. Made it easy when the companies would ask what size grip I wanted. I would just say 'whatever your demos come in, whatever you have the most of'. Easy to wrap a replacement grip on top of a 3/8 or 1/2 and head for the courts. I DO have big hands but my weight would increase during the colder months and the extra 'beef' in my fingers would cause me to drop down a size during the winter.

Mind you, this was back when men were men and grips were made of leather. One strip of gauze tape just above the butt cap and off we went.

On the other hand(!), some of my rackets from the early 1900s have bare WOODEN handles that measure over 5". Now, THAT'S a grip!!!

jimanuel12
01-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Yep and I personally believe that the 1970's were the last truly great decade we've had.

My 1960's

Shoe Whitener that you applied before every match
White zinc cream splayed across your nose and cheeks
A terry towelling bucket hat to ward off the sun (still wear them - I think I'm the only one who does lol)
Pristine white t-shirts or shirts with collars
White shorts that were handed down from older brothers
Dunlop Volleys or Sandshoes - White only, thanks very much
Ballboying at White City and Kooyong
White tennis balls - I still think they look better
Homemade dirt and grass tennis courts
Idolising men like Lave, Emerson and Stolle who actually were men, not boys (tennis players then were old enough to have interesting things to say).

My 1970's

'Hang Ten' racquet covers (they only covered the head) = the height of Aussie 70's cool lol.
Moustaches - everywhere (facial hair and the 70's went hand in hand). The John Newcombe/Denis Lillee 'stach ruled.
Hair gradually creeping over ears
The introduction of coloured clothing, then patterns - the shock of it all.
Yellow tennis balls - sacrilege.
Metal racquets (steel, then aluminium) - they'd never catch on.
Courts made of asphalt
String tensions of 65lbs+ were the norm
Hating Jimmy Connors
Jealous of Bjorn Borg
In love with Evonne Goolagong
Fila tennis clothing - European chic

I remember hating Jimbo too, he was so arrogant and everyone hated that guy, loved to see him get beat.

i was in love with who else? Chris Evertt and i hated the fact that Jimbo was dating her, how could she be so stupid????
when they were guys like me around????
i remember playing in the sun until you were so sun burned you could not move for 3 days but after that, you had a great tan.
did not even think of skin cancer???
how about taking your own water jug to the courts, i had the cool pizza hut jug full with ice water. my girfriend, now my better half, would fill it up for me each time i headed to the courts.
white tennis balls, then colored ones, man those things will never catch on!!!

I remember having to wait 2 hours to get on the courts!!!
signs posted at the courts "Please keep your playing time to 1 set only"

oh, those were the high times for tennis - everyone - i mean everyone played back then.

dataseviltwin
02-01-2010, 06:00 AM
Shoe Goo
Tericloth hats http://www.cushees.com/id18.html
Stan Smith auto shoes. Gave way to Rod Laver Auto in the 80's
3 stripes... gotta have the 3 stripes...

Snipergene
02-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Born in the 60's and started playing in the 70's. Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Remember when Jimmy Connors sang a song on the Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell show back in 1975?

coachrick
02-01-2010, 07:55 AM
OK, anyone remember Tred2 ? You could send in your worn out shoes and they would re-sole them and 'renew' the white leather finish, new laces also. K-Swiss would resole their 1000 series shoes as well.

How about Bata Bullets? The 'moon shoe' was the first poly sole shoe we carried. So slick you could bust your behind just walking to the car! That was the reason they held up so well....NO traction at all!!! They just slid across the court surface! :)

Snipergene
02-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Just remembered this one. I used to get tennis shoes from the Nike Westwood (about a mile south of UCLA) store in 1975. It was a little (about 400 sq. ft.) shop on Westwood Blvd. Back then, Nike's were not yet available at every sporting good store.

jimanuel12
02-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Just remembered this one. I used to get tennis shoes from the Nike Westwood (about a mile south of UCLA) store in 1975. It was a little (about 400 sq. ft.) shop on Westwood Blvd. Back then, Nike's were not yet available at every sporting good store.

i remember my neighbor had made his back yard into a make shift tennis court, it was sooooo cool to play on grass!!!

Yaz
02-02-2010, 12:39 PM

great thread...Todd 1 - wow that brings back some memories. They copied some of the 2-tone Borg/Fila warm-ups also...I was too poor to afford the real thing so I got the Todd 1s instead...lol. Wish I still had those

SVP
02-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Born in the 60's and started playing in the 70's. Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Remember when Jimmy Connors sang a song on the Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell show back in 1975?

"Hey man" (commonly used phrase of the 70s), better provide some kind of proof of this, citation to youtube or whatever.

SVP
02-07-2010, 06:24 PM

"Hey man" (commonly used phrase of the 70s), better provide some kind of proof of this eclectic pairing, citation to youtube or whatever.

SVP
02-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Shoe Goo
Tericloth hats http://www.cushees.com/id18.html
Stan Smith auto shoes. Gave way to Rod Laver Auto in the 80's
3 stripes... gotta have the 3 stripes...

Forgot about that oldie but goodie- shoe goo! I couldn't afford that. I wrapped good ol' duct tape around the front of my shoe to keep it from flapping open.

Stan Smith shoes were the bomb. Elegant in their simplicity. White with green trim. Too bad they were not durable.

vwfye
02-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I use to put shoe goo on pieces of old tennis ball to keep my shoes together in the toe area. very sandy hard courts and soles were not the best of friends. I could get an extra week out of my shoes that way!

jimanuel12
02-08-2010, 09:17 AM
I use to put shoe goo on pieces of old tennis ball to keep my shoes together in the toe area. very sandy hard courts and soles were not the best of friends. I could get an extra week out of my shoes that way!

i remember wearing holes in the toes of my canvas tennis shoes, i think i paid maybe $4.00 a pair for them, so i would go through 2 or 3 pairs a season.

hey man, those were the days!!!!

Snipergene
02-08-2010, 12:05 PM
"Hey man" (commonly used phrase of the 70s), better provide some kind of proof of this, citation to youtube or whatever.

No video of him singing but here's proof that he was on the show and that he sang "Girl, You Turn Me On".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0694431/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1648086/

vwfye
02-08-2010, 01:12 PM
i remember wearing holes in the toes of my canvas tennis shoes, i think i paid maybe $4.00 a pair for them, so i would go through 2 or 3 pairs a season.

hey man, those were the days!!!!

i was going through a pair a week before discovering this trick.

dataseviltwin
02-09-2010, 06:24 AM
That would be me who mentioned the ball saver pump. That was on the other thread about memories of the 60s and 70s. That pump could keep the balls bouncing for months even though they were worn down to the size of racquetball balls.

Presureless... things felt like a baseball. Later... Dunlop had presureless balls we played with in Europe on the dirt - boxes of 4 (made so much more sense than 3-ball cans...). Guar-on-tee the reason they weren't released stateside was the 3-ball can market. Why put balls out that last weeks when those crazy Americans are opening a new can every time they play...?

Snipergene
02-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Presureless... things felt like a baseball. Later... Dunlop had presureless balls we played with in Europe on the dirt - boxes of 4 (made so much more sense than 3-ball cans...). Guar-on-tee the reason they weren't released stateside was the 3-ball can market. Why put balls out that last weeks when those crazy Americans are opening a new can every time they play...?

We had Tretorn pressureless balls here in the US.

SVP
02-18-2010, 01:11 AM
No video of him singing but here's proof that he was on the show and that he sang "Girl, You Turn Me On".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0694431/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1648086/

I can't believe Jimbo was on SNL. He's about as funny as a root canal.

jimanuel12
02-18-2010, 07:46 AM

i liked Jimbo when he got older and wiser maybe.
he was such an *****hole when he was young. i always rooted against him when he played, i wanted someone, anyone to beat his ***** so bad.
but when he made it to the semi's at the US Open, i think it was 93, everyone was rooting for the old guy, even me.
he seems to have mellowed out allot in his old age, good for him.

SVP
02-21-2010, 06:00 PM
i liked Jimbo when he got older and wiser maybe.
he was such an *****hole when he was young. i always rooted against him when he played, i wanted someone, anyone to beat his ***** so bad.
but when he made it to the semi's at the US Open, i think it was 93, everyone was rooting for the old guy, even me.
he seems to have mellowed out allot in his old age, good for him.

We all rooted for him during his US Open run (I think it was 91?). He was the underdog and the main thing keeping him going was his indomitable competitive spirit.

This more recent kinder and gentler version of Jimbo is weird to me. It seems like he's trying to change his image for commercial purposes, but I know, so what? Doesn't everybody? Jimbo's softer image doesn't ring true to me. And lo and behold, Jimbo didn't disappoint me. In 2007 or 2008, he got into some kind of verbal altercation with a fan at a UC Santa Barbara basketball game, which necessitated the local cops arresting him for I believe disorderly conduct or a related charge. As far as I can determine, no formal charges were ever filed against him, so good for him. Probably some testosterone-laden punk wanting to take on a middle-aged male, didn't matter that it was the Jimbo. But it says something to me that the Jimbo who is approaching his 60s can still get riled up enough to have the cops called on him. Has he really mellowed? With all the drunken college students in Santa Barbara (even the UC is known as a party school), it still takes something for the cops to arrest some middle-aged dude, especially if he is a tennis legend.

I guess all in all, he's done pretty well for an iconic athlete. He's still married to his wife of 20+ years. She was a Playboy centerfold; who could've predicted it would last so long?

jswinf
02-21-2010, 07:54 PM
I remember watching Billie Jean King kick old Bobby Riggs butt in the big made-for-TV challenge match. Embarrassing.

Somebody beat me to white tennis balls but it took 24 posts or so, I was surprised.

I was watching the 1975 Wimbledon men's final and getting excited about Ashe beating up on Connors when the TV reception went out in the metropolis of Kingman, AZ.

Seemed like the only broadcaster working tennis was Bud Collins forever. The guy's got a lot in common with Dick Clark that way, except for being physically attractive and well-dressed.

I remember feeling pretty snobbish about oversized rackets--"real men wouldn't use such a thing." Got over it eventually, at least as far as mid-sized.

Snipergene
02-22-2010, 07:04 AM
It wasn't SNL as we know it today. It was a variety show hosted by Howard Cosell. I remember seeing it live and thinking you should never wear a blue shirt if you sweat a lot under the pits. :lol:

jimanuel12
02-22-2010, 08:26 AM
I remember watching Billie Jean King kick old Bobby Riggs butt in the big made-for-TV challenge match. Embarrassing.

Somebody beat me to white tennis balls but it took 24 posts or so, I was surprised.

I was watching the 1975 Wimbledon men's final and getting excited about Ashe beating up on Connors when the TV reception went out in the metropolis of Kingman, AZ.

Seemed like the only broadcaster working tennis was Bud Collins forever. The guy's got a lot in common with Dick Clark that way, except for being physically attractive and well-dressed.

I remember feeling pretty snobbish about oversized rackets--"real men wouldn't use such a thing." Got over it eventually, at least as far as mid-sized.

at the time i was rooting for billie jean, but now that i look back, she was at the top of her game, he was in his 50's or so, it was not much of a competition when you look at it that way.
bobby did not practice, did not take her seriously and he lost.
i wonder what would have happened if he had really gotten into shape????
well, we will never know, but for his time, he was a great tennis player.
now that i am older, i can relate to him more i guess.

Rabbit
02-22-2010, 09:46 AM

I still do the Rough/Smooth thing. I got accused of cheating on the spin by a 20-something year old who just couldn't understand the concept. His partner was my age (50+) and tried to splain it to him, but it did no good. I finally looked at him and told him to decide if he wanted to serve or not. :)

The grip gauze you used to buy was some quirky stuff. When you first put it on, it didn't do much good, the paint had to wear off (on your hand) and then for a breif time it worked great until it wore out.

jimanuel12
02-22-2010, 11:20 AM
I still do the Rough/Smooth thing. I got accused of cheating on the spin by a 20-something year old who just couldn't understand the concept. His partner was my age (50+) and tried to splain it to him, but it did no good. I finally looked at him and told him to decide if he wanted to serve or not. :)

The grip gauze you used to buy was some quirky stuff. When you first put it on, it didn't do much good, the paint had to wear off (on your hand) and then for a breif time it worked great until it wore out.

i think i still have some of the gauze in my tennis bag, it has been there since 1980.

schu47
02-22-2010, 11:40 AM
i think i still have some of the gauze in my tennis bag, it has been there since 1980.

You can still get it. Unique, the company that makes Tourna-Grip, also makes gauze grip tape -- it comes in black, blue and green. I got some, for old times' sake, because I used to use the blue stuff all the time on my old Wilson Sting. Now I can't figure out why I liked it. It's got a rough feel, gets sticky in the heat, and it becomes unraveled so that little strings hang off the grip. On the plus side, it only costs $1.99 a roll, so you can get some and let it fuse to itself in your tennis bag for cheap.

Nuke
02-22-2010, 12:21 PM
It wasn't SNL as we know it today. It was a variety show hosted by Howard Cosell. I remember seeing it live and thinking you should never wear a blue shirt if you sweat a lot under the pits. :lol:

Yeah, the short-lived Saturday Night Live With Howard Cosell debuted the same year as NBC's SNL. In a book I read about the early days of SNL, they were seriously thinking of callling the show Saturday Night Live WITHOUT Howard Cosell.

kiki
02-22-2010, 02:36 PM

the canvas tennis shoes
the wilson T2000, T3000

Are you feeling nosthalgic:

Here are a couple more of tearsˇˇ snif snif:

Rod Laver´s bachand approach shot

Ken Rosewall´s backhand sound ( you needn´t to watch, just hear)

Nastase´s passing shot ( after shaking the umbrella'')

Laver vs Rosewall at WCT Finals 1972

Newc´s great recoveries

Jimbo vs Bjorn Forest Hills´76 final ( .. and Wimbly 1977,1981)

Mc vs Borg tie break ( yesˇˇ they played with wooden rackets)

Mc Enroe vs Connors at Wimbledn 1982 ( ˇˇ just one more, just one moreˇˇ)

That was NOT just tennis... that was something else, mate

Virginia
02-22-2010, 03:54 PM
at the time i was rooting for billie jean, but now that i look back, she was at the top of her game, he was in his 50's or so, it was not much of a competition when you look at it that way.
bobby did not practice, did not take her seriously and he lost.
i wonder what would have happened if he had really gotten into shape????
well, we will never know, but for his time, he was a great tennis player.
now that i am older, i can relate to him more i guess.
The story goes that Bobby, being a gambler, bet heavily on King winning - he did pretty nicely out of that!

Don't Let It Bounce
02-22-2010, 04:30 PM
I remember tennis being such a popular sport that my hometown of 7000 or so had several places I could play, and I could go to one and find people to play against all day long. I also remember tennis results being on the front page of the sports section. :(

jimanuel12
02-23-2010, 10:12 AM
I remember tennis being such a popular sport that my hometown of 7000 or so had several places I could play, and I could go to one and find people to play against all day long. I also remember tennis results being on the front page of the sports section. :(

i remember pick up games at the courts, tennis was SO popular in the 1970's, i also remember having to wait for at least an hour to play.
signs at the courts stating "please limit your playing time to one set"
man those WERE the days.
could even pick up girls at the courts too, used to play doubles allot back then and mixed doubles were fun.

chollyred
02-24-2010, 06:20 AM
In the small town I'm from, tennis was very popular (still is), but there were no leagues back then. The nearest leagues were 30 miles away, so we played lots and lots of pickup games. There were groups that would always meet at certain times of the week and you could almost always work yourself into a game.

As I got older and found a regular doubles partner, we'd travel around to different apartment complexes and challenge whoever we could find to play. I was usually on the courts 4-5 nights a week and 4-5 hours on those nights.

Today, there are several leagues, but many of the old timers still gather at certain times and play amongst themselves. Occasionally when I can get off work, I'll join some of the other seniors for round robin play. Nobody sits out longer than 30 minutes and there are often 25-30 guys playing. I'm still playing tennis with some of the guys I played with over 30 years ago!

jimanuel12
02-24-2010, 06:39 AM
In the small town I'm from, tennis was very popular (still is), but there were no leagues back then. The nearest leagues were 30 miles away, so we played lots and lots of pickup games. There were groups that would always meet at certain times of the week and you could almost always work yourself into a game.

As I got older and found a regular doubles partner, we'd travel around to different apartment complexes and challenge whoever we could find to play. I was usually on the courts 4-5 nights a week and 4-5 hours on those nights.

Today, there are several leagues, but many of the old timers still gather at certain times and play amongst themselves. Occasionally when I can get off work, I'll join some of the other seniors for round robin play. Nobody sits out longer than 30 minutes and there are often 25-30 guys playing. I'm still playing tennis with some of the guys I played with over 30 years ago!

way to go, there man.
i had a long lay off about 10 years when i traveled all the time.
i started back about 5 years ago and still love to play.
tennis is the only sport i have continued to play over the years.
i moved around allot when i was young but always could find someone who loved to play as much as i did.
i live in a small town also and except when the HS tennis team is practicing, you can get a court just about anytime you want.
i have found some other tennis buddies here at work who love to play as well.
tennis is a great game, i hope i can play until i am at least 100!!!!

chollyred
02-24-2010, 03:38 PM
way to go, there man.
i had a long lay off about 10 years when i traveled all the time.
i started back about 5 years ago and still love to play.
tennis is the only sport i have continued to play over the years.
i moved around allot when i was young but always could find someone who loved to play as much as i did.
i live in a small town also and except when the HS tennis team is practicing, you can get a court just about anytime you want.
i have found some other tennis buddies here at work who love to play as well.
tennis is a great game, i hope i can play until i am at least 100!!!!

Yeah, we have several super-seniors. One guy out there at least 3 days a week is 84! No power left, and can barely move, but if he gets to it, he'll kill you with accuracy. The last time I was out, I played for 3 hours straight. I know he played at least 2 hours straight.

I just hope I can live that long! Tennis would be a bonus.

Ripper014
02-24-2010, 03:55 PM
i remember pick up games at the courts, tennis was SO popular in the 1970's, i also remember having to wait for at least an hour to play.
signs at the courts stating "please limit your playing time to one set"
man those WERE the days.
could even pick up girls at the courts too, used to play doubles allot back then and mixed doubles were fun.

Ya I remember the late 70's and early 80's when you would have to wait 2 groups deep to get on public courts. Roughly 90 minutes between court times... glad those days are over.