PDA

View Full Version : Another tear of gastroc (calf)

baseliner
01-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Must be half a dozen times through the years. Other than RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation) any suggestions to get back in the game? Any thoughts on diet specific changes to make myself supple and resistant to tears? I am 57 years old and played matches on consecutive days. used NSAID and wore warm ups. Now icing , taking aleeve and wearing compression sleeve on calf. Doctor has no further suggestions.

mike53
01-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Same problem here. I have started doing eccentric eccentric calf contractions and also using a foam roller. Seems to be helping for now, but who knows. I also wear a compression sleeve.

princemidplus
01-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Same problem here. I have started doing eccentric eccentric calf contractions and also using a foam roller. Seems to be helping for now, but who knows. I also wear a compression sleeve.

sounds like you were given the best advice. initially you should stay away from too much stretching and focus on strengthening the calf muscles. target both gastroc and soleus muscles in your exercises.

El Diablo
01-27-2010, 08:51 AM
If you're prone to tears, why are you using NSAIDs? Inflammation is part of the body's healing process, which you may be hindering.

baseliner
01-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Don't generally use NSAID's but had to play matches 8 hours apart. I know, I know. I tried to stretch and warm up before the 2nd match. Used the ibuprofen to avoid swelling, etc.

mike53
01-27-2010, 11:48 AM
I would be real careful about stretching anything that is considered a tear. Light exercise should help you warm up.