PDA

View Full Version : Tennis club or league in NYC

wangs78
01-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Can anyone recommend some good tennis clubs or leagues in New York City (Manhattan)? I'm trying to get back into tennis but not sure where to start looking. Thanks.

penang
01-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Do you play Men's or Women's side or Mixed?
What level are you now, not the previous ones.
Tennis Clubs in the city are not many but mostly are for Millionaires or Billion dollars man and woman.

The easiest way to search for a team is go to Metrotennis. Look for some weak team and ask to join in. Then start from there. By Spring, when your game improved you might get invited to play for more advance team.

Good luck.

wangs78
01-27-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm a guy and don't really care if I'm playing with men or women or both so long as I improve. Yeah it is pretty expensive, and I'm not a millionaire but I can afford it if I skip lunch everyday. Thanks.

j/k ;)

darkblue
01-28-2010, 11:06 AM
http://www.suttoneasttennis.com/pages/index.cfm?siteid=9370

it's pretty convenient if you work in midtown. they have tournaments once a month as well

kendall22
01-28-2010, 07:42 PM
tennisnewyork.com- small group that puts people together each season

tennisnyc.com - large group, seems somewhat cultish on the web site, IMHO.

snowpuppy
01-29-2010, 11:46 AM
If you don't want to fork over an arm and a leg you'll most likely have to travel to queens and brooklyn to play. The rates there are more reasonable. If you are looking for competition then just join a USTA league.

Sakkijarvi
01-29-2010, 01:13 PM
tennisnewyork.com- small group that puts people together each season

tennisnyc.com - large group, seems somewhat cultish on the web site, IMHO.

I was thinking of joining but I am still an amateur. They are "well-educated professionals" lucky duckies!

JoelDali
01-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Deleted....

J-Mac
01-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Might check out the TennisTour leagues

I know they have leagues is most of the major cities. They should have one in New York. It's also basically free unless it's a huge league. It's pretty cool. Everyone starts out with points and every time you play you earn ranking points.

http://www.tennistour.org

GZim
02-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Does anyone know if you can setup a regular game in Central Park? I would really like to have a morning game mid-week this spring.

Thx

JoelDali
02-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Does anyone know if you can setup a regular game in Central Park? I would really like to have a morning game mid-week this spring.

Thx

When I lived near there a few years ago there was a huge bulletin board near the spectator seats with names and phone numbers.

Go there come March and you'll be able to find tons of players.

I heard they're putting up a bubble in 2011.

JoelDali
02-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Might check out the TennisTour leagues

I know they have leagues is most of the major cities. They should have one in New York. It's also basically free unless it's a huge league. It's pretty cool. Everyone starts out with points and every time you play you earn ranking points.

http://www.tennistour.org

Wow what an utterly buggy POS.

I tried to sign up and got all sorts of fun errors.

Sounds very cool but good luck trying to sign up.

EKnee08
02-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Can anyone recommend some good tennis clubs or leagues in New York City (Manhattan)? I'm trying to get back into tennis but not sure where to start looking. Thanks.

A few years ago, before moving to long island, I played in a pretty good men's league at Roosevelt Island Racquet Club (most players were at 4.0 or better). You did not have to be a member of the club to play. Nice indoor clay courts. You can take the subway or tram on 2nd ave and something like 60th street to get there. I never did this since I drove from work.- I reverse commuted.

Sporttime on Randall's probably has leagues but you have to pay a monthly membership fee as well as league cost if its anythinbg like their Long Island clubs.

Also look at USTA leagues.

GZim
02-01-2010, 02:39 PM
A few years ago, before moving to long island, I played in a pretty good men's league at Roosevelt Island Racquet Club (most players were at 4.0 or better). You did not have to be a member of the club to play. Nice indoor clay courts. You can take the subway or tram on 2nd ave and something like 60th street to get there. I never did this since I drove from work.- I reverse commuted.

I play at Roosevelt often. I take their 4.0 drill and will start in their ASL (advanced singles league). thanks

kelawai
02-01-2010, 08:28 PM

Thx

There is a bulletin board across the pro shop. From beginners to advance player. Or check out at craigslist.

wangs78
02-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Thank, everyone. Very helpful. Will let you guys know how it goes.

EZRA
02-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Go to http://www.metrotennis.com/ .. maybe you can join a USTA league.

It's really a bit costly during the winter. When it warms up a bit, just get a tennis permit and play in the parks.

alan_kt_wong
02-04-2010, 05:37 PM
The Riverside Clay Tennis Association sponsors ladders in the Upper West Side.

http://www.rcta.info/Ladders.cfm