PDA

View Full Version : TournaGrip over a Leather Grip?

dmcb101
01-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Hello fellow TW junkies. I have a question for all of you who use the Original TournaGrip over a leather grip. I play with the Wilson K Blade Tour which has a leather grip and the other day I ordered some TournaGrips because a friend said I might benefit due to my excessive sweating. I put it on and played with it yesterday and noticed that my hand was kind of hurting and they showed signs of blistering. I normally use the Wilson Pro Overgrip and have not had any issues with my hands hurting. I was wondering if it is just something I need to get used to or will I not get used to it. I love the absorbing factor that TournaGrip provides, but I think it may be much thinner than what I am used to. Any ideas or suggestions from Leather grip players using TournaGrip?

chancep2120
01-27-2010, 08:42 AM
yeah this happened to me before. it might be that you're using too small of a grip size or you haven't worked calluses on your hand yet. it's kinda a mystery though.

FloridaAG
01-27-2010, 08:46 AM
It is a classic combo - generally there is less cushioning than other grips and many (including me) prefer the feel and touch - one option is to try a second layer of tourna - which I use on my frames as I had always used 4 1/2 grips and my current frames are 4 3/8 - I have leather and 2 tournas and it works perfectly

Jonny S&V
01-27-2010, 08:50 AM
It is a classic combo - generally there is less cushioning than other grips and many (including me) prefer the feel and touch - one option is to try a second layer of tourna - which I use on my frames as I had always used 4 1/2 grips and my current frames are 4 3/8 - I have leather and 2 tournas and it works perfectly

I second this, and if you don't want to build the grip up too much (also if you want it softer), try doing leather grip, Wilson Pro, and then Tournagrip. Currently what I'm doing, and it works out very well.

dmcb101
01-27-2010, 11:37 AM
yeah this is kinda what i was thinking of doing with the 2 layers. I think that because I have always played with a synthetic cushy grip it feels a little harsh to me. this may sound insane, but do you know of anyone who has completely taken off the original grip and just layered a bunch of over grips? I have this old racquet given to me by my grandmother and it has a 4 grip size. i use a 4 1/2 so i just put like 3 overgrips on it and it is up to my correct size. I like the soft feel of all the overgrips so i am wondering if i just take off the original grip on my three K Blade Tours and build it up to the correct size with overgrips if it will change my racquets balance. I know that leather grips are generally heavy, but i wonder if like 3 overgrips would equal the weight of the wilson leather grip? what do you all think?

SirGounder
01-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Only one way to find out right? Just try it out. I've tried it with 2 overgrips and didn't care for it.

As for the tournagrip over leather, try wrapping it less tightly or overlapping more if it is too thin.

dmcb101
01-27-2010, 12:11 PM
yeah, I guess I will just have to try it i guess. i guess if worst comes to worse i will just have to add some lead to the handle to get my desired balance back if the overgrips do not equal the leather grips. i guess ill let ya'll know. please feel free to comment though, id still like to get everyones two cents.

marsh
01-27-2010, 12:31 PM
I think the TournaTac provides great absorbtion also. You might give this a try. It has worked very well for me.