PDA

View Full Version : My First Double (Advice Needed!!)

Tina
01-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi All,

I will have my first match (a mixed double) at 2:30 pm tomorrow. My opponents are newbies as well. I am so thrilled about this. Any suggestions?

-Tina

Topaz
01-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Have fun!!!

:)

Watch the ball. Move your feet.

HAVE FUN!

And good luck!

I remember, during my first ever league match, I was so happy to be playing, I was giggling through the whole darn thing...lost 2 and 2 but didn't really care much!

Ripper014
01-27-2010, 01:58 PM
As Topaz says... have FUN!!! Is the number one thing to remember...

Stay on the ball as long as you can, prepare early and moving your feet are all important. But having fun is the biggest thing.

Carlito
01-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Hit at the girl when ever you can. Or do you think thats cheap?

sphinx780
01-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Topaz nailed it...at any level, just have fun and enjoy every second you are on the court instead of being anywhere else.

Tina
01-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all input. I will scream out loud and jump up/down to hit the ball at the tennis court. Have a sweet dream. -Tina

Cindysphinx
01-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Oooh, what fun!!!

The ball is coming to you, always. Be on your toes and be shocked when the ball is sent to your partner instead.

MissJennieB
01-28-2010, 11:21 AM
The ball is almost always going to go towards the weaker player, so whomever it is will need to be constantly on his/her toes. Men tend to poach more as well, so angle your return as much as possible. And don't be afraid to go at them at the net :)

Last but not least, have a great time! I love mixed dubs- it's my favorite!

Tina
01-28-2010, 05:07 PM
I am so tired after today's game. Indeed, I had a great fun. I need to well-prepared for my next game. Stay tuned ^_^.

Cindysphinx
01-28-2010, 07:12 PM
I am so tired after today's game. Indeed, I had a great fun. I need to well-prepared for my next game. Stay tuned ^_^.

What? That's it? That's all you're gonna say? :)

Come on. Out with it. What happened?

MrCLEAN
01-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Don't leave us hanging....what happened?

Edward DFW
01-28-2010, 07:55 PM
stay loose, watch the ball until you make contact, get ready right after you hit and start moving as soon as you see the racquet coming off the opponents strings... stay calm, you have plenty of time to move to the ball and hit it

Tina
01-28-2010, 08:19 PM
I have used my insufficient skills for this game. These skills includes two handed backhand, one/two handed forehead, top spin serve, and volley. Most of the time, the ball hit my racket instead of sweetspot but did go over the net. I focused on the ball a lot. We lost the game.

mlktennis
01-29-2010, 09:48 AM
I also played poorly on my first usta game. We won but not b/c of my play. I was so nervous, I tried to have fun but the situation got to me- teammates, everyone very serious, the 'we need to make the playoffs speech by the captain, etc.

Now, 2 years later I get what everyone has been saying, -have fun
-it's just a game
-relax and play

Tina
01-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Can anyone tell me what *Racquet comes pre-strung* is? Thanks.

MrCLEAN
01-30-2010, 08:38 PM
It means when you buy the racket, it's already strung up. Most frames sold here don't have strings, you have to buy them separately and get it strung up at your tennis facility.

Tina
01-31-2010, 02:51 AM
It means when you buy the racket, it's already strung up. Most frames sold here don't have strings, you have to buy them separately and get it strung up at your tennis facility.

I see. Thanks for Info.

Big_Dangerous
02-01-2010, 06:05 AM
I have used my insufficient skills for this game. These skills includes two handed backhand, one/two handed forehead, top spin serve, and volley. Most of the time, the ball hit my racket instead of sweetspot but did go over the net. I focused on the ball a lot. We lost the game.

You use a two handed forehand really? Wow not many players use that.

I'm not two handed player either which way, don't like the feel of it.

Tina
02-01-2010, 07:35 AM
You use a two handed forehand really? Wow not many players use that.

I'm not two handed player either which way, don't like the feel of it.

I had a great fun!!! I am not sure I am a good two handed player.