PDA

View Full Version : We've seen pentagonal, octagonal, hexagonal and heptagonal strings...

tennisINmyBLOOD
01-27-2010, 03:04 PM
So why not rectangular or triangular strings? I mean if you a string can be shaped as an octagon, hexagon, heptagon, or heptagon, why can't a string be triangular or rectangular? Would there be any problem stringing or playing such a string?

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
01-27-2010, 03:45 PM
the points would be too sharp compared to hexagonal, and the string would breaktoo quickly.

tennisINmyBLOOD
01-27-2010, 03:54 PM
the points would be too sharp compared to hexagonal, and the string would breaktoo quickly.

I could see triangular string breaking quickly... what about rectangular?

Sublime
01-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Isospeed pyramid

dextor
01-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Eventually they're gonna make a string with so many sides it's gonna be round

wrxtotoro
01-27-2010, 04:45 PM
I thought Gosen make a rectangular string but they sell it only in Japan. Sorta rectangular anyway...

http://www.gosen.jp/racket/pickup/list28.html#pm5

JT_2eighty
01-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Eventually they're gonna make a string with so many sides it's gonna be round

Like the octagon strings are already.

Seriously, the way people eat up this "more bite with extra edges" garbage makes me laugh every time. The marketing folks at these string companies are just laughing their way to their banks on this hype as well.

Honestly, just take a look at the packaging on PHT and then actually look at the string itself. The picture on the package is complete BS, right up there with some of the ridiculous racquet technologies. I've probably said too much and will be hunted down by the marketing lackeys at certain string companies, but the info is out there for those with the patience and curiosity for reality versus myth. There's a site where someone's cut actual strings and then taken high res cross section photos of the strings and especially when it comes to the octagon strings, they might as well just be round.

Bottom line: edged/spiky strings do not impart more spin than their smooth counter-parts. It's all placebo baby.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
01-27-2010, 05:06 PM
^^^^^
depends on the string. if its PHT, not that much spin, but alu power rough does give more spin. not that much more though.

To op, triangle and squeare are basically the same because they both bave really sharp jagged edges on specific points rather than all around the string. Also, the string would be different gauges in certain parts of the string, the diagonal vs the length, so inconsistent gauges. Octagon is more round, so lesss inconsistency in gauges