PDA

View Full Version : Durable multifilament?

iMpro
01-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Im looking for a durable multi to go in crosses with PHT, or the new black babolat poly that comes out soon :). I usually like a stiffer feel, but my current string (isospeed professional) went dead after about a week and a half. They are at about 30 lbs. right now, and im looking for something that is durable, maintains tension, without sacrificing too much control. Any advice or suggestions would be very helpful, thanks.

tennisINmyBLOOD
01-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Head Rip Control is what you're looking for. It's a multifilament with the characteristics of a poly (just A LOT softer... soft as your average multi). High durability, great control (if you buy the 16 gauge... 17 had a little too much pop for me) and good spin. Pretty much does everything a poly does except for kill your arm. You can string it pretty high and still maintain a good level of comfort. Very crisp string, I'd recommend the 16g over 17g for control's sake. BTW, I think that Head Rip Control is stiffer than Isospeed Professional. Professional is a very very soft multi... Rip Control is definitely crisper and stiffer than your current cross string.

I like Tecnifibre Multifeel also. Works great in my hybrid of MSV Focus Hex mains and Multifeel crosses. Have yet to determine it's durablility, but I've heard from others that it is quite durable for a multi. It's very crisp and a bit stiffer than Isospeed Pro. I believe it is softer than Head Rip Control, however.

KenC
01-27-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm not so sure you need a durable multi in a hybrid with PHT, as the PHT will go dead long before a quality multi breaks or even loses its playability. I would suggest using an inexpensive string like PS Maxim Touch and cut both out as soon as the poly loses playability.

Better yet, do your arm a favor, as hinted above, and just do a full bed of Rip Control or MultiFeel.

iMpro
01-28-2010, 10:15 PM
PHT will go dead long before a quality multi breaks or even loses its playability.

Is that true for all polys? or just PHT

jim e
01-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Maxim touch is about the least durable multi out there, at least the 17g. is.Never used the 16g. but the 17 does not last long at all.

kiteboard
01-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Iso speed control, 16g. Top control string.

KenC
01-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Is that true for all polys? or just PHT

I'm not sure about all the new polys coming out, and the hybrid poly/multis could be different. Pro Hurricane had a reputation for going dead rather quickly.

As for Maxim Touch breaking quickly, I still don't think it would break in crosses before PHT mains go dead. If Maxim Touch does break before there are other economical alternatives.

DavidGarcia
01-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Second vote for Head Rip Control. You cant really go wrong with that string.

mikeler
01-29-2010, 06:13 AM
Maxim touch is about the least durable multi out there, at least the 17g. is.Never used the 16g. but the 17 does not last long at all.

In my experience, any cross string that is rough tends to get eaten alive by poly mains.

jim e
01-29-2010, 06:42 AM
In my experience, any cross string that is rough tends to get eaten alive by poly mains.

Well the OP asked for a durable multifilament, and over time I realised that the Maxim Touch 17g. is far from considered durable, even an all Maxim Touch 17g. job does not last long.Its not just me,as it's my clients experiences as well with this string.Granted for the price its a decent cheap multi. but the 17g.cannot be considered durable.

bad_call
01-29-2010, 07:10 AM
better durability than Rip Control, Multifeel or Isospeed and with great control is Gosen Speed 16. have used that one for string breakers and it lasts.

mikeler
01-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Well the OP asked for a durable multifilament, and over time I realised that the Maxim Touch 17g. is far from considered durable, even an all Maxim Touch 17g. job does not last long.Its not just me,as it's my clients experiences as well with this string.Granted for the price its a decent cheap multi. but the 17g.cannot be considered durable.

I almost did not buy this string because it was not considered durable. When I played with an oversize stiff Prince racket and 16g synthetic gut, I would be lucky to make it past 6 sets. Now that I'm using the PSTs, the maxim touch 17 full job is lasting me about 8 sets. I definitely was not expecting that going from a 16x19 to a 16x20 stick with a slightly smaller head.

Since the Maxim Touch does have a rough texture, I imagine a poly would just chew it up very quickly. So I'm agreeing with you on this one Jim. How long is a full job typically lasting for your clients? Just curious.

jim e
01-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Since the Maxim Touch does have a rough texture, I imagine a poly would just chew it up very quickly. So I'm agreeing with you on this one Jim. How long is a full job typically lasting for your clients? Just curious.

This was a while back, as I had a # of complaints of the durability of the MT 17g.and I then went to xcell for those hitters, and the issue is resolved, but at a price difference as well as the xcell is more expensive. I really have not used the MT in a while now just because of that issue.

mikeler
01-29-2010, 07:47 AM
This was a while back, as I had a # of complaints of the durability of the MT 17g.and I then went to xcell for those hitters, and the issue is resolved, but at a price difference as well as the xcell is more expensive. I really have not used the MT in a while now just because of that issue.

OK, I'll have to try out the Xcell when I finish my MT. Thahks Jim.

edman9898
01-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Definitely try the Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament in 16 gauge. I used it for a good month before it broke on me (switching between 2 racquets). Normally, I break strings every 2 to 3 weeks. Great tension maintenance, does not move, and does not fray up until it breaks. Has a protective coating on the outside. I am going to try Multifeel, but if that doesn't work out PSG Multifilament is my new string.

LafayetteHitter
01-29-2010, 08:04 PM
I wish Pacific Futura would be available from TW as it is a superb Multi that I found very durable.