PDA

View Full Version : Luxilon ALU to Gut

Fletch
01-28-2010, 06:37 AM
I would like to give gut a try. I use Luxilon strung up pretty tight, around 67 lbs. I use a Pure Drive + 100. I have some Tonic and not sure what to string it at. I do like a stiff string bed, but not sure where to string this without the balls flying all over the place. Looking for spin, and a little softer on the arm. Every time I string up Lux in the low 60's it doesn't take long for me not to like it, just too loose.
What should I do?
Full Tonic? What tension?
Hybrid? What tension, what string in the main and cross?
Any suggestion would be appreciated,
Thanks!
Fletch

Standupnfall
01-28-2010, 07:47 AM
What machine do you string with?

Fletch
01-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Gamma progression ES table top.

JT_2eighty
01-28-2010, 09:27 AM
It's going to be a big difference to what you are used to, especially since you string your poly so high. That said, it's still worth a try because gut is the best for your arm. String it at the highest tension it recommends, which I think will be 66-70? I've never used Tonic so I'm not sure about it's max tension, but I know VS can be strung as high as 75, but wouldn't want you to risk snapping it or there goes your $32.

Do a search on here for some threads about stringing gut, there are some good ones with good advice. Like this one helped me and I'm a newer dropweight stringer and have had no issues stringing up full gut:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3875015
Look at post #5 and down. Good luck!

Fletch
01-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Any suggestions on tension? Or set up??

alidisperanza
01-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Try stringing up half and half first. Many of us dedicated poly users aren't too fond of a full bed of gut... and I can assure you it will play radically different from lux at 67. String your mains as usual and String up tonic in the crosses at the same tension, maybe a few lbs higher.

JT_2eighty
01-28-2010, 12:39 PM
I hate to be a pain, but please don't put gut in your cross, you will be wasting good money. For the same feel, a multi in cross is just as good as gut cross because the majority of your feel and playability will come from mains. This is especially true if you usually cut out lux after it loses it's tension. Would you want to cut out a much more expensive string for the same reason? At least with gut mains, the gut will hold it's tension far longer than any poly will, so you can play it til it breaks.

If you really want to see what gut is like, that is why I said do a full gut. My reasoning is that although hybrids are great, you aren't really comparing apples to oranges, and instead you get an apple-orange drink which although tasty, doesn't give you a good point of reference.

Although, don't get me wrong, gut mains and poly crosses is a great way to get a feel for gut without losing much of the control and crispness that poly affords. That said, if you do a hybrid, at least do gut mains with lux cross, as that is also a really great setup.

Whichever you decide, go for the same tension as you previous jobs to get the best point of reference and comparison. Otherwise if you change too many factors at once (strings AND tension), then you will have a less-clear idea of where to go next.

edit: Ok, so I re-read your OP and to get more spin and a little more arm friendly, do gut mains and lux cross, both same tension as before.

Fletch
01-28-2010, 01:22 PM
edit: Ok, so I re-read your OP and to get more spin and a little more arm friendly, do gut mains and lux cross, both same tension as before.

I will give this a try tonight as I watch Federer play, isn't that what he plays with?? I will go the same tension, that's a good idea, one variable at a time.
Thanks!

alidisperanza
01-28-2010, 04:50 PM
I will give this a try tonight as I watch Federer play, isn't that what he plays with?? I will go the same tension, that's a good idea, one variable at a time.
Thanks!

Yes, Fed plays "champions choice"

And secondly. Gut and multi do NOT play the same. Period. Maybe for your average yahoo weekend warrior that plays with the same strings for months at a time but in no way do they play the same. Even econo guts play differently than the highest multi. Coming from a string tension of 67alu I'm going to take a random guess and say that you are particular with tensions and feel. (just a guess). Gut can be a bit costly especially if you're cutting out poly but if you're stringing at 67 for the feel of tight poly I'm going to say that gut crosses are worth a shot over a full bed. The difference is you'll still have a poly feel but it will be more lively

Nanshiki
01-28-2010, 04:58 PM
The average multi is almost twice as stiff as natural gut. Less stiff = more power, more comfort, more feel. This is why pros use gut instead of multi.

I'd suggest a hybrid with ALU since that's what you already use, and it's the combination that more than half the pros use.

kslick
01-28-2010, 05:10 PM
I agree no multi can compare to a gut. I'm one of the people that use poly main and gut crosses. I like the way it fells and how I hit with it. And I've tried many combos. Gut is expense but one package can string 2 racquets so.....

kiteboard
01-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks!

Fed, joker, murray, and cilic, hewitt, all play with combo gut/alu (Murray alu mains.) Gut has half the tension loss of any poly, the best: msv hex at 11% and alu power at 12% overnight. For hard hitters, gut is the best choice for tension loss. fed: 47/45 joker: 61.6/59.4 Murray: 60-63 Cilic: 60/58 Delpo (alu power) 62/62 So you can see the pattern here: gut mains/alu power 1.25mm cross at your range: 63lbs. Roddick: hurricane/vs gut
The exceptions: Nadal: duralast at 54/52 Davystinko: polystar energy at 50/48. Notice the poly users are at lower tensions, but they only play with any given stick for 8 games. 1/2hr. Not enough time to trampoline much.

Fletch
01-30-2010, 06:34 AM
I think I will try one with Gut/ALU then one with ALU/Gut keeping the tension the same for now. I think the all gut would be too radical of a change for me, this should help ease into the different feel. It should be much easier on me without giving up all the stiffness that I'm used to.
Thanks for your responses.
Fletch

kslick
01-30-2010, 07:44 AM
you should try and string the Gut about 4 pounds more. No matter if its in the main or crosses.

alidisperanza
02-01-2010, 09:11 AM
I think I will try one with Gut/ALU then one with ALU/Gut keeping the tension the same for now. I think the all gut would be too radical of a change for me, this should help ease into the different feel. It should be much easier on me without giving up all the stiffness that I'm used to.
Thanks for your responses.
Fletch

Smart choice... You do want to string Gut a bit tighter though.