PDA

View Full Version : String breakage-- clues?????

klementine
01-28-2010, 08:20 AM
On another note.....

Does anyone know if where and how you break your strings says anything about technique or equipment?

Much like the wearing of the tread on your shoes can signify pronation, if you have high/med/low/no arch or the mechanics of your foot-work... does any rule apply for string breakage?

I usually break my strings on the crosses (once on the mains) and they don't all of a sudden snap-- there is some 'wearing' and 'tearing' apparent prior to the break.

mctennis
01-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Who's doing your stringing?

Standupnfall
01-28-2010, 08:38 AM
You might be hitting a tennis ball if you are showing signs of wear on the strings.
If you want them to last you should stop this immediately!

On a serious note: You can tell where you are hitting the ball by where the wear is occurring. What strings tension, racquet and style of play do you use?

This might help you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-vbeXyOCVc

klementine
01-28-2010, 08:48 AM
^ Thanks for the link....

I used to hit flat with an eastern grip and now (past 2 years) have developed a mean top-spin technique and a semi-Western grip... but have lost my feel for hitting flat... so now I'm re-learning my flat strokes and eastern grip. Have learned to incorporate both grips for different situations and techniques.. but still a work in progress. 2HBH's.

I hybrid my racquets, which I customize (MGPrestige Mids and currently the Reb95s).. usually put the poly in the crosses and I never string above mid-tension,traditionally I enjoy fairly heavy, tight-patterned frames-- straight-box beams.

I strive for an all-court game.. sit at the base-line probably 70-80% of the time.. enjoy coming in at net and look to change the pace of the game by throwing slices and droppers.

klementine
01-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Who's doing your stringing?

Believe it or not... that was a serious consideration when I left the states and returned to my birth-place - Greece... luckily I've found a great stringer here in Athens... certified and strung for the 2004 olympic games.

mlewis721
01-28-2010, 09:15 AM
I usually break my strings on the crosses (once on the mains) and they don't all of a sudden snap-- there is some 'wearing' and 'tearing' apparent prior to the break.

It sounds like you are using a multifilament in the crosses. If you switch to a synthetic gut type cross you won't see this fraying and you will be more likely to break a main instead.

I hybrid my racquets, which I customize (MGPrestige Mids and currently the Reb95s).. usually put the poly in the crosses and I never string above mid-tension,traditionally I enjoy fairly heavy, tight-patterned frames-- straight-box beams.

If you are in fact putting the poly in the crosses then the breakage you describe is very strange.

uk_skippy
01-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Believe it or not... that was a serious consideration when I left the states and returned to my birth-place - Greece... luckily I've found a great stringer here in Athens... certified and strung for the 2004 olympic games.

Is the stringer Petros?

klementine
01-28-2010, 02:28 PM
^Oxi... Georgos ton lene... Stin glyfada.. katw... mes sto 'city plaza' mall.

Pou einai o petros?

uk_skippy
01-28-2010, 02:35 PM
^Oxi... Georgos ton lene... Stin glyfada.. katw... mes sto 'city plaza' mall.

Pou einai o petros?

Sorry, I don't speak Greek

klementine
01-28-2010, 02:45 PM
^ Apologies... for some strange reason.. without actually being aware of the fact... i responded in Greek.

His name is George or Georgos.