PDA

View Full Version : can one break fresh strings on a mishit (top)?

mmaster
01-28-2010, 07:43 AM
i am not a hard hitter or extreme spin hitter so it takes ages for my strings to pop. however after getting some new strings, on my second session the string broke (main) on the upper part of the hoop. i do tend to mishit a lot, so could that have been the reason why my new strings broke so quick? the strings were previously only used for an hour or so and were strung on the lower side of recommended tension. or could it be my string job was problematic? i am now going to other places to string my racquets, because i have never seen strings break so quick but i'd like to know if i was at fault for this, not the stringer.

PimpMyGame
01-28-2010, 07:47 AM
I think most strings get broken on mishits. I assume you weren't using gut, but what strings did you have, and was the racket strung 1-piece or 2-piece? Also what racket are you using? Some are real string eaters.

Also look at the grommets and check for damage, this may account for string breakage, but this isn't as likely as a mishit IMO.

By the way, you can be unlucky enough to mishit your first ball and break the strings. It's not necessarily your stringer's fault.

mlewis721
01-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Did the strings break on a shot hit off the frame edge? This sort of breakage is known as shearing and while it's not something anyone would wish for with a new stringing it's also not something your stringer can control.

Any chance of you posting a picture so we can see where the strings broke?

mmaster
01-28-2010, 08:14 AM
wilson sensations on a hyper prostaff surge 5.1 mp, 1 piece.

i already removed the strings and from what i recall, the breakage came on a hit slightly towards the top area.

kiteboard
01-28-2010, 08:45 AM
No way your stringers' fault. Happens all the time, esp. with some sticks which are prone to it, due to grommet shear, sharp grommets cut the string sideways. Place some elmers glue in the grommet that sheared it, and next time it won't happen.

mmaster
01-28-2010, 08:49 AM
i see. i was just puzzled because it takes me a year to break strings sometimes, so breaking it on my 2nd hitting session was quite a surprise.

i guess i need a bigger sweetspot because i often mishit with the upper part of the hoop.

Frankauc
01-28-2010, 09:00 AM
i never broke a string on a misshit, strings last me about 8h of playing time

gameboy
01-28-2010, 09:09 AM
I broke NRG after about 5 min of hitting when I miss hit it right off the top. The stringer didn't charge labor on the replacement. But that broke also after one hitting session.

After that, I took a look at the grommet and sanded it smooth. Hasn't happened again since.

mmaster
01-28-2010, 09:25 AM
sounds very much like what happened to me gameboy, i will inspect the grommets near the top and will see if any are unusually sharp.

thanks again guys.

BigT
01-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Polys can break even fresh on mishits.

tennis005
01-28-2010, 12:49 PM
How do some of you guys break string so often. I couldn't break my strings to save my life( well maybe then but that beside the point) I once had some synthetic 16 that I played with so much, the string was half the diameter it should have been. Wore it down all the way to the solid core and still took me over two weeks playing 10-12 hours each week to break.

Tar Heel Tennis
01-28-2010, 01:01 PM
How do some of you guys break string so often. I couldn't break my strings to save my life( well maybe then but that beside the point) I once had some synthetic 16 that I played with so much, the string was half the diameter it should have been. Wore it down all the way to the solid core and still took me over two weeks playing 10-12 hours each week to break.

hit the ball harder, and with more spin :)

tennis005
01-28-2010, 01:05 PM
I tried that for those two weeks. Hit as hard as I could with tons of spin. I guess I'm just not the type that can easily break strings.

DownTheLine
01-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Polys can break even fresh on mishits.

Yes. Polys are more prone to break on mishits because it's a stiffer string.

No way is it your stringers fault go back to your regular stringer.

mmaster
01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
I tried that for those two weeks. Hit as hard as I could with tons of spin. I guess I'm just not the type that can easily break strings.

is ur stringbed really loose? what's your preferred tension?

tennis005
01-28-2010, 02:29 PM
I usually string my rackets at 60 lbs.

Deathsticks
01-28-2010, 07:06 PM
i remember i bought a aero storm and had it strung at a pro shop.
it was being strung with pro hurricane tour 1 peice. it snaped within 30 min of play on the top around 1o'clock.
to add it snaped where the knot is.
my coach told me to send it back to the stringer and he should do it over again, free of charge

TennisNinja
01-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Yes, I've done it a few times.

kiteboard
01-29-2010, 08:42 AM

In one session, I broke three string jobs, bb orig., and two other guys broke one set each. Two of my breaks were grommet shears on oh, and one was from normal wear, and the other guys one grommet shear oh, and one normal wear break.

kiteboard
01-29-2010, 08:43 AM
i remember i bought a aero storm and had it strung at a pro shop.
it was being strung with pro hurricane tour 1 peice. it snaped within 30 min of play on the top around 1o'clock.
to add it snaped where the knot is.
my coach told me to send it back to the stringer and he should do it over again, free of charge

Only if the knot came undone. Sometimes the knot slips through the hole, due to awls making the hole too big.

beststringer
01-29-2010, 09:36 AM
i am not a hard hitter or extreme spin hitter so it takes ages for my strings to pop. however after getting some new strings, on my second session the string broke (main) on the upper part of the hoop. i do tend to mishit a lot, so could that have been the reason why my new strings broke so quick? the strings were previously only used for an hour or so and were strung on the lower side of recommended tension. or could it be my string job was problematic? i am now going to other places to string my racquets, because i have never seen strings break so quick but i'd like to know if i was at fault for this, not the stringer.

yes, i've done it several times with 17g poly strings at 60lbs

mmaster
02-04-2010, 09:28 AM
ok, i checked the grommet holes and guess what? one of the grommets near the top indeed was partially chipped off and was left with a very very sharp and hard edge. it probably caused the string to pop. i'm guessing if i string again with the grommet in this condition, it will happen again?

but now i have another case of premature string breakage. on a newly strung 17g micro sheep and 15 minutes of play. i put the racquet away, just took it out few days later (today) and to my surprise the string was broken near the upper hoop, almost the same area as the other racquet. i inspected the grommets, they were all fine, no chips and no sharp edges. time to complain to the stringer for this one...

86golf
02-04-2010, 11:16 AM
ok, i checked the grommet holes and guess what? one of the grommets near the top indeed was partially chipped off and was left with a very very sharp and hard edge. it probably caused the string to pop. i'm guessing if i string again with the grommet in this condition, it will happen again?

but now i have another case of premature string breakage. on a newly strung 17g micro sheep and 15 minutes of play. i put the racquet away, just took it out few days later (today) and to my surprise the string was broken near the upper hoop, almost the same area as the other racquet. i inspected the grommets, they were all fine, no chips and no sharp edges. time to complain to the stringer for this one...

Breaks at the top of the frame can sometimes come from defects from pulling tesion. (especially with poly). Most tensioners are biting the string at that location. Do you know what machine your stringer uses ? Is it a rotational gripper?
OG sheep breaking premature is a new one on me though.

mmaster
02-04-2010, 11:23 AM
i have no idea.. should i ask him? is it important what type of machine it is?
btw, the stringers for both of these racquets were DIFFERENT people.

86golf
02-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Maybe. You aren't leaving these racquets out in the cold are you? I mention the tensioner issue because I've had poly break prematurely a half dozen times due to what I believe is the sharp 90 plus degree angle that rotational gripper tension heads put on the brittle poly. I've never seen this in synthetic gut though, only the brittle poly strings that are more prone to kink.

mmaster
02-05-2010, 12:41 PM
no it wasn't left in the cold. it's been inside my room, in a racquet cover. i'm guessing the stringer messed up somehow.
never had strings break on their own, if they broke they always broke while playing.

Big_Dangerous
02-06-2010, 07:11 PM

Yeah I made the Pro Hurricanes at 18 Gauge last me about 4-5 months, and when I got my Racket restrung they really didn't totally need to be replaced, I just wanted to try something else.