PDA

View Full Version : Help with the RD TI-80

DashaandSafin
04-27-2005, 11:50 AM
I am an extremly hard hitter and i like the Yonex RD TI 80. What can i do to reduce the power of this frame? ANy suggestions on where to put leadtape? And not to make this raquet tinny? Please give me suggestions for leadtape placement. Thank you

ferrari_827
04-27-2005, 12:22 PM
I don't know how you can say the Ti80 is high-powered. It's the lowest powered 98sq.in. racket I've played with.

Don't put lead tape because it will make it *more* powerful. I've added 10grams in my Ti80 to actually increase the power and stability.

What string are you using and what tension ? If you are using a powerful multi or natural gut, just go to a monofilament synthetic or something like Laserfiber Supreme which have less power. Or string tighter by 3-5lbs. Simple

muklucke
04-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Maybe u can put the lead tape under the replacement grip. but the problem with that is it will lower the swing weight and that will make your racket wip when you swing. the upside for u is that the power will be alittle less.

NikePlya28
04-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Yes indeed, what muklucke said would be very efficient in my opinio except for it might make your raquet a lil tinny.

NikePlya28
04-27-2005, 12:50 PM
It just might change the dynamics of your sweet spot also.

OldSchooLTennis
04-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Well i think if you want to have less power go for polyester strings at a high tension. That will deffintly reduce power

NikePlya28
04-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Yea what he said except in less technical terms...so basically hook your raquet up with the lead tape in the place that feels most comfortable to you so as not to alter or whatever to your sweet spot and it'll be fashizzle!

louis netman
04-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Any addition of lead (even at the butt or on the handle) will increase (not decrease) the swingweight. Indeed, it will be technically, more headlight in balance. Adding to the handle will make the racket heavier overall, less easy to swing, which equals less power, which is what you want. Come up on the tension a few lbs too if the addition of weight is not enough reduction. You can start with the tension issue, but I've heard yonex is horrible at higher tensions. You can't get the tinny metal feel out of a racket that has metal (titanium) in it... although I've heard that low tensions (opposite of what you want power-wise) get rid of some of the tinny feel...

ferrari_827
04-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Actually, the Ti80 tends to swing very fast even *with lead*, so adding lead will most likely increase power and your swing speed will be barely affected.

Best bet is to change strings or increase tension.

DashaandSafin
04-27-2005, 04:36 PM
I dont get it? How come pros use so much lead tape when they play and they hit so hard and still get it in? They put that much spin on the ball?

DashaandSafin
04-29-2005, 03:19 PM
ahhh answer me:)

hummer23
04-29-2005, 04:47 PM
pro's sue lead tape for the stability, the power comes from the way they swing, ands its al lcontroled by the way they swing, use of spins, angles, etc. if you just pound the ball falt, consider changing grips, or hitting easiers, more contol oriented. maybe go toa midsize frame if that doesnt work. in general, the ti 80 isnt a bad all around choice, and there isnt much power, so raise the tension, and maybe try a more spin oriented grip.