PDA

View Full Version : do any of you use replacement grip only (no overgrip)?

mmaster
01-28-2010, 09:24 AM
no more overgrip. i am considering this change because i found i like the thickness of my 4 3/8 just right without any overgrip. well it improves my forehand a lot. however it causes blisters despite being non-leather, but i think i can live with that once i develop some callouses.

how long do these replacement grips last in comparison to over grips? same lifespan or about 2-3 times longer?

OliverSimon
01-28-2010, 12:06 PM
It will last MUCH longer.

Bashi
01-28-2010, 12:49 PM
they last longer - a lot of the wear on overgrips comes from it rubbing against the tacky replacement grip under it.

Standupnfall
01-28-2010, 01:48 PM
they last longer - a lot of the wear on overgrips comes from it rubbing against the tacky replacement grip under it.

I agree they will last longer but my overgrips wearout on the outside, the inside is almost like new when I take them off after about 3-10 hours of play

Bashi
01-28-2010, 03:29 PM
interesting - must be because i play with tournagrip a lot, they usually end up shredding after a few hours

goran_ace
01-28-2010, 06:33 PM
I played with no overgrip for a couple years, just a synthetic grip. I had to regrip maybe once or twice a year. If you have multiple rackets I would suggest rotating them regularly so you can keep the level of dirt, wear, etc. somewhat consistent.

I eventually went back to using overgrips because you can have a new clean and tacky surface any time you want and quickly - every week, before each match, change a grip before going into a third set, etc.

mmaster
01-28-2010, 07:42 PM
yea but i am considering it mostly because i like the grip size w/o the overgrip. overgrip makes it a tad bigger handle than i want. it's not about the grip feel or tacky surface, it's about the size.

phishua
01-28-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't care all that much for overgrips. I'm stuck on Wilson Sponge Grips, they have been lasting me for a good while - probably around 4-5 months. They are a bit thick when you first get them, but eventually wear down, not quite shaping to your hand, but close. I love one after you've got a good month of playing on it. Feels awesome!

mmaster
01-28-2010, 08:04 PM
cool, i'm gonna go replacement grip shopping tomorrow. i don't really know which one to get though. any recommendations for a non-leather grip?

Pioneer
01-29-2010, 04:16 AM
What's the life span of a replacement grip with and without an overgrip on it?

dadozen
01-29-2010, 09:16 AM
I was a OG user, then I started using replacement grips only because the size felt better.

Since the tackiness is way better than any other OG I've tried, I bought dozens of the same replacement grip, and even though I switched to a smaller grip now( from L3 to L2 ) I'm still using the same replacement grip. Maybe when I run out of them, I start using OGs again, since I won't have problems with gripsize anymore.

schenkelini
01-29-2010, 09:22 AM
I have never liked overgrips. My current favorite is taking a racket that is 1/8 too small and using the Unique ReGrip. It is thick, spongy, and a bit tacky. It feels great.

mmaster
01-29-2010, 04:48 PM
i decided to just keep my current original replacement grip and use tourna grip tape over it. i'll try this first before replacing the original grip.

Tina
01-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the information. I just purchased two packages of overgrip today. It seems to me that the replacement grip lasts longer. I might give it a try in the future. Thanks, all.

tennis24
03-11-2010, 08:47 PM
i used to- its just that the bevels protrude more- its a litttle more uncomfortable

Standupnfall
03-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Or use a thin replacement grip like skin feel and and over grip.
Or just 2 overgrips