PDA

View Full Version : Tension gets TIGHTER when I have low tension

monkeyisland90
01-28-2010, 01:17 PM
So i've been playing ALOT of tennis and found out that my extreme western grip loves low tension.. (we are talking 40lb!!!) and i can literally move the strings easily after I string it and I really get lot of power and depth from this.. (especially using a hammer racquet which is really head heavy)... no problem with control because i get confidence from the power and have good rally ball shots and power shots... overall just feels really great... However since it's kind of winter time and weather is 50 degrees or so here... not too cold I notice that the tension after playing awhile gets tighter and I'm assuming it's the cold weather kind of freezing and tightening the strings and my game now needs to swing with much more effort... and is frustrating because i keep needing to adjust swing speed depending on the tension.... So my question is

1. Strings get tighter in colder weather and looser in warmer weather? makes bit sense...

2. Since i strung it at 40lbs and initially hitting really great and good feel... as time progresses it feels tighter due to colder weather... anyway to combat this? i was literally thinking of putting a second racquet in my bag with warm heat pads or something and keep switching... but that's pretty wierd... but i'm wierd guy so not that wierd..

3. Or should i just make tension even more lose since i know that cold weather will increase tension? Problem is i play indoors as well and weather isn't as cold so it's not as tight then.. .man i really need to change to semi western.. but long habit of this grip..

Bashi
01-28-2010, 01:25 PM
there are bags that have thermal guard compartments, usually used for natural gut. getting another racquet would probably help too, but i'm not sure what to tell you about string tension, since ive never really had that problem.

JSF1
01-28-2010, 01:38 PM
maybe the balls are just colder and stiffer?

Jonny S&V
01-28-2010, 01:43 PM
1. Strings get tighter in colder weather and looser in warmer weather? makes bit sense...

Yes.

2. Since i strung it at 40lbs and initially hitting really great and good feel... as time progresses it feels tighter due to colder weather... anyway to combat this? i was literally thinking of putting a second racquet in my bag with warm heat pads or something and keep switching... but that's pretty wierd... but i'm wierd guy so not that wierd..

Here's your answer:

maybe the balls are just colder and stiffer?

The balls compress more since air expands in heat and compresses in cold.

3. Or should i just make tension even more lose since i know that cold weather will increase tension? Problem is i play indoors as well and weather isn't as cold so it's not as tight then.. .man i really need to change to semi western.. but long habit of this grip..

I would have two racquets, one with lower tension (for outdoors) and one with normal/higher tension (for indoors).

Bad Dog
01-28-2010, 01:56 PM
You are asking the right questions; many people are starting to notice that string tension often seems to increase after hitting even though we have been told to believe that strings lose tension. Check out post #4 in the thread on a similar issue, linked below:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=306107