PDA

View Full Version : The never-broken-a-string club

Bashi
01-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Am I the only one here? After what has probably been over 1000 hours of serious play I've never broken one. I do have to restring when the strings feel dead, of course, but I've never popped one on the court. I've used polys, multis, natty and synth gut, at pretty standard ranges (55-60). Has anyone else never broken a string?

gameboy
01-28-2010, 03:36 PM
My wife and my 7 year old daughter never break a string... But, probably not what you wanted to hear.

tennisINmyBLOOD
01-28-2010, 03:51 PM
I never break string... maybe because I restring every 30 hours. Still, even with 60+ hours with a multifilament, I cannot seem to break string. Maybe it has to do with my stroke and how little spin I use. When I had my PDGT I strung multi at 60 lbs. Now that I'm using a Dunlop AG 4D 300 Tour, I use a poly/multifilament hybrid. Pretty sure I'm not close to breaking string anytime soon.

skyzoo
01-28-2010, 03:54 PM
I break about the third time i play with the strings

Bashi
01-28-2010, 04:28 PM
thats really strange, because i swing just as hard as anyone else on my high school team and i seem to be the only one who doesnt break any. strange. i probably jinxed it by making this thread though

gameboy
01-28-2010, 04:50 PM
How much spin you put on it has a lot to do with it, as well as the string gauge and tension.

When I was in high school, I used PSG 17g strung at 65lbs. I used to break that thing every week, and I was not the hardest hitter on my team. But I did have one the spinniest strokes.

SecondServe
01-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Am I the only one here? After what has probably been over 1000 hours of serious play I've never broken one. I do have to restring when the strings feel dead, of course, but I've never popped one on the court. I've used polys, multis, natty and synth gut, at pretty standard ranges (55-60). Has anyone else never broken a string?

Bashi,
The racquet you use is excellent for string longevity. I use the same one and have never had better string life. It's on the smaller side with a super dense pattern. This could be a major reason why you don't break many strings.

tennisdude083
01-28-2010, 07:01 PM
thats really strange, because i swing just as hard as anyone else on my high school team and i seem to be the only one who doesnt break any. strange. i probably jinxed it by making this thread though

The amount of topspin you hit has a much greater affect than just how hard you swing.

mikeler
01-28-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm a spin junkie and break them every few matches.

bad_call
01-28-2010, 08:07 PM
not a big string breaker here either. players tell me cause my strokes are so efficient. :)

tho when they do break it's usually on my serve.

mikeler
01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
not a big string breaker here either. players tell me cause my strokes are so efficient. :)

tho when they do break it's usually on my serve.

You do hit pretty flat, I think that helps.

bertrevert
01-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Not a string breaker.

Sure I have broken a few, but majorly because I used 18x20 patterns nothing went pop.

However I'm plying more now with 16x19 and 16x20 sticks and these feel more vulnerable... euphemistic for: nope still nothing broken!

Basically most of it has been 16 gauge too, certainly 17 gauge overall just doesn't last as long. Poly, although old and dead, can last forever. Masybe I need to hit harder. :)

Icedorb217
01-28-2010, 10:14 PM
I never break string... maybe because I restring every 30 hours. Still, even with 60+ hours with a multifilament, I cannot seem to break string. Maybe it has to do with my stroke and how little spin I use. When I had my PDGT I strung multi at 60 lbs. Now that I'm using a Dunlop AG 4D 300 Tour, I use a poly/multifilament hybrid. Pretty sure I'm not close to breaking string anytime soon.

LOL im in the same boat as you and were about the same age we are stringers and re string every so often. Nver broke one but probably could if i kept them in longer

Ripper014
01-29-2010, 11:46 AM
I want to say that pushers don't break strings... but as my mother would say... "thats not nice".

I hit the ball pretty flat for the most part, even though I do generate a lot of pace and I do not break many strings. If I do it is usually on a forehand or a serve were I normally impart the most spin. And note... I like the use the thinnest string I can find, plus I usually string at the high end of the spectrum.

I have friends that are big string poppers... but they are all big topspin hitters... and in their case it is the sawing of the strings that cause all the wear.

Shangri La
01-29-2010, 11:54 AM
I rarely break strings because I usually switch to a new racquet way before breaking the string.

EndLy
01-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I hit fairly flat and takes me awhile to break strings.. my friends are frequent string breakers but mostlydue to shanking haha and iit makes me chuckle because they believe they're hardcore ball bashers . I wouldn't be worried about it if I were you. As long as u produce the goods on the court