PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok for me to practice with flat balls?

devianbomb
01-28-2010, 04:37 PM
I have a large wall that I regularly practice hitting on when I don't have lessons but the balls get flat pretty fast. Is it ok for me to keep hitting with these or will it mess up my game?

120mphBodyServe
01-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Do not practise with flat balls.
It is one of the things you definitely want to avoid.

masterxfob
01-28-2010, 06:43 PM
i actually prefer using slightly flat balls when hitting against the wall since the ball bounces shorter. when on a court, i'll try using a new can of balls or the freshest available.

tennis24
01-28-2010, 07:07 PM
ehh, no u dont want to cuz then u get used to the ball bouncing shorter and then when u play with a fresh ball you will not be used to it.

Tennis_Monk
01-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Dont worry. You have my permission to use any balls you want.

mtommer
01-28-2010, 08:16 PM
I have a large wall that I regularly practice hitting on when I don't have lessons but the balls get flat pretty fast. Is it ok for me to keep hitting with these or will it mess up my game?

As an avid wall hitter I can tell you that it definitely slows things down. Does it mess things up? If you're not good at anticipating where your opponent hits the ball then it can mess up your timing. However, if you play enough, you may only be messed up for a few minutes until you naturally adjust back to playing speed.

jswinf
01-30-2010, 12:06 PM
i actually prefer using slightly flat balls when hitting against the wall since the ball bounces shorter. when on a court, i'll try using a new can of balls or the freshest available.

I agree with this. I like practicing against a wall sometimes, but it's different than regular rallying anyway and less lively balls seem to match that type of hitting better. Besides, who wants to open a new can to hit against a wall?

Also, it's important to wear properly supportive underwear. Flat balls aren't always a good thing.

SlvrDragon50
01-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Flat balls messed me up a bit :/ When I used new balls for the first time in awhile.. I couldn't control my serves or stroke for awhile and it ruined my match.

masterxfob
01-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Flat balls messed me up a bit :/ When I used new balls for the first time in awhile.. I couldn't control my serves or stroke for awhile and it ruined my match.

if you only practiced your serve and groundstrokes on a wall, regardless of whether or not they were new or flat balls, i can see why you lost your match.

anyhow, you have less reaction time hitting against a wall and or limited space as well. so hitting with a flat ball to slow things down a bit shouldn't affect your play much at all. hitting against a wall is mainly about working on your technique anyhow.

decades
01-30-2010, 10:50 PM
I won't tell anyone.

Sentinel
01-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Just dont use flat/dead balls on court. Will mess with your timing and shots a lot. You have to move a lot faster to get to a ball, when its a new ball.

There was a thread that discussed this a year back. Just search for "flat ball" and "dead ball"

charliefedererer
02-04-2010, 09:21 PM
The most valuable skills you can learn from hitting against the wall is how to time how fast you will have to move to the ball, and exactly when to initiate your swing, to strike it in your optimum hitting zone. (You can't work on accurate depth placement against the wall.)

With dead balls you will be teaching yourself how to time hitting a dead ball, one which will be coming to you much slower than a new ball off the bounce.

Which means you will not have the correct timing to hit a ball off the bounce when it is a new ball.

You will prove that learning to time how to hit a slow dead ball off the bounce will leave your timing way off when you have to hit a live ball in a match.

The tennis balls don't have to be brand new. The yellow tennis saver can help keep balls you used on court pretty fresh for your wall sessions:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31A4VJ6E70L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
(I didn't see this at TW, but it is for sale on Am*zon.com)

retrograde
02-12-2010, 05:35 PM
This whole "messes up your timing" thing is bogus when hitting against a wall.

The ball is traveling half the distance compared to baselining!!! Plus how fast the ball returns and how it bounces is a function of lots of things ... what the wall is made of (concrete wall will send the ball black faster than, say, wood walls) where the ball hits the wall, etc.

I say use whatever you want. You're a human being, you can adjust to how the ball comes off the wall.