PDA

View Full Version : Is this bread healthy?

i love t3nn1s
01-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Lately i have been trying to cut out white bread, rice, and so on.
I have been having trouble finding "healthy" bread, but last night i came across a bread that seemed healthy but i am not 100% sure. Can anyone take a look at the ingredients and confirm that it is a healthy bread?

Heres the link to the site.

http://www.alvaradostreetbakery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=10270&Category_Code=bread

musicalmedic81
01-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Im no nutritionalist, but it seems like it would be healthy, looks like everything in it is whole grain and organic. You just dont want anything with "enriched" ingredients. But sometimes breads with a laundry list of ingredients can be unhealthy in disguise. Like I said, everything in there sounds healthy, sprouted grains Ive heard are the healthiest way to get whole grains. But if you're not sure, Id ask a nutritionalist, or just buy 100% whole wheat, you can't go wrong with that. As long as you see "whole" or "sprouted" next to everything it should be ok

r2473
01-28-2010, 08:28 PM
The "best of Bread" has got to be good:

http://slimeydave.com/My%20Closet/My%20Records/Albums/Bread%20-%201973%20-%20The%20Best%20Of%20Bread.jpg

Vyse
01-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Just make sure the FIRST ingredient is 100%whole wheat or whole wheat, not enriched or multigrain or something that will try to trick you. But yes, this bread looks quite good to me. Not sure what whole grain berries are but they say whole wheat so I am assuming some part of the wheat. The rest of the ingredients look good, too. That bread looks very much like a winner.

rasajadad
01-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Yes, this bread is healthy.There is no processed sugar. Plus there are whole grains versus processed flour.

PS- Ditch white rice, but eat quinoa.

mike53
01-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Yes, I think the bread you are considering is quite "healthy" in the traditional sense of the word.

*Val*
01-31-2010, 12:16 PM
You know when you have to post links to what bread you're eating that you're taking things a bit too seriously. Just get some wholemeal bread and quit worrying.

Topaz
01-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Try to see if you can get Ezekiel brand bread near you (Trader Joe's? Whole Foods? Some Giants, but it will be in the freezer section). It is sprouted grain bread, and even better than whole grain. Tastes good, too!

chess9
01-31-2010, 04:36 PM
You know when you have to post links to what bread you're eating that you're taking things a bit too seriously. Just get some wholemeal bread and quit worrying.

I don't know, mate, I thought it was a very good question. What you eat is quite important, at least to me.

Me, I eat Sweet Bay's 9 grain bread (or is it 10? :) ). It's expensive, but is very good stuff.

-Robert

autumn_leaf
01-31-2010, 06:17 PM
that looks pretty healthy and at a very good price too. my stop and shop wheat bread is $2 with the same weight and has enriched wheat or something in it. o wells.

LuckyR
02-02-2010, 01:47 PM
People are healthy, products are healthful.

Court_Jester
02-02-2010, 02:01 PM
I've recently been diagnosed with diabetes so I have to be mindful of the type of food I eat. So Jasmine rice and white bread are out of the question but replaced them with quinoa mixed with pearled barley. For breads, I go for whole grain (not whole wheat) ones and I have to make sure that they don't contain high fructose syrups. The one you provided appears to be a good one.