PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on ankle brace and/or shoes

J_R_B
01-29-2010, 05:02 AM
So last night, I rolled my ankle to the outside pretty good. It's a little swollen and sore this morning, but I can walk on it (or at least hobble), so I don't think there is anything serious wrong with it (I actually was able to finish out the set, although clearly not at 100% mobility, before I felt my shoe getting tighter due to the swelling and decided it would probably be better to go ice it rather than keep playing).

Anyway, I don't need anyone to tell me to go see a doctor. I will do that on Monday if it's still swollen after a weekend of rest. I do want to do something to stabilize it from rolling on to the outside of the ankle, as this is not the first time this has happened. Does anyone have any recommendations for an ankle brace or particular type of shoe that will help for this? Or shoudl I jsut go to Sports Authority and get whatever type of brace they have there?

TIA.

BMC9670
01-29-2010, 07:37 AM
I use the Active Ankle T2 on both ankles (bad ankles from basketball injuries). They may seem bulky at first, but they mold to your ankle in a month or so and then you won't even notice them.

Reasons I prefer them over lace up (I have used the ASO lace up, which is also very good):

1. very lightweight
2. hinge lets foot move forward/back
3. mold to ankle for a "custom fit"
4. fast on/off (literally about 5 seconds)
5. lifetime warranty
6. they don't get stinky

On that last one, they are plastic and that part doesn't get stinky. The pads/straps will wear out and have to be replaced every couple of years.