PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about weight-lifting

Zachol82
01-29-2010, 09:16 AM
I've seen many people at my local gym increases their weight as they go through their sets. For example, if I start out at 200lbs, on isometric bench presses, for 15 reps, my second set would be 210lbs for 10 reps and my last set would be 220lbs for 5 reps.

What if I were to reverse this by starting with heavier weights? For example, if I start out at 220lbs, on isometric bench presses, for 5 reps, my second set would be 210lbs for 10 reps and my last set would be 200lbs for 15 reps. Would this change anything?

I was thinking that if I started out heavy then work my way downward, while increasing reps, would be a better work out.

Reason? Doing 5 reps of 220lbs would be a lot harder on the third set than doing 5 reps of 220lbs at the beginning of the set. I would probably be able to do 7-8 reps of 220lbs if I started out with it, and therefore would end up lifting more net-weight.

Of course, all this is assuming that my muscles are already warmed up. I would not start out with the heaviest weight I can handle otherwise.

mike53
01-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Both of these are valid progressions. I find that decreasing weight and increasing reps gets me a really good pump and allows me to keep better form at the point of exhaustion.

r2473
01-29-2010, 09:31 AM
There are as many opinions on this as there are people in the gym or magazines in the rack.

And everybody thinks their way is the only way.