PDA

View Full Version : strings are stretching in klippermate...

Delano
01-29-2010, 09:28 AM
not sure exactly where to post this... I'm experiencing a strange problem with the kilppermate. When I string the crosses (never the mains, though I use a synthetic gut in the crosses and a poly in the mains), the drop weight and grip will often reach balance, and then abruptly dip down. When I remove the string from the clamp, it has been flattened out and stretched (hard to explain, I hope you can visualize this...). It doesn't *appear* to affect the life of the string or playability, but it is making stringing a hassle. I don't think I'm bruising the string with overly tight clamps...

has anyone experienced this with a drop weight? any idea what to do about it?thanks for any advice.

bad_call
01-29-2010, 09:40 AM
some strings stretch more than others. this is normal. if it drops below level then tension more string so that it settles to level.

SOY78
01-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Try to wrap around the string gripper twise then put it thru the jaws of the drop weight.

JT_2eighty
01-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Since it's only happening in your crosses, perhaps this is just the friction of pulling through mains that is delaying the pull from reaching correct tension, and then the abrupt dip you see is the string settling as a sort of delayed reaction from the first time your dropweight reached balance. Try it with a full poly since that is not an elastic string, then if it still does that during crosses, at least it is not the string's elasticity and/or friction to blame.

I guess this isn't the best answer you were looking for, but it's hard to say and I'm no dropweight veteran either.

bsandy
01-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Since it's only happening in your crosses, perhaps this is just the friction of pulling through mains that is delaying the pull from reaching correct tension, and then the abrupt dip you see is the string settling as a sort of delayed reaction from the first time your dropweight reached balance.

+1

Consistency is the name of the game, not pefection.

. . . Bud

samster
01-29-2010, 01:10 PM
normal findings. no big deal.

86golf
01-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Note that synthetic gut strings actually STRETCH when pulling tension. Also, be sure you are straightening your crosses when you are pulling tension before you clamp.

Icedorb217
01-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Yah the string is just stretching is not a big deal completely natural

dancraig
01-29-2010, 05:07 PM
You need to clean your gripper. Use a hex wrench and remove the gripper. If you have never done this, get a good look at how it goes together before you take it down. Clean the gripping surface with alcohol and a rag. Reassemble and you will be good to go.

masterxfob
01-29-2010, 05:13 PM
You need to clean your gripper. Use a hex wrench and remove the gripper. If you have never done this, get a good look at how it goes together before you take it down. Clean the gripping surface with alcohol and a rag. Reassemble and you will be good to go.

this is exactly what i was thinking. if your strings are going from (let's just say) square to rectangular in shape, then your stringer is due for a cleaning. i've actually taken a file to the gripper to increase the "grip" and have not had any problems stringing even natural gut.