PDA

View Full Version : What's The Most String Jobs Broken In One Practice?

kiteboard
01-29-2010, 08:46 AM
fIVE, THREE BY ME: BB ORIG. PURE DRIVE TEAM PLUS STICKS, and two by others. I had two grommet shears, and Kimon had one, and Dr. Dave had one by normal wear. I had one by normal wear, with a leaded pure drive team plus. I've never seen anyone break three sets of bb orig. in one hit.

Ripper014
01-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I have broken 3 in a day of tournament play... but that is as close I get. But none of these strings were fresh... and all had some play in them. In general I don't break string.

schap02
01-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Not a big string breaker but on several occasions when I do break them I'll break 3 or 4 strings on the bed all in the same relative spot...

kiteboard
01-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Not a big string breaker but on several occasions when I do break them I'll break 3 or 4 strings on the bed all in the same relative spot...

Where did you get your avatar pic? Someone, somewhere, is enjoying that for real.

SOY78
01-29-2010, 02:30 PM
I broke two during a friendly match/practice play but both string jobs were old, some synthetic gut it was if I remember.

armsty
01-29-2010, 02:35 PM
I broke 2 during a training session once. Not the biggest string breaker but I do go through them. One was new the other was about 2 hours old.

Ookie Cookie
01-30-2010, 09:11 AM
the record for me is 6 in one practice

SlapShot
01-30-2010, 09:36 AM
I went through 3 fresh setups once in HS - all syn gut, and it was a cold day.

Since then, I've popped 2 in one hit, but that was with the PSC, which ate strings like none other.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
01-30-2010, 09:42 AM
i broke two tournament nylons in less than five minutes
of being fresh. It was really quick and "snappy" :)
I ran out of racquets then sooooo....had to go home :(

J011yroger
01-30-2010, 09:46 AM
5 ALU rough, 2 new 3 with play on them that were about ready to go.

J

Larrysümmers
01-30-2010, 10:14 AM

J

Hey I was just wondering, since your SW is at 405 and your racket is heavy, do your strings break more/faster compared to a stock version.

Teyko
01-30-2010, 10:59 AM
I've broken two...in a hitting session...but I can honestly say that the strings seem to be more durable these days...lots of fraying, but haven't snapped them yet....I use Tecnifibre Bi-phase X-one and NRG2.

Come to think about it...I only play with tecnfibre...

MethodTennis
01-30-2010, 11:24 AM
3 in a doubles semi

Gorecki
01-30-2010, 11:29 AM
never. not a string breaker, wich is funny cause i do hit with a lot of spin...

i always cut them when they start to fray

JoshDragon
01-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Just 2 strings in a practice session.

I did break a racquet though. Although not on purpose. I was playing with an old graphite racquet and it was already partly damaged on the left side of the frame. My opponent served an extremely hard ball to my back hand and when I went to return it the ball, made direct contact with that damaged part and the frame completely shattered.

kiteboard
01-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Just 2 strings in a practice session.

I did break a racquet though. Although not on purpose. I was playing with an old graphite racquet and it was already partly damaged on the left side of the frame. My opponent served an extremely hard ball to my back hand and when I went to return it the ball, made direct contact with that damaged part and the frame completely shattered.

Would like to see a video of that! Sort of like beckers' wrist shattering against the englishman at wimby.

J011yroger
01-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Hey I was just wondering, since your SW is at 405 and your racket is heavy, do your strings break more/faster compared to a stock version.

Well when I started playing again, and started using ALU rough, it was in a stock N90 at 58lbs.

Then I went to a modded 385g N90 at 58lbs.

Then I went to my current setup of the K90 405g and started at 60 trying 62, 64, 66, and 68 before settling on 70lbs.

Through all the racquets the rate of string breakage has steadily increased as I have gotten more and more work on my ball. There was no one change that caused a spike in rate of string breakage.

Actually, every time I switched, the strings would last a little longer, for the first couple of months, as I was getting used to the new frame, I guess I was being a bit more tentative. And then it caught right up to the old frame, and then as I continued to get better it advanced even more.

It really started to be a problem this past summer when my wrist was finally near 85% and I could begin to hit a legitimate FH again, and I was getting 1-1 1/2 hours out of a full job, which necessitated the switch to the Kevlar blend.

One thing is that I think the tighter I string, the longer the strings last, because I have to hit more topspin to achieve the same depth with the looser stringjobs, and have to hit flatter with the tighter stringjobs.

J

kiteboard
01-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Well when I started playing again, and started using ALU rough, it was in a stock N90 at 58lbs.

Then I went to a modded 385g N90 at 58lbs.

Then I went to my current setup of the K90 405g and started at 60 trying 62, 64, 66, and 68 before settling on 70lbs.

Through all the racquets the rate of string breakage has steadily increased as I have gotten more and more work on my ball. There was no one change that caused a spike in rate of string breakage.

Actually, every time I switched, the strings would last a little longer, for the first couple of months, as I was getting used to the new frame, I guess I was being a bit more tentative. And then it caught right up to the old frame, and then as I continued to get better it advanced even more.

It really started to be a problem this past summer when my wrist was finally near 85% and I could begin to hit a legitimate FH again, and I was getting 1-1 1/2 hours out of a full job, which necessitated the switch to the Kevlar blend.

One thing is that I think the tighter I string, the longer the strings last, because I have to hit more topspin to achieve the same depth with the looser stringjobs, and have to hit flatter with the tighter stringjobs.

J

Wow. That's heavy. I would suggest ashaway mains, 16g, with polystar energy crosses. That's up there with the beasts.

J011yroger
01-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Wow. That's heavy. I would suggest ashaway mains, 16g, with polystar energy crosses. That's up there with the beasts.

Currently using Ashaway 16g Mains and ALU Rough crosses.

Lasts 3-5 hours.

J

JoshDragon
01-31-2010, 03:53 AM
Would like to see a video of that! Sort of like beckers' wrist shattering against the englishman at wimby.

Unfortunately I don't have one. Although I will say that it was very loud when it snapped. Almost like a gun shot.

lawlaw
01-31-2010, 04:49 AM
Used to go through 8-12 sets in our 6hr training sessions. The Prince graphite original had huge bite and great feel due to the string pattern. The few main and strings coupled with Prince Syn Original 16 would get me through no more than 30mins of practice so it had to go.

I remember the stringer at Bolletieri's making a small fortune out of me each week.

kiteboard
01-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Used to go through 8-12 sets in our 6hr training sessions. The Prince graphite original had huge bite and great feel due to the string pattern. The few main and strings coupled with Prince Syn Original 16 would get me through no more than 30mins of practice so it had to go.

I remember the stringer at Bolletieri's making a small fortune out of me each week.

First time I tried price syn gut, it lasted 1/2hr. That was the last time I tried it.

dantesinferno18
01-31-2010, 11:33 AM
i broke two in a semi finals match. used my third racket which was a different racket and won :)

TennisNinja
01-31-2010, 01:37 PM
3, but the first was already really frayed.

Tennissee
01-31-2010, 03:08 PM
Broke the Gamma TNT 17 strings in both of my Prince Graphite sticks during the 10-minute warm-up before a match in 1997. Had to borrow a skunk from my friend playing next court to play the actual match. After that, I bought a stringer, switched to Kevlar 18g, and never looked back.

kiteboard
01-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Broke the Gamma TNT 17 strings in both of my Prince Graphite sticks during the 10-minute warm-up before a match in 1997. Had to borrow a skunk from my friend playing next court to play the actual match. After that, I bought a stringer, switched to Kevlar 18g, and never looked back.

The rule is, if you come onto the court with sticks, and break strings, you can't borrow sticks from someone else if the match has begun, if they enforce it, and if you blow out a sneaker the same applies. I was playing a guy in a 4.5 ntrp, and blew both my sticks out, and I tried to borrow one from a passing guy, and my opponent lent me one of his own sticks, saying, "I wanted to see if I could beat you fair and square." I beat him with his own stick, and didn't feel guilty.

"Thanks for the sportmanship.", I said.

kiteboard
01-31-2010, 04:31 PM

This sounds like a top former/junior to me. 6hrs, 8 jobs a day? Can you get ahold of any pt57a from head?

Tennissee
01-31-2010, 04:47 PM
The rule is, if you come onto the court with sticks, and break strings, you can't borrow sticks from someone else if the match has begun, if they enforce it, and if you blow out a sneaker the same applies. I was playing a guy in a 4.5 ntrp, and blew both my sticks out, and I tried to borrow one from a passing guy, and my opponent lent me one of his own sticks, saying, "I wanted to see if I could beat you fair and square." I beat him with his own stick, and didn't feel guilty.

"Thanks for the sportmanship.", I said.

Hmmm, I didn't realize that. I borrowed the skunk BEFORE we started the match, though. Does it count? I actually ended up beating that guy 6-0, 6-0. Maybe I should concede the game next time I see him ...

kiteboard
01-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Hmmm, I didn't realize that. I borrowed the skunk BEFORE we started the match, though. Does it count? I actually ended up beating that guy 6-0, 6-0. Maybe I should concede the game next time I see him ...

Doesn't count if before the match, only during the match.

alidisperanza
02-01-2010, 03:42 PM
4 back in HS, syn gut days... one was 5 mins in fresh.. I think it was defective string though.

For most people, yes.

J
I think I was there for that... nothing beats the x/m pop though

J011yroger
02-01-2010, 04:00 PM

Dude, you said TNT and Skunk.

There was no need to put 1997 in that post.

J

Tennissee
02-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Dude, you said TNT and Skunk.

There was no need to put 1997 in that post.

J

Touche!

(The fact that you know them dates you also. ;))

J011yroger
02-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Touche!

(The fact that you know them dates you also. ;))

Yup, if you were a Wilson kid, you had the skunk, and if you were a prince kid, you had the, oh what the hell was the name of it, the blue and white one, with the orangish morph beam decal...

And you just HAD to have TNT.

J

J011yroger
02-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Prince Thunder Lite!

That was it.

Damn old age jivin with my memory.

J

J011yroger
02-01-2010, 04:44 PM
I think I was there for that... nothing beats the x/m pop though

How about a double kevlar main pop, with one string between them whole?

J

alidisperanza
02-02-2010, 09:49 AM
How about a double kevlar main pop, with one string between them whole?

J

Yeah I was there for that too...Still incredulous. The middle was perfectly fine!!!

Tennissee
02-02-2010, 10:35 AM
I use kevlar for mains most of the time, and it is always the mains that break, in the middle. The crosses, usually SG, have never snapped on me. Yes, I had the "double kevlar main pop, with one string between them whole" happen to me also. Don't know what that means, though.

Whenever I see people breaking the cross strings, I suspect inferior string or shoddy stringing work. What do you guys think?

kiteboard
02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I use kevlar for mains most of the time, and it is always the mains that break, in the middle. The crosses, usually SG, have never snapped on me. Yes, I had the "double kevlar main pop, with one string between them whole" happen to me also. Don't know what that means, though.

Whenever I see people breaking the cross strings, I suspect inferior string or shoddy stringing work. What do you guys think?

Just means the mains sawed through the crosses first. If you like sg cross, try cyber flash crosses. I broke 4 mains at once, all snapped on an overhead and left a ball shaped hole in the bed.

DownTheLine
02-02-2010, 01:30 PM
2. My quickest would be around 1hr 45 mins- 2hr(ALU Power).

J011yroger
02-02-2010, 01:49 PM

With the Kevlar Mains and ALU Crosses, sometimes the Main goes first and sometimes the Cross.

Once I broke a main and a cross in one shot.

Even when the mains break, the crosses are paper thin.

Just the way it goes.

J

Ronaldo
02-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Using a Prince Thunderbolt, broke mains on three racquets on three successive return of serves. Three weeks later broke three more strings within an hour. Now I play with one racquet till the strings break, then use one freshly strung. And stopped using Prince and Wilson string-eaters.

alidisperanza
02-02-2010, 07:19 PM
I tend to break crosses first. Almost always. I know my stringing jobs are quality though, I do all my stringing.

Tennissee
02-02-2010, 07:34 PM
I tend to break crosses first. Almost always. I know my stringing jobs are quality though, I do all my stringing.

Hmmmm. I believe you do a quality job. I'm sure you are using some sort of hybrid. Do you use thin natural gut at high tension in the crosses? Is the string in the mains quite abrasive? I'm very surprised.

DownTheLine
02-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Hmmmm. I believe you do a quality job. I'm sure you are using some sort of hybrid. Do you use thin natural gut at high tension in the crosses? Is the string in the mains quite abrasive? I'm very surprised.
So am I.
One of my friends uses ALU Power on the mains and tonic gut in the crosses and the mains go first...

kiteboard
02-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Using a Prince Thunderbolt, broke mains on three racquets on three successive return of serves. Three weeks later broke three more strings within an hour. Now I play with one racquet till the strings break, then use one freshly strung. And stopped using Prince and Wilson string-eaters.

Wow. That's a lot of breaks. The stick, if stiff, the tension, if high, the mass, if heavy, the string, if soft, will break quicker.

Big_Dangerous
02-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Never broken a string lulz. *Knocks on wood*

tennisdude083
02-03-2010, 12:06 PM
I've never broken more than 2 strings in one session however in the last week I snapped 5 string jobs, which has really ****ed me off since I am waiting for my X-2 to arrive so I haven't gotten any of them strung.

J011yroger
02-03-2010, 01:54 PM
So am I.
One of my friends uses ALU Power on the mains and tonic gut in the crosses and the mains go first...

Gut crosses will saw through poly mains in most cases, usually the gut doesn't even look too beat up.

J

Irvin
02-03-2010, 02:55 PM
My son went out for the tennis team in high school and had just switched from a Wilson Ceramic racket to a Prince CTS Approach 90. He had been playing with a 17 gauge string then and I strung all four of his new rackets the night before practice. He broke all four of them, borrowed two from friends and broke both of them. No one else would let him use another racket so the coach loaned him hers. Needless to say I had 7 rackets to string that night for the next day's practice and no he did not get any more 17 gauge string. from then on he only broke about 7 to 10 sets a week. That was long before poly string and he hated Kevlar.

Irvin

alidisperanza
02-03-2010, 03:44 PM
If I use hybrid stringing it's almost always crosses regardless of what strings I use. If I use solid poly it's about 70/30 crosses. (of note though, I always string the "softer" string on the cross)

My usual combination is MSV (or similar poly) with Gaucho or Tonic crosses. @ 56 to 58.

heck, I popped fresh msv/gaucho in 45 mins hitting with dennis. Great hitting, painful to pocket