PDA

View Full Version : Is Babolat hurting Tsonga?

crash1929
01-29-2010, 10:03 AM
He doesn't seem to go through the ball as well with the babolat.
When he misses shots he looks straight down at his racquet.

AndyArodRoddick
01-29-2010, 10:08 AM
He doesn't seem to through the ball as well with the babolat.

I actually think Tsonga has a lot more control in his shots, than he did had with Wilson. He played Djoker and he had some 5 UEs in a set, wich was quite awesome for him.

MichaelChang
01-29-2010, 10:08 AM
You didn't think so right after he beat Djokovic, did you?

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
He doesn't seem to through the ball as well with the babolat.

I think you mean hit through the court. That racquet is made for hitting big top. It seems to me that Tsonga would play much better with a thinner beam players racquet because he hits the ball fairly flat.

ronalditop
01-29-2010, 10:11 AM
It seems as he's hitting with less pace and more spin with his new racquet.

raging
01-29-2010, 10:21 AM
I thought he played great with the racquet until the semi with fed!

AndyArodRoddick
01-29-2010, 10:38 AM
You didn't think so right after he beat Djokovic, did you?

mm, yes i did.

Ripper014
01-29-2010, 11:10 AM
The guy just got to the semi's of a major... losing to the No. 1 player in the world and probably the GOAT, a pretty good achievement for a weeks work.

The racket is fine.

animagriever
01-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Federer just made him play bad... good workman never blames his tools... unless he doesn't know how to use his tools!

JoelDali
01-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Tsonga deserves better than that silly chick stick.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
01-29-2010, 11:43 AM
It seems as he's hitting with less pace and more spin with his new racquet.

agreed i noticed that too

bluetrain4
01-29-2010, 11:47 AM
I really don't think so, because I've watched him play pretty great at times during the AO using his Babolat stick.

But, it has crossed my mind at times when he looks off. But, remember, he can be streaky no matter what his racquet. Last night, his forehand looked weird at times, like it wasn't as flat or as penetrating, but at the same time it wasn't super spinny either. But, he had come off of two five setters and was playing an on-fire Fed, so I doubt the racquet would have made much of a difference.

Read his press conference transcript, he basically admits over and over, "Fed kicked my *ss." He says he was slightly sluggish from the past matches, but it was no excuse, he just got whipped, nothing he could do.

Also, the commentators were saying he also switched string, which could be a bigger deal in terms of equipment than the racquet.

BLXUtekPuredriveO3
01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm thinking he blames the racket in stead of looking between the ears. Racket is a much easier fix but not the problem here.

samster
01-29-2010, 12:13 PM
I think playing Roger Federer is hurting Tsonga!

I agree with this statement. Tsonga didn't have too many issues with his racket when he played Djoker.

decades
01-29-2010, 12:16 PM
no his lack of alternatives to ball bashing hurts joe willie.

bluetrain4
01-29-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm thinking he blames the racket in stead of looking between the ears. Racket is a much easier fix but not the problem here.

He never blamed the racquet.

bluetrain4
01-29-2010, 12:33 PM
As always, we must ask if he actually changed sticks or is it a paint job. I believe it's a new stick. I've seen a few mentions that it might be a paint job.

Also, even if he has changed, the change isn't necessarily dramatic. Fowler was commenting on how Tsonga had change to a "significantly lighter" racquet, basing this on the weights of the stock models of his old and new frames. But, of course, he's probably using a modified or custom or frame that, if it is indeed a new frame, is probably pretty close in weight and balance to his old frame.

Aces09
01-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Hell no, i think he's hitting the ball great. Maybe he should go back to luxilon, because he describes it as "perfect for tennis", but No, he's doing great with his apd. You can't get to the Australian Open playing with a racquet you don't like :D

Plus he used the racquet before he switched to babolat, he tested one back when he was with wilson and he loved the racquet, which is why he switched to the Kobra tour, which if you look closely, is designed almost exactly like the Aeropro drive, Wilson probably made it to try and keep Jo-willy, and I'm sure Babolat was more than happy to sign him.

the Town Sherif
01-29-2010, 01:30 PM
if anything, i think the racquet is helping him get a bit more spin and have a few more balls land in that were possibly going long with his wilson.

He played with the babolat a year ago and loved it and wanted to switch but he was still under contract with Wilson, so they made him play with the Kobra which is basically a aeroprodrive clone or maybe it was an APD with a kobra paintjob. Either way, he stopped playing with his old wilson a long time ago (at least since the US OPEN).

AJK1
01-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Typical thread from a poster that thinks losing tennis matches is from your equipment. How lame....

matchmaker
01-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Tsonga's change of racquets is one of the most radical ones I have ever seen and I have often wondered if this really suits his playing style, but if he thinks it does, who am I to argue...

Larrysümmers
01-29-2010, 02:52 PM
I thought we came to the conclusion that his Wilson was just a paint job of a babolat. So he never really switched. He just played the GOAT and lost.

jefferson
01-29-2010, 03:01 PM
I dont think going from the kobra tour to the babolat is that hard of a transistion! I think he played great! Playing his first 5 setters ever in his career, and nevermind playing them in back to back rounds, gassed him. He looked worn out against Fed. And then to top it off Fed is playing flawless tennis!

I am hoping for a great final, with tons of drama!!

LafayetteHitter
01-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Club players often think a racquet causes losses. At the pro level there are so many variables at play for this high level of tennis to blame his racquet is quite lame.

rosheem
01-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Agree that the transition from Wilson Kobra Tour to his current stick was not really a big change. The bigger change was when he moved from the Blade to the Kobra.

I noticed that he was looking down at his racquet a few times as well, but it seemed like he was looking at his grip...as if it may have been slipping or something.

Then again, he was looking for just about anything to blame as he was being completely destroyed by Federer.

He made it to the final four as the 10th seed, so I really don't think there is a need to blame anything.

000KFACTOR90000
01-29-2010, 04:21 PM
i think his playing 2 x 5 setters in a row (his first 5 setters ever in a slam) hurt him more than anything.

crash1929
01-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Well I haven't seen him play much but the last time he did well here he was hitting through the court big time. It looked like he could not hit the ball flat and hard which made him look so dangerous the last time he did well here.

You have to admit after a few bad shots, especially on volley. He looked at his racquet as if to say "wtf I didn't expect that".

Patrick Mcenroe (or one of the commentators covering the match) said he "probably switched for the money".

and "the raquet does not look exactly like the one rafa is using...his looks shinier"

/////really shiner? what?

vincent_tennis
01-29-2010, 11:08 PM
@op
Yes and No,
His "power" part of his gae has benifited for it but not his touch game =/
You should have seen how courier wasdissing his racquet lol

quest01
01-29-2010, 11:24 PM
@op
Yes and No,
His "power" part of his gae has benifited for it but not his touch game =/
You should have seen how courier wasdissing his racquet lol

What did Courier say about Tsonga's racquet?

Who really cares what Courier says anyways, he uses a completely different racquet so of course hes going to have a differing opinion but I'm curious to know what he said.

vndesu
01-29-2010, 11:37 PM
What did Courier say about Tsonga's racquet?

Who really cares what Courier says anyways, he uses a completely different racquet so of course hes going to have a differing opinion but I'm curious to know what he said.

he said his ntrp rating was too low to play with the aeropro.

baseline_monster
01-30-2010, 02:00 AM
The guy just made a semi of a slam and was well beaten by the best player of our time in great form, not to mention Tsonga looked exausted. He is playing fine with the racket, the match against Djokovic shows it. Why does someone have to make a thread like this whenever some one changes equiptment, it is about the player, not the racket!

Bud
01-30-2010, 02:05 AM
He doesn't seem to go through the ball as well with the babolat.

He made it to the SF didn't he?

Don't blame the racquet... blame his lousy play and lack of any energy during his match.

Bud
01-30-2010, 02:07 AM
I thought we came to the conclusion that his Wilson was just a paint job of a babolat. So he never really switched. He just played the GOAT and lost.

Who is we? It's not a paint job of a Kobra as it has Woofer grommets :roll:

baseline_monster
01-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Also, if the guy is happy with it then who is anyone else other than maybe his coach to say its not right for him. If he feels better with it then its fine. For me, in the quarter he looked top knotch with it, hit alot of winners, got more balls in courts with more spin, he lost points through crap conentration and it almost cost him. He didnt swith for the money, if he did then he would have carried on using his hyper pro staff for the rest of 09 untill his babolat contract started, and would have used a Pure Storm Tour or something, Babolat didnt need another player to sell the Aero pro also, i doubt Babolat would table more money than Wilson, highly doubt it.

Larrysümmers
01-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Who is we? It's not a paint job of a Kobra as it has Woofer grommets :roll:

I thought I read somewhere on here that he never used the kobra and it was just a babolat with a kobra pj. I must have. Been mistaken

baseline_monster
01-30-2010, 09:53 AM
He used a Kobra Tour that was weighted and balanced to his liking, my guess is that would be one lumby racket to swing

Pink_Shirt
01-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Tsonga is hurting Tsonga.

crash1929
01-30-2010, 07:57 PM
racquets can make a big difference. just read open.

baseline_monster
01-31-2010, 04:15 AM
racquets can make a big difference. just read open.

Maybe, but he has obviously made the move as he feels it benefits him, and it has.

guavalikestennis
01-31-2010, 04:25 AM
I think you mean hit through the court. That racquet is made for hitting big top. It seems to me that Tsonga would play much better with a thinner beam players racquet because he hits the ball fairly flat.

yeah,I feel the same thing.

jackcrawford
01-31-2010, 05:36 AM
Maybe, but he has obviously made the move as he feels it benefits him, and it has.He's wanted to switch to a Babolat widebody since last summer, since he was tied to Wilson by contract he switched to a Wilson widebody. Since all the K90 lovers say Fed knows what's best for his game, by the same logic Tsonga knows his own game best as well. Thin beam works best for some, wide beam for others, at any level, beginner to pro. Yes, I've changed my mind on this, no longer advising Roger to switch:)

West Coast Ace
01-31-2010, 10:58 AM
I refuse to buy into the 'it's the racket' excuses for any of the pros. He had plenty of time to get used to it. If he was losing every 1st round match there might be some credence. But he played great at the AO, hit some sick shots and served big, and only lost to the eventual champ in the semis!

OHBH
02-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Tsonga's change of racquets is one of the most radical ones I have ever seen and I have often wondered if this really suits his playing style, but if he thinks it does, who am I to argue...

I don't think racquets actually suit styles at all. At one point Mcenroe and Graf used the same stick. Very contrasting styles, same stick.

banxy93
02-02-2010, 10:09 PM
yeh its really hurting him......clowns
he made semis's of aussie open!!
wake up to urselvs

grimmbomb21
02-02-2010, 10:27 PM
yeh its really hurting him......clowns
he made semis's of aussie open!!
wake up to urselvs

This.:|

10 characters

Ross K
02-02-2010, 10:42 PM
His change of frames is extremely different and hard to fathom (and you'd qsn if it suits his style.) Yet as the above poster says, he's got to a GS semi for crying out loud! So... it's definitely working then... which kind of ends the discussion no?

Fed Kennedy
02-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I think Federer is hurting Tsonga much more than the Babolat...

fabulousfab
02-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Everything is said

origmarm
02-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Everything is said

If Crash is truly a Wilson rep, then let me take the opportunity to say:

FIX YOUR QC!!

I will never buy another Wilson racquet due to this.

Now that that's out of of the way there is no way that Tsonga's racquet has been a problem for him, if anything the opposite.

Sobonnk
02-03-2010, 02:28 AM
I thought he played great with the racquet until the semi with fed!

Most people play great until they play Fed, execpt me, I pretty much suck all the time.

Rabbit
02-03-2010, 05:26 AM
To the OP....semis of the OZ aren't too bad with a new frame....

What am I saying? The semis of OZ aren't bad with an old frame!

darkavgr
02-03-2010, 09:01 PM
To the OP....semis of the OZ aren't too bad with a new frame....

What am I saying? The semis of OZ aren't bad with an old frame!

Semis of OZ arent bad on ANY frame !!

Rabbit
02-04-2010, 03:45 AM
Semis of OZ arent bad on ANY frame !!

I Stand CORRECTED!

raging
02-05-2010, 02:24 PM
actually think Tsonga is going to play an even better french with his bab or without it. Like you say..with any frame!

crash1929
02-12-2011, 12:03 PM
How has Tsonga been doing? Btw, I am a Babolat fan and user.

jhutch
02-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Right now he is in the finals of an ATP 500 in Rotterdam, plays soderling tomorrow.

Djokolate
02-12-2011, 01:42 PM
tsonga is hurting babolat

crash1929
02-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Right now he is in the finals of an ATP 500 in Rotterdam, plays soderling tomorrow.

oh thanks for the reminder. i think it should be on tennis channel as I just saw soderling be youhzny.

has tsonga played as well or better since he switched. the apd is my new favorite racquet. i just switched from a very old pd+.

Jamesm182
02-16-2011, 04:11 AM
When i saw him play (when this thread was initially created), it looked that he was playing with a lot more topspin.

What i noticed though was when he signed with Babolat he also started using RPM blast? which was giving him this. After a few disappointing results he switched back to his old (or at least different) string setup.

Changing string will have had a massive impact. The racket will have very little effect as whatever they gave him would be customized to his familiar specs?.

I agree he has fallen away a bit recently (injuries also caused this), I find him really entertaining to watch, and hope he has a great 2011

Totai
02-16-2011, 05:37 AM
Wilson Kobra = win

Pioneer
02-16-2011, 06:47 AM
The logical conclusion on this forum is that semis of a GS with Babolat is better than final of a GS with Wilson...