PDA

View Full Version : Medial meniscus tear?

gh65721
01-29-2010, 02:50 PM
I have been losing a little range of motion in my right knee the past couple weeks, had very slight swelling, but still playing pain free with a neoprene sleeve on. However yesterday morning woke up and can barely bend the knee to a 90* angle, have extreme tightness on the inside part of the knee where the medial meniscus is. Not much pain, unless I try to bend it too far. Swelling has gone down slightly, I am icing diligently. I am 46 and have been playing 2-3 times a week the past 5 yrs. When I joined a doubles ladder league 2 weeks ago I started leaning back more on my serve to get more kick and I am afraid that is what has damaged it. Anyone out there recover from similar situation without surgery? Thanks in advance for any advice.

charliefedererer
01-29-2010, 03:02 PM
You didn't mention if you've made an appointment with an orthopod with an interest in sports related knee injuries. If you haven't you should. You very well could recover "without surgery" because it is impossible to make an online diagnosis. For instance you could have a popliteus muscle strain. But you definitely should get it checked out. And yeah, in the future, you have to balance your weight on both legs for the push off, with your front hip pushed out so you can assume a bow shape in your trophy pose but keeping your weight centered. And being in great shape from plenty of squats would be a great help too.
Good luck on a speedy recovery though.

gh65721
01-29-2010, 03:44 PM
I have to go see my primary care phy. first according to my insurance plan. I will do that for sure if the swelling doesn't go down. I have played many years of baseball, softball and done extensive weightlifting and have just come back to tennis five years ago. I am 5' 8" 200 lbs and look much more like a powerlifter than a tennis player and have very strong legs. I could stand to lose a few pounds, wear size 36 jeans. I have tried to copy Pete Sampras's serve motion and have a decent serve, I am a 3.5.

gh65721
01-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Charlie, thanks for the info. So far I have no clicking or popping or catching going on that is usually associated with a tear, the popliteal may be it.

charliefedererer
01-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Three years ago I brought on a popliteus muscle strain in my right knee by putting too much weight on my rear leg in a misguided effort to get a bigger wind up on my serve. I sort of subtley did it to myself over a period of months, and it wasn't until the knee area was sore that I thought it all over and realized what I did.
If you have a serve like Sampras, you may enjoy the following video in which a pretty good server is compared in a spit screen analysis with Pete, with some great comments/insight on how to make the serve even better: http://www.essentialtennis.com/video/2009/11/sampras-serve-comparison/

gh65721
01-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Charlie, did you get a lot of swelling with yours?

charliefedererer
01-29-2010, 07:11 PM
I only had minimal swelling. I do think I figured out what was going on before it got too bad. It just clicked that I was putting too much weight on my back foot for the push off.

gh65721
01-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Range of motion is increasing and having less pain now that I have rested and iced for 4 days. I think I have bursistis from what I have been reading. I am supposed to play doubles tomorrow nite. Should I hold off or go ahead and play with it tightly wrapped? With a neoprene sleeve on tightly to restrict range of motion it actually feels ok. I will probably go get an injection if my doc thinks that will help.

charliefedererer
02-01-2010, 10:16 AM
The best for your recovery would be to hold off playing until pain free. The compression would help you get through a match, but is it really worth it?