PDA

View Full Version : Gosen Micro 17G loses tension quickly

kenshireen
01-29-2010, 03:06 PM
I strung a 110 with gosen at 60 lbs...
I have a bab rdc at my disposal...
I checked the rating and it was 65 (i know this is not the tension)
One week later with maybe 2 hours of play it was 58.
One week later with maybe an hour or two or play it was 52 and I restrung it because I find that I play best at 55-57 RDC.

Is this uncommom for this string.

BobFL
01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Well, yeah it is very common for sub $4 (or sub $2 if you have a reel) strings :)

masterxfob
01-29-2010, 04:27 PM
i really like the strings, but can't comment on the life of them as i usually break the 17g in an hour or so. however, most every string loses a bit of tension a day or so after the initial stringing and i wouldn't be surprised to find if the tension loss were greater on an oversize racket head. i'd suggest to increase the tension a few lbs at a time and wait at least a day or maybe two (since it's an oversize head) before hitting with it.

mikeler
01-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Yep, you get what you pay for. BTW, I used that string once and broke it in 14 games right in the middle of the frame.

kenshireen
01-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Those of you who break this string so quickly must be very heavy hitters.
Mine will normally last around 30-40 hours and then I cut them out.
But I'm just a 3.5-3.75

masterxfob
01-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Those of you who break this string so quickly must be very heavy hitters.
Mine will normally last around 30-40 hours and then I cut them out.
But I'm just a 3.5-3.75

just varies depending on the player. i let a friend borrow my racket with a fresh string job and he killed the strings in under half an hour. needless to say, that was the last time i lent him a racket.

if you're getting that much life out of your strings, i'd suggest trying the 18g version of it. you should try to use the thinnest gauge string that you can and are willing to deal with. you'll break them a lot quicker, but they usually provide better all around performance.

mikeler
01-29-2010, 06:17 PM
just varies depending on the player. i let a friend borrow my racket with a fresh string job and he killed the strings in under half an hour. needless to say, that was the last time i lent him a racket.

if you're getting that much life out of your strings, i'd suggest trying the 18g version of it. you should try to use the thinnest gauge string that you can and are willing to deal with. you'll break them a lot quicker, but they usually provide better all around performance.

Excellent post. If you don't break strings, use 18g! It will only help your game.