PDA

View Full Version : Why mains before crosses?

Sublime
01-29-2010, 03:38 PM
I've never strung a racquet myself, so the answer might be obvious to someone who has. Why are mains always strung first and crosses second? Just curious.

autumn_leaf
01-29-2010, 04:21 PM
just makes more sense since doing the weaving takes the longest time and there are more mains than crosses in pretty much all racquets. so it's just a time saver. not sure if there are any other reasons.

tennisdude083
01-29-2010, 04:27 PM
just makes more sense since doing the weaving takes the longest time and there are more mains than crosses in pretty much all racquets. so it's just a time saver. not sure if there are any other reasons.

Most racquets have more crosses than mains...

I guess your reason would make more sense if it is due to the fact that mains are longer?

masterxfob
01-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Most racquets have more crosses than mains...

I guess your reason would make sense more due to the fact that mains are longer?

perhaps he meant that the mains are longer? :confused:

as far as the question is concerned, i have no idea. a little insight yulitle?

Sublime
01-29-2010, 04:32 PM
My best guess. There are more crosses than mains, so there would be more weeves to pull through when pulling tension on a main woven through crosses than the other way.

JT_2eighty
01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
I think it's more because of the fact that, on a two-point mount, for instance, if you did crosses first, the racquet would implode. Not sure how that would play out on a 6-point, but I think physics demands mains first, for racquet integrity.

charliefedererer
01-29-2010, 06:38 PM
I think it's more because of the fact that, on a two-point mount, for instance, if you did crosses first, the racquet would implode. Not sure how that would play out on a 6-point, but I think physics demands mains first, for racquet integrity.

Yes, it is because of the forces incurred during stringing that it is important to string the mains before the crosses.

Travis Fong
01-30-2010, 04:31 PM
My best guess. There are more crosses than mains, so there would be more weeves to pull through when pulling tension on a main woven through crosses than the other way.

Think about this.

You string and weave a racquet, there are X number of weaves throughout the racquet. Then you string and weave the racquet mains then crosses. Are there any less or any more weaves when you look at the racquet? No, your hypothesis is ridiculous.

When you string the mains first your essentially pull the top and bottom halves of the frame together. Because of a frames oval shape it has more strength in this direction to begin with. so pulling from the sides does not cause an issue.

Pulling from the sides first, does cause warping obviously because there is less holding the two sides from pulling into each other.

Sublime
01-30-2010, 06:49 PM
You string and weave a racquet, there are X number of weaves throughout the racquet. Then you string and weave the racquet mains then crosses. Are there any less or any more weaves when you look at the racquet? No, your hypothesis is ridiculous.

You misunderstood me. On a 16x19 racquet, you'd be pulling tension through the friction of 19 weeves instead of 16, if you did crosses first.

It's moot anyway, the real answer is the stress on the racquet, like you and others have said.

kiteboard
01-31-2010, 04:36 PM
You misunderstood me. On a 16x19 racquet, you'd be pulling tension through the friction of 19 weeves instead of 16, if you did crosses first.

It's moot anyway, the real answer is the stress on the racquet, like you and others have said.

Exactly......