PDA

View Full Version : Possible to increase power on RDX500 Mid?

newnuse
04-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Greetings,

I demo-ed a RDX500 Mid last night. I liked the control, stability and feedback. It has a nice "old school" pingy kind of feel.

Due to the balance of the racket, I had trouble snapping my wrist through the serve for additional power. I also did not generate enough power on my volleys to blow it by my oppenents like I'm used to with other rackets.

Has anybody tried lead at the 3 & 9 o'clock position on this racket? Did it increase the power on serves and volleys?

PS, I don't know what the string tension of the racket was...

federer_nadal
04-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Get a powerful string andstring it low

Matt_Williamson
04-27-2005, 05:08 PM
The string is the thing. You can add weight to the racquet for a "heavier" ball, but you'll move the flex, or sweet spot when you do, changing the feel and swing of the frame. Also, you'll need to generate more racquet head speed. Some folks like a + racquet 27.25 or 27.5 for more leverage on serve.

I like Luxillon BB Rough or BB 16ga... gives me plenty of "pop" and durability. If you wanna hybrid string, Pacific gut is more playable and durable than Babolat and BDE.

MW

Redflea
04-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Due to the balance of the racket, I had trouble snapping my wrist through the serve for additional power. I also did not generate enough power on my volleys to blow it by my oppenents like I'm used to with other rackets.

It's 8 pts head light, if I remember correctly...I would think the head-light nature of the racquet would make it easier for you to snap. Was your previous racquet lighter overall?

Agree w/others that strings/tension are your best bets for tweaking power...demo racquets can be all over the board in terms of tension & string types.

It may also be a case of needing a bit more time to use the racquet to adjust your timing to it. It is a low power/control racquet, but I find it powerfull enough to hit winners from the baseline or net. It does favor a full swing...

newnuse
04-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Actually my previous rackets are heavier I believe. Wilson Graphite Force, Sting 2, PS 85", Fox Ceramic 210 w/lead

Something about the RDX, I can't seem to whip the racket head through when I need extra power. I think it's the balance, very stable, makes you swing nice and smooth.

Must be a Yonex thing for me. I remember borrowing a Yonex back in the 80's and not being able to drive the racket through the ball

Kevo
04-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Try the Yonex 850 Spin at around 50 - 52lbs. Produced a lot of zing for me. A little extra weight can help too, but I would try string first.

lacoster
04-27-2005, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=Redflea]It's 8 pts head light, if I remember correctly...I would think the head-light nature of the racquet would make it easier for you to snap. Was your previous racquet lighter overall?

QUOTE]

Actually, being head-heavy would make a frame easier to "snap" with the extra mass at the very top of the frame. In addition to the string variable that has already been mentioned, add lead weight exclusively at the 12 o'clock position of the head and you should have that power you want.
________
Satanism, The Church Of Satan Advice (http://www.religionboard.org/satanism-church-satan/)

Redflea
04-27-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm no physics major (and will likely prove that shortly), but in a racquet, doesn't more mass farther away from power source (hand) = slower acceleration...

If we're talking about "snapping" a tennis racquet head, getting very rapid acceleration, more weight in the head seems like it would have to be harder to get that acceleration going. The closer the weight that I'm moving is to my wrist/hand (power source) the faster I should be able to move it (and ultimately the head), assuming a "rigid" structure like a racquet. Right?

Kevo
04-28-2005, 07:28 AM
Yes. Mass closer to hand means easier to swing. Just pick up a sledge hammer and snap that with your wrist. I think you see what I mean. Then there is choking up in baseball. Lots of smaller kids have to employ that technique to get the bat around.

So heavy and headlight is the way to get the most mass with the quickest swing. Of course you can always just go super light. I've hit with some super light racquets that feel pretty good. I think you mainly need a heavy racquet if you're hitting against players that really hit hard. Then you need the heavier stick to keep from getting blown off the court.

ferrari_827
04-28-2005, 08:13 AM
The solution is to wrap one layer of lead tape in the lower part of the handle. This will make it more headlight and easier to snap.

NoBadMojo
04-28-2005, 08:32 AM
sounds like the solution is to use another racquet. if you need more power, you need to swing faster using good technique or buy a more powerful frame. addng lead only adds juice if you can swing the weighted frame as fast as you could before you added the weight. people seem to think this frame is very low powered. lead tape does not do magical transformations 99% of the time. lots of people seem to add lead for more power when they cant seem to swing what they have fast enough to begin with (which seems to be this guys prob) and it kind of compounds the problem.then they spin the ball less as well because they lack racquethead speed even more, and now they have low powered w. no spin for control. all these people suggesting stuff for this guy w.o knowing anything about his game or his abilities.

Redflea
04-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Actually my previous rackets are heavier I believe. Wilson Graphite Force, Sting 2, PS 85", Fox Ceramic 210 w/lead

Something about the RDX, I can't seem to whip the racket head through when I need extra power. I think it's the balance, very stable, makes you swing nice and smooth.

Must be a Yonex thing for me. I remember borrowing a Yonex back in the 80's and not being able to drive the racket through the ball

If you were hitting successfully w/the PS 85 recently it sounds like you've got the necessary muscle...sounds like the mid may not be for you...that's what makes horse races. :-)

newnuse
04-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Yeah Redflea, you maybe right, but it just looks sooo cool

I'm getting back into the game after long layoff. Swinging fast enough is not a problem for me. I generate enough power on my volleys, flat serves and groundies with my old rackets.

I'm trying to join the 21st century with a new racket. Tried the Diablo (okay), like the RDX. If it had just little more power on volleys and serves, this racket would be great for me.

ferrari_827
04-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Newuse, try adding lead tape in the handle. When I did this, I could whip the racket easier and faster than originally. You don't even need much. Just going around once near the buttcap makes alot of difference. I would try it before giving up....

Kevo
04-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Also keep in mind that strings do make quite a difference in that frame. Adjusting tension and string may be all you need for a little extra pop. If you are looking for a huge difference then the frame may not be right for you.

Also, if you don't mind, can you state if the racquet is a TW demo? If it is, can you tell what string it has in it right now.

newnuse
04-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the replys.
My friend got the demo from a local shop.

I pretty sure I'm going to buy one. I only need a little extra pop, so I should be able tweak the racket enough.

Redflea
04-28-2005, 07:12 PM
:-) The old "can't resist it" disease...

Have fun w/it...most of the folks here appear to like it strung down in the mid-50's.