PDA

View Full Version : recommend good feel cheap string

aznstyle
01-29-2010, 08:05 PM
I've only ever used pro supex big ace since I broke the strings that came with my lmr. Immediately I noticed the lack of feel. Now I'm looking for a good all around string with great feel, preferably under $20, though I'd be willing to pay slightly over if the performance is that great. Any recommendations?

masterxfob
01-29-2010, 10:53 PM
get a bunch of cheap strings, a couple sets of each, and experiment with different tensions. i tried some of the more expensive poly and multi strings out there before settling on a cheap $30/reel syn gut. what you consider 'good feel' strings will differ from person to person.

KenC
01-29-2010, 11:41 PM
The two most widely suggested as best are Bab XCel Power and TF NRG2. Both are excellent strings and play similarly to each other. TF X-One is a great string and you either love it or hate it. All three of these are rather expensive.

On the more economical side its hard to beat Pro Supex Maxim Touch. POSG and Gosen OSM are others. A slight step up is stuff like TF MultiFeel, Bab Addiction, even Bab N.Vy.

Why not go to the local master stringer and seek his advice and work out a deal in which he helps you find the perfect string and the perfect tension for how you play? Its a small investment that could have a noticeable impact on your progress.

bab pure drive roddick
01-30-2010, 07:03 AM
buy some nxt 16 or 17, i get it from wilson for $12 per pack but thats heavily discounted. it has the best feel ive ever played with (never played with gut) and it seems impossible to hit the ball out butyou still get power from it

Valjean
01-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Since you started out with something firm, a good "reset" string for you now might well be Tecnifibre's Multifeel...

aznstyle
01-30-2010, 07:19 PM
ty guys for the suggestions. i read some reviews, and x-one seems to interest me; does anyone else have any second thoughts on this string? but im wondering, why is there such a huge discrepancy among the opinions of it? i would think if one person feels like they get a lot of spin and feel, another would to. it just seems a little odd so many ppl would say its above average, yet so many ppl also say its below avg.

masterxfob
01-30-2010, 10:16 PM
ty guys for the suggestions. i read some reviews, and x-one seems to interest me; does anyone else have any second thoughts on this string? but im wondering, why is there such a huge discrepancy among the opinions of it? i would think if one person feels like they get a lot of spin and feel, another would to. it just seems a little odd so many ppl would say its above average, yet so many ppl also say its below avg.

it's a preference, there is no one magic tennis string that everyone will like. there's also no proven study that states whether a certain string produces greater spin/control/feel as every person is unique.

aznstyle
01-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Oh. I don't know much at all about strings, but am i wrong to assume that how abrasive (and therefore gripping) a string is at a micro level is a major factor in whether it produces spin?

masterxfob
01-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh. I don't know much at all about strings, but am i wrong to assume that how abrasive (and therefore gripping) a string is at a micro level is a major factor in whether it produces spin?

i'll say it even though people will kick and scream... there is no proof that a certain string, string pattern, or racket can produce greater this or that. if there were, most other string/racket manufacturers would soon go out of business. it's more about what the individual perceives he's getting out of a certain string or racket.

KenC
01-30-2010, 11:15 PM

I used X-One for awhile and can vouch that it is a great tennis string. It plays really crisp, and at the same tension can generate more power than the typical multis, and it has good durability.

What people don't like about X-One is that it plays TOO crisp until the string breaks in, and some say it is bad for the arm in this period. I did notice that it has a 1 hour break in period but it was OK for me. My niggle is that it costs 25 here in Italy, which is about $35 (and climbing). That's just too much for me as I break strings about every 20 hours and try to play about 10-15 hours a week.

When it comes to string, its not really about how much spin a string can produce, its how the string reacts when it comes in contact with the ball. What you really are searching for is the string that gives you the best feel at contact that leads to the power you need to generate and the control you need to put the ball where you want it. I tried a lot of strings and finally discovered MultiFeel is best for me. I suggest you try a good amount of different strings and string types and sure enough you will find one that just grooves with you right from the beginning.

kiteboard
01-31-2010, 05:35 PM
I've only ever used pro supex big ace since I broke the strings that came with my lmr. Immediately I noticed the lack of feel. Now I'm looking for a good all around string with great feel, preferably under $20, though I'd be willing to pay slightly over if the performance is that great. Any recommendations?

Buy a reel of msv focus hex 1.18mm, works out to be about $3.90 per string job.

aznstyle
01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
what's co poly? the fact that theres polyester makes me feel a bit reluctant as nice of a string as it sounds.

TennisNinja
01-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Yeah, Multifeel is a good one.