PDA

View Full Version : Storing Reels

SlvrDragon50
01-29-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm interested in buying a reel now that I've encountered some cheap strings that are actually somewhat decent; however, I do not string my rackets myself.

Because of this, I don't string my rackets too frequently and I'm wondering how long a reel of string will last (660')? Is there a certain way to store it?

crocon
01-29-2010, 08:43 PM
I've had some poly strings for 2 years or so and they seemed fine. I'm not sure about the best way to store them, but I don't think you can go wrong with keeping them out of the sunlight and extreme temperatures (whatever that is for a tennis string)

jim e
01-30-2010, 07:47 AM
I'm interested in buying a reel now that I've encountered some cheap strings that are actually somewhat decent; however, I do not string my rackets myself.

Because of this, I don't string my rackets too frequently and I'm wondering how long a reel of string will last (660')? Is there a certain way to store it?

Like what was said, keep it out of direct sunlight, and in a moderate temperature location and you will be set for years. I still have some reels that are getting close to 40 years old,(1971-72 era strings), and are still usable.

southend
01-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Like what was said, keep it out of direct sunlight, and in a moderate temperature location and you will be set for years. I still have some reels that are getting close to 40 years old,(1971-72 era strings), and are still usable.

What's your experience with shelf life for gut?

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
01-30-2010, 11:44 AM
for gut, as long as you keep it in an airtight bag with no moisture and no direct sunlight, it should be fine for a long time.

SlvrDragon50
01-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Ah well, I'd be buying Pro Supex Blue Gear and Gosen Micro probably.

Thanks for the help!

jim e
01-30-2010, 01:09 PM
What's your experience with shelf life for gut?

The longest I kept gut was for approx. 2-3 years,(and that was before the sealed foil pack days).
I still have a set of Bow Brand gut from 1972 era, its ashame it is in 2 -17' sections as that was the typical length needed for a wooden racquet back then.I may use it sometime for a cross string to see how it strings and hits.
Just keep gut sealed as best as possible, and since todays have foil sealed packs, keep it in a decent environment and they should last a good amount of time.

nickarnold2000
01-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Nowhere (on a cold rainy Saturday) where the kids can "discover" them!!!:shock:

autumn_leaf
02-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Nowhere (on a cold rainy Saturday) where the kids can "discover" them!!!:shock:

talking from experience here?

also i just have mine in a box in a currently unused room. never really thought about it. it's indoors so with most things, moderate temperature with minimal humidity and not a lot of direct sunlight and you should be fine.

MJHendrickson21
02-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Fernando Gonzalez stores his reels under his sofa cushions in his home in Chile.

iplaybetter
02-04-2010, 08:21 AM
lasts plenty long, you should get 17ish stringjobs (depending on your stringer, but should not be less)
i have customers who keep their reels in large freezer bags just for connivence

nickarnold2000
02-05-2010, 05:52 AM
talking from experience here?

also i just have mine in a box in a currently unused room. never really thought about it. it's indoors so with most things, moderate temperature with minimal humidity and not a lot of direct sunlight and you should be fine.
Oh ya!!!!!!!

armsty
02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I just throw my reels into the cupboard with the other tennis stuff (Stencils, ink, grommets, grips, string etc.

old coach
02-11-2010, 03:24 AM
If it's not a Nat Gut - nothing to worry. Poly in a room temp can stay for a long time.

Standupnfall
02-11-2010, 04:47 AM
I keep mine in a big plastic bin inside Ziplock Freezer bags at the bottom of my closet. No sun and no air

blaby
02-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Fernando Gonzalez stores his reels under his sofa cushions in his home in Chile.

someone snuck into gonzos house :wink:

Steezmuffin
02-11-2010, 08:25 PM
I store mine in my tennis bag. The stringer is at work and I always want it if I pop a string.