PDA

View Full Version : My recent experience with counterweighting

erik-the-red
04-27-2005, 05:29 PM
A stock TT Bandit OS is about 9.9 ounces strung and is 6 points headlight. I added about 4.5 grams to the head, making it even more head heavy.

Yesterday, I added some NAILS to the handle. I measured it today and it's ~336 grams or 11.8 ounces. It is definitely head light now.

When adding the nails, I used foam to cushion it. However, when I got on court and hit with, MAN! If you make an off-center hit, then the nails will rattle so loud that somebody on the far side of the courts can hear it.

What other materials should be used for counterweighting? How can you cushion them so they won't rattle around?

Thanks in advance.

tennissavy
04-27-2005, 08:33 PM
don't use nails. follow the instructions on this site.

Redflea
04-27-2005, 09:20 PM
A friend of mine once used fishing weights...didn't see what he did to keep things from rattling around. Maybe it was big enough to kind of jam in.

You can use lead tape, of course, balled up and stuffed into the handle. That's what I've used in the past when tweaking weight/balance.

bee
04-27-2005, 09:58 PM
I've been happy with just putting strips of lead tape on the larger sides of the handle and one wrapped around the handle just above the butt or around the very end of the butt. Maybe inside the handle is even better. Apparently some people think it is.

kevin
04-27-2005, 10:10 PM
I use a lot of clear Silicone Glue to hold the nails.

Lambsscroll
04-28-2005, 06:22 AM
All you need to do is add lead tape right where the handle tapers down to the throat. Just under the finishing tape of the grip.

Gaines Hillix
04-28-2005, 10:23 AM
If the handle is hollow you need to stuff it full of cotton up to the point where you want to add the counter wieght. I use fishing sinkers or rolled up lead tape. I then use Plumbers Goo or similar products which are clear and dry to a flexible consistency instead of hard. Then put in the weight, a little more glue and then finish off with more cotton, then reinstall the butt cap. If it's a solid foam you can drill chambers in it and put the weights in there. Again, they need to be glued in and any extra space needs to be filled with cotton. If you are experimenting with how much weight to add, don't glue the weights in place until you've gotten the weight and balance where you want it.

Steve Huff
04-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Instead of rolling up the lead tape, it's pretty easy to apply it to the inside of a handle. Most handles have a sheet of graphite that divides the handle in half (on the inside of the handle). You can fold the lead tape around this divider and use a screwdriver to press it down so that it adhere's all the way to it's end. You can stack the strips of lead over it too, so you can get just about as much weight as you'd want.