PDA

View Full Version : General racquet stringing question

thekubiaks
01-30-2010, 03:43 AM
I string my racquets with a drop weight Gamma machine. I place the racquet in the 6 point harness and snug all six points with light to moderate finger pressure. My first pull of the string is towards the head of the racquet.

When I make my first pull , the head of the racquet frame stretches just enough that it no longer touches the attachment point at the head of the racquet. There is about a 1/8" gap because the top of the racquet has distorted just slightly because of the pull.

My question is.....Should I retighten that attachment point so that it touches the frame again or should I just let the racquet return to its original untentioned state when I make my next pull toward the handle???

Thanks

armsty
01-30-2010, 03:59 AM
I never pull full tension on the first main. I go about 60% of whatever it is, then 90% on the 2nd main then I pull 100% tension, allowing the string to even out over the first 3 crosses... adjusting tension on the last one till it won't adjust any longer. Makes more sense if you saw what I did.

86golf
01-30-2010, 04:15 AM
a couple to 3 millimeters of distortion is normal but it sounds to me like you aren't starting tight enough. I squeeze the 12'oclock and 6 o'clock clamp with my index finger and thumb and then turn to hand tighten. This is to eliminate any friction from grommets that are tight at those positions. The other clamps, I will hand tighten and if I see distortion I'll back off.

FYI I have the same 6 pt mount but in the electronic version.

Is it a flexy frame? My O3 tour use to flex a lot when stringing. Just be sure the top and bottom braces are against the frame and not pinching between grommets.