PDA

View Full Version : New comparative reviews now posted at TW

TW Staff
04-27-2005, 04:29 PM
A whole bunch of new comparative reviews for your reading pleasure:

BreakPoint compares the Dunlop M-Fil 200, the Babolat AeroPro Control and the Volkl Tour 10 MP Gen II
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/BreakP04.html

Rabbit compares the Babolat AeroPro Control+, the Fischer Pro One FT and the Tecnifibre TFeel 305 XL
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/rabbit03.html

Colpo compares the Wilson nPS 95, the Fischer Pro Tour and the Babolat Pure Storm Team
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/playtests/Colpo02.html

TripleB compares the ProKennex Type R, Babolat AeroPro Drive and the Volkl Tour 10 Generation II
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/playtests/tripb05.html

Radical Tourist compares the Fischer Pro Tour Extreme FT, Prince Tour NXG Graphite MP and the Babolat Pure Control Team Plus MP
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/RTOUR02.html

Chris, TW

Liebestod
04-27-2005, 08:00 PM
BreakPoint's review is excellent, which compares the latest professional racquets of Dunlop, Babolat and Volkl with detailed descriptions. I enjoy the review very much. thanks.

BreakPoint
04-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the very kind words, Liebestod. I hope to continue doing a good job in the future. I'm glad you enjoyed my review!

kv581
04-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Wow, Aeropro Drive is ranked higher than Volkl Gen2 in volleying? I honestly thought Gen2 is one of the best volleying racquets with which I've played.

Mies
04-28-2005, 12:06 AM
I play with a Volkl T 10 Gen II myself and I can relate to BreakPoints review (nice work btw!) but TripleB's conclusions left me with my jaw on the floor :) ....... Nearly every conclusion is contradicting my own experience (and many others) with the frame. I guess we conclude that the frame is not fit for medium swingstyles....

Anyways, always nice to read other peoples opinions.....

Regards,
Maurice

Go Tennis
04-28-2005, 02:53 AM
Very good comparatives. The strings & tensions will be apreciates.

AndrewD
04-28-2005, 03:14 AM
BP,

excellent review. I found a little more power and stability in the GenII but I was using gut strings. Otherwise, I think you're spot on with what you said, especially about its prowess at the net and suitability for doubles. Surprised you mentioned getting more spin on serves than your regular ProStaff 6.0 Original 95 but less slice or 'bite' than the old 95. I quite enjoyed the slice potential of the GenII so it makes me curious to try the PS95 LOL.

Again, congrats.

jaap deboeck
04-28-2005, 04:09 AM
Colpo, the completley new Fischer Tour is not a longer stick as you assert! Their other Tour (FT), based upon the Revolution Pro Classic ofrmthe late 90's, is longer, a bit thinner and almost 1 ounce heavier.

Colpo
04-28-2005, 05:42 AM
jaap, keep your shorts on - I never specified by how much the Fischer was a longer frame than the others, and I did not measure them scientifically. I DID line them up side by side by side on a countertop and found the Fischer to be 1/8" to a 1/4" longer than the other two. Fischers are notorious for not taking into account their buttcap shape or bumperguard height in tabulating frame length. Plus, the Fischer had what appeared to be the longest face of the bunch (measured from 6 to 12 o'clock), which will generally decrease a frame's twist resistance and make its swing feel longer. All that said, I'm not discounting that I could've been more specific as to what I meant by "longer" as applied to the Fischer in the review. Thanks (?) for your comments.

spam
04-28-2005, 06:28 AM
V surprised about the lack of power you describe on the Volkl gen 2-I found excellent pace on both groundies and serve,certainly more than my previous racquet the Gen 1.I think it plays alot like the Pro Tour 280 from the back of the court,smooth and flexi,but with more maneuverability at net and better spin potential.

Mies
04-28-2005, 06:36 AM
The Tour 10 Gen II is very sensitive to string selection and tension. I have mine strung up with a very flexible 1.3 mm multifilament at 27 kgs (Iso-Speed Control) and have no problems with generating too little pace.

Regards,
Maurice

BreakPoint
04-28-2005, 11:20 AM
BP,

excellent review. I found a little more power and stability in the GenII but I was using gut strings. Otherwise, I think you're spot on with what you said, especially about its prowess at the net and suitability for doubles. Surprised you mentioned getting more spin on serves than your regular ProStaff 6.0 Original 95 but less slice or 'bite' than the old 95. I quite enjoyed the slice potential of the GenII so it makes me curious to try the PS95 LOL.

Again, congrats.

Thanks AndrewD,
Yes, it's true. The PS 6.0 95 slices better than the Tour 10 Gen II IMHO. I think the Gen II gets more spin on serves mostly due to its more aerodynamic beam (straight on, not profile) which allows you to really whip through and brush the ball very fast. This factor doesn't really come into play as much on backhand slice shots, as you're mostly cutting through the air with the edge of the racquet and with a slower, more controlled stroke, rather than whipping the head through as on a slice serve. The more flexible hoop on the Gen II may also help it generate more spin on serve, but the more stable hoop on the PS 95 gives more control and bite on slices.

BTW, out of the hundreds of racquets I've tried, I've yet to find one that slices better than the PS 6.0 95 or feels as good on the slice.

jtreed2000
04-28-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm new to the forum but I'm glad it didn't take long to find another PS 6.0 95 fan. I just bought another as backup and can't wait to string and test it out. My question is this: I love the HL balance and almost cannot play with anything else at this point, but I dislike the vibration and lack of power in the top 30% of the hoop. Something a little weight might fix? It seems like i read you weight yours so I was wondering what you use specifically. I haven't tried weighting mine yet but doubt I'll go more than 5g at a time at 10/2 or 3/9. What have your results been? Thanks!

For those of you who haven't tried this frame, read more. If you like something you can generate lots of head speed and control with, give it a try. The 12.2oz weight is actually much less with a light gauge string.

BreakPoint
04-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the TW message board, jtreed2000!

Yes, there are lots of PS 6.0 95 fans here. Actually, I use my PS 6.0 95's stock with just an overgrip and a small, light "O" ring grommet for a vibration dampener - no lead tape at all. I tried using lead tape on the head but it just took away some of the racquet's maneuverability at the net. Since I serve and volley quite a lot, I decided I'd trade greater maneuverability for a little less stability from the baseline. Yes, a little lead tape at 2/10 should move the sweetspot a bit higher in the head where the dead spot is. I have learned to live with the dead spot on the upper hoop and don't mind it anymore. Sometimes I actually use it to hit drop volleys or to take pace off of the ball by aiming to hit the ball on the dead spot. :D

BTW, if you haven't yet, you may want to put your vote in this poll: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=48778

You'll see that there are just as many PS 6.0 95 lovers here as there are PS 6.0 85 lovers, so you're in good company.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
04-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Rabbit,
My fellow Volkl C10 Pro MP user. I was intrigued by your comments on the Babolat AeroPro Control +. Can you compare these two racquets in terms of groundstrokes, volleys, serves, stability, manuverability, and feel? I'd appreciate it very much. By the way, I suggest you try this hybrid in your C10's: Signum Pro Poly Plasma 17's in the mains and Laserfibre Synthetic Gut 16 in the crosses. It's a great setup!

antontd
04-28-2005, 03:20 PM
Could you guys review the Flexpoints? Id like to know how Flexpoint really works. I didnt like TW reviews it was like they would say the same about any new racquet.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
04-28-2005, 03:35 PM
I agree. Basically a commercial. Useless.

Kirko
04-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Rabbit great review ! The Babolat review got me really worked up; like you I'm a traditionalist, but {I'llspeak for myself lookng for an edge} and I hit from from the back court period. one question I hope you can answer I would appreciate it. How does the aero compare to the prince longbody that is if you ever used the 28" prince . Thankk you !

Rabbit
05-02-2005, 08:48 AM
No problem, but this is going to be from memory; it's been a while since I hit with the AeroControl. The C10 is just what it claims to be, perfect. :) That said, the AeroPro was very unique in that hitting with it invited you to swing harder. The frame just made you feel like you could whale on the ball and it would go in. Sadly, it didn't when I hit away, but the harder you hit with the frame, the better it felt to you. I think I could get adjusted to it, but I have a problem justifying moving from the C10. The short side of the frame is at the net. I didn't care much for the AeroControl at net, but then again, that might just be an adjustment as well.

Rabbit
05-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Sorry, I've never used a Prince Longbody. I hit once with the Michael Chang and didn't like it at all.