PDA

View Full Version : Best Multi for Babolat PSL?

c_hari_c
01-30-2010, 05:59 AM
Since the racket is a 18 X 20 string pattern, I would like to get the best arm friendly multi in a thinner gauge 17 or 18 and put it as full job on the racket. Please suggest me some multis. Price is not an issue.
Guys who are already using this racket, please input.

Thanks.

Tar Heel Tennis
01-30-2010, 06:07 AM
since price is not an issue, and you are concerned about an arm friendly string, use natural gut. the Klip Legend is $26/set and comes in 17g and 18g.

Since you have 3 PSL's, string two with the gut, and use something like Babolat Excel Premium in the third. This is the setup I use - 2 frames with nat gut, and one with Excel Power to use when the conditions do not favor gut.

c_hari_c
01-30-2010, 06:11 AM
How is the playability and durability of Klip Legend 17? I might go with that string.

Tar Heel Tennis
01-30-2010, 06:17 AM
^ it's fantastic. i have one frame with Klip Legend 16g - has been strung since August, and is in excellent condition. tons of spin, very powerful, great control. Also, I have elbow issues with harsher string, and I play without using an elbow band when I use my frames (PDR+C) with the gut. I do wear the band when I play with the Excel Power.

schap02
01-30-2010, 06:28 AM
Another vote for Nat Gut here - my absolute favorite setup for power/spin/control...ect...is VS 16g Mains @ 57, Duraflex 16g Crosses @ 56 - try it once or twice and then install some string savers, dynamite setup...

I recently tested Prince Nat Gut 17g mains @ 59 and Luxilon Big Ace crosses @55 .... Haven't played with it enough to generate a ton of feedback but it plays like butter, not as much power as the setup up top but better control...

Still no racquets Hari but hopefully today
:)

c_hari_c
01-30-2010, 06:38 AM
Is the natural gut supposed to be too powerful? I have vs team 17 on one of my rackets and hit it with it last night after freshly strung. I felt like balls were flying from my racket. Is Klip less powerful that the babolat vs ? If every natural gut is way too powerful, I have the backup option of going to NXT Tour or Yonex 850 as I have several sets of those strings in my bag.

russell
01-30-2010, 09:04 AM
I strung my PSL with a full bed of Gaucho gut (16g) at 58/56 lbs and the extra punch was most welcome for me in this relatively low powered frame. NRG2 17 felt like a pillow in this frame.

SlapShot
01-30-2010, 03:05 PM
I use gut in the mains of my PSL, and it's a great combo - plenty of pop, and solid bite on the ball. Stringlife is definitely very good as well - I would say that I get 2-3x the life out of a gut/poly hybrid than I would out of a multi/poly hybrid.

c_hari_c
01-30-2010, 04:01 PM
I had my second hitting session in as many days with the full VS and I just cannot seem to control the ball. I also haven't been playing much which could be a reason for my inconsistency. I think I will start several hitting sessions once spring hits and then decide whether to stick with natural gut because right now it is too early to tell.

Valjean
01-30-2010, 04:11 PM
With that dense string pattern, I wonder if you could get away with Alpha's Gut 2000 in an 18...

mikeler
01-30-2010, 05:28 PM
I use Maxim Touch 17 in my Babolat PSTs at the lowest tension. So far, I've got almost 12 sets of singles play on a full job of it. I used to break strings like crazy when I used a stiff oversize stick.